Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with real high safety scores in urban, high traffic areas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - like many I'm trying to qualify for the beta and I've been hovering around 94-95 SS for the past month or two. The problem is that I can't seem to drive safely/appropriately and get it higher in a high traffic urban environment (aggressive drivers, heavy traffic, getting cut off, pedestrians who just don't care if a car is coming or are in a crosswalk, lots of stoplights, etc). Anyone in such an area qualify for beta? If so, what is your score what are you secrets?

I mean, in 35 years of driving I have been in a total of one accident that wasn't my fault...obviously a pretty safe, attentive driver without needing any score to tell you that. I so sort of wonder if Tesla is getting good (well-rounded) FSD data if the majority of what they are getting is from rural or lightly populated areas just because those are the drivers that qualify the most easily. That would not be ideal.

Reactions: CDrury
I had that problem since I live in midtown ATL. The way to "fix" is a long trip 100% on AP. As long as you are on AP you score can ONLY go up. AP any chance you get in town too. No matter what happens your score will go up.

Also I believe the algorithm for selecting favors those who use more AP.

Reactions: quarmy
I live outside NYC is a high traffic area and had a score btw 90 and 98 for the past year. I did get FSD beta last month and I was lucky. Had a long road trip around the time of the wider release and my score was 96. I was getting dinged left and right for small things (car pulls out suddenly in front of me, I see it and even though there is plenty of time to break and as I’m about too break, I would get dinged and my score would drop) Was very frustrating and I had actually stopped trying for a good score and went back to enjoying driving it. On my trip back, I stopped at a SC and was on the Tesla WiFi at the charging station and suddenly I got a notice to upgrade and was shocked it was the beta software. I had also been away from WiFi for a bit and was on software 2022.20.8. Again, I think I got lucky somehow. It’s almost unusable in my area. Because of the traffic and btw it and myself turning it off constantly. But I’m trying.

Reactions: quarmy
....and Corey2002 gave the best answer for that situation. If Green and no lead car then tap the gear lever stalk down to confirm a Green light. What more are you asking?
This. As you approach an intersection, a red or green line will appear at the edge of the intersection.
When thenline is green (I believe) you should drive through without issue.
When its red, either pull down the gear stalk, or press the accelerator a bit, and the line will turn from red to green and you should then continue through.
If the stoplight is red, the line may change to green but still won't proceed until the stoplight changes