Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything to be worried about

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was adding some gas to our lawnmower in the garage and a small bit of gasoline spilled on the floor (which I can smell in my garage.) this was hours ago and the garage floor is dry, but I'm up now nervous that some how my car charging tonight could some how catch fire (the gas would be under where my car was parked.) It's 10:30 pm where I'm from and I'm wondering if I should go buy some kitty litter and put it on my garage floor to absorb any gas in the ground, park my car not in the garage tonight (and this not charging) or if I'm just overthinking...any advice, so I can hopefully sleep in piece.

(I somehow think a fire is going to start on the ground below my car while I'm sleeping, and my car battery will explode on me.)

Today I was adding some gas to our lawnmower in the garage and a small bit of gasoline spilled on the floor (which I can smell in my garage.) this was hours ago and the garage floor is dry, but I'm up now nervous that some how my car charging tonight could some how catch fire (the gas would be under where my car was parked.) It's 10:30 pm where I'm from and I'm wondering if I should go buy some kitty litter and put it on my garage floor to absorb any gas in the ground, park my car not in the garage tonight (and this not charging) or if I'm just overthinking...any advice, so I can hopefully sleep in piece.

(I somehow think a fire is going to start on the ground below my car while I'm sleeping, and my car battery will explode on me.)

Its no more likely to do that than if you parked a regular combustion engine car in there, so no there isnt anything to worry about as far as your car battery.

Reactions: M3PDenver
Upvote 0
It's no more likely to do that than if you parked a regular combustion engine car in there, so no there isnt anything to worry about as far as your car battery.y previous car didn't

Its no more likely to do that than if you parked a regular combustion engine car in there, so no there isnt anything to worry about as far as your car battery.
My previous car didn't have an electric cord plugged into it...

Reactions: Benito1283
Upvote 0
Ok, I'm going to go to go sleep and trust all will be well. I'm going to guess I'm not the only Tesl owner who has spilled gas in their garage.
I see you’re in Dallas.
Have you ever driven through Odessa/midland area? Some nights the smell of gasoline/crude oil is so strong it seems like you can light a match and the entire place will catch fire.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just clean it up than waste your time wondering what would happen? It can't take more than 5 minutes to clean up...

Upvote 0
My previous car didn't have an electric cord plugged into it...

No, but your previous car had a ton of gasoline which is like a big bomb sitting there. Your hesitancy around gasoline shows you know the fact that your previous car had somewhere between 12-20 gallons of the stuff sitting there.

This "battery explode' line of thinking is a common talking point for anti ev types but its not rooted in any more danger than ICE cars doing the same thing. In fact, the last time someone brought up something like this, it was pointed out that if you google spontaneous car fires you will likely find 10 times as many ICE cars that randomly catch fire as EVs, but no one bats an eyelash at parking their ICE car in the garage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0