Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to turn the inside completely dark at night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, a totally blacked out screen would be great for night driving sometimes. The closest you can do is turn on screen cleaning mode. It makes the entire screen black (or dark gray).

Better than screen cleaning mode: Try turning on the doodle app, and setting the background to black instead of white. No bright words in the middle this way.

That works for when you're parked but when the car is in drive it won't allow the doodle app. I believe it won't allow screen cleaning either. So for my issue, where I only want the dash on dim and NO lights on the middles screen when driving in dark, this workaround doesn't work.

You can indeed engage both the Screen Cleaning page and the Doodle App while the vehicle is being driven.

Hmm, that's weird because I tested it and it popped out of doodle mode when I put the car in drive or reverse.
@Eevee , what firmware version are you on?

I want to note that the Screen Cleaning Mode is no longer an option. Somewhere in the past few firmware revisions (probably since V9), it has been disabled unless the car is in [P]ark.
This makes absolutely no sense to me as to why they would do this, but alas, it is true.

I, like others, can still engage the Doodle App while driving, however. I'm not sure why it kicks-out for @Eevee .

I drive with doodle mode on. It's the only app that can replace the map and runs on the rear layer like map does, so if you have rearview camera up or media (or both) they'll be on top of the doodle app. Close and scroll them down to see doodle again, or re launch it from th eT menu.

I drive with doodle mode on. It's the only app that can replace the map and runs on the rear layer like map does, so if you have rearview camera up or media (or both) they'll be on top of the doodle app. Close and scroll them down to see doodle again, or re launch it from th eT menu.
Then you are probably already familiar with how to enable the old V8-style spilt screen with maps and doodle.

Reactions: Chaserr
OK I tested again and I was able to drive with the doodle app on. I think my former tests were just in reverse, where it does shut off, so I assumed it only worked in park. Sorry for the confusion.

That said, it's not a good solution for what I want anyway. I think that a lot of us want to turn that screen all the way off and we just can't. We have legitimate reasons to want to turn it off and Tesla just doesn't listen to us or think it's a priority. They'd rather spend time, money, energy making a FART app than do this basic thing.

Reactions: JohnnyG and QUBO
OK I tested again and I was able to drive with the doodle app on. I think my former tests were just in reverse, where it does shut off, so I assumed it only worked in park. Sorry for the confusion.

That said, it's not a good solution for what I want anyway. I think that a lot of us want to turn that screen all the way off and we just can't. We have legitimate reasons to want to turn it off and Tesla just doesn't listen to us or think it's a priority. They'd rather spend time, money, energy making a FART app than do this basic thing.
Sadly... I agree...

Oddly enough, it's looking like they don't want us to have the screen off; I can't make any sense of it. They deliberately made it so that you can't clean the screen while not in [P]ark anymore. The Fireplace won't enable unless in [P]ark. I can understand not allowing the Atari games while in Drive / Reverse, but the others I mentioned are not any more of a distraction than the map, radio, browser, doodle app, etc.

I do like the idea of a stealth mode... Center screen backlight goes completely off, and the instrument cluster dims and shows the bare minimum required by law (and safety). Also, when entering such mode, it should automatically turn off the ambient lighting if it's already on.