Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 vs. AP 2.5 - Rain Sensing Wipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and we'll repeat the initial tesla line: rain sensing wipers will come eventually with an upgrade to software. has nothing to do with AP 2.0 vs 2.5. The only difference is the CPU/GPU used in that system.

We'll have to manually adjust our wipers like the rest of the plebs out there in the meantime. Or trade in our AP2.0 cars for 1.0 cars.

Let's just take anything Tesla / Elon says with a huge grain of salt, let's remember Elon also said three months maybe six months definitely, in a response to a question to when we'd see some divergent features in EAP/FSD. It's nine months now and still nothing to be see as far as the eye can look.

I honestly have given up on rain sensing wipers. If it was possible, I think they wouldve gotten it out of the way by now (like auto-high beams). The whole "we dont release until its perfect" is utter BS, evidenced by pretty much every update in the last 6 months or so be it AEB, auto high beam, free way speed Auto-steer, etc etc.

I dont expect to see rain sensing wipers show up on these cars anytime soon, and even if it does, I dont think it will be on AP2. So if its that big a deal to you, I'd place my bets on 2.5 and not on 2.

Reactions: EVCarGUy and croman
I honestly have given up on rain sensing wipers. If it was possible, I think they wouldve gotten it out of the way by now (like auto-high beams). The whole "we dont release until its perfect" is utter BS, evidenced by pretty much every update in the last 6 months or so be it AEB, auto high beam, free way speed Auto-steer, etc etc.

I dont expect to see rain sensing wipers show up on these cars anytime soon, and even if it does, I dont think it will be on AP2. So if its that big a deal to you, I'd place my bets on 2.5 and not on 2.

2.5 vs. 2 is immaterial for this feature but I agree Tesla isn't gun shy about releasing buggy software despite their words to the contrary.

Let's just take anything Tesla / Elon says with a huge grain of salt, let's remember Elon also said three months maybe six months definitely, in a response to a question to when we'd see some divergent features in EAP/FSD. It's nine months now and still nothing to be see as far as the eye can look.

well if we did Tesla would be a bankrupt company by now and out of business.

• Disagree
Reactions: voltaren
well if we did Tesla would be a bankrupt company by now and out of business.
There's time! :(

Honest question, as I am not a software coder person engineer: how big of a team would it take to tackle the rain problem? It's been missing so long, and from my position of ignorance I have wondered why they didn't just get someone to tackle it. But if it requires lots of people, well, then I have my answer.

There's time! :(

Honest question, as I am not a software coder person engineer: how big of a team would it take to tackle the rain problem? It's been missing so long, and from my position of ignorance I have wondered why they didn't just get someone to tackle it. But if it requires lots of people, well, then I have my answer.

I think many here would argue it's probably not a software issue, but a hardware one, or else it would already be fixed. There seems to be a hardware difference between AP1 and AP2 cars in regard to the rain sensor. As I understand it, the AP1 cars have a dedicated rain sensor on the windshield by the cameras and the AP2 cars either don't have one at all, or have a different one. Again, as I understand it, Tesla had planned on using one of the three main cameras for rain sensing and it seems that may not be a viable solution after all. If that's the case, rain sensing wipers in AP2 cars might never happen without a hardware upgrade. Maybe some others that know more can chime in as well.

I think many here would argue it's probably not a software issue, but a hardware one, or else it would already be fixed.
It could of course be an executive issue: Some big cahuna at Tesla simply decided they won't outfit the cars with rain sensing wiper functionality anymore. End of story.
:eek:
But seriously, I think it's software issues following from the lack of tried and trusted HW (dedicated rain sensor). Tesla is probably struggling with the algorithms involved with interpreting rain from camera input in a reliable and production worthy manner. Might've seemed easy but I suspect it's actually hard. No other car manufacturer in the world that I know of use vision-based rain sensing like Tesla seems to be trying.
As I understand it, the AP1 cars have a dedicated rain sensor on the windshield by the cameras and the AP2 cars either don't have one at all, or have a different one.
AP2 cars don't have the Hella unit at all. There's a microscopic chance that Tesla has developed it's own, in-house rain sensor that's positioned above the tri-cam block, but that's most likely for other sensing tasks like ambient light. Discussed half to death in other threads.
Again, as I understand it, Tesla had planned on using one of the three main cameras for rain sensing and it seems that may not be a viable solution after all.
That's the prevailing theory, yes.
If that's the case, rain sensing wipers in AP2 cars might never happen without a hardware upgrade.
That's unfortunately the case, yes.

and we'll repeat the initial tesla line: rain sensing wipers will come eventually with an upgrade to software. has nothing to do with AP 2.0 vs 2.5. The only difference is the CPU/GPU used in that system.

We'll have to manually adjust our wipers like the rest of the plebs out there in the meantime. Or trade in our AP2.0 cars for 1.0 cars.
i partially disagree: radar provider has been changed too switching from Bosch to Continental.

Reactions: BigD0g
by the way this is the model 3 AP 2.0 rain sensor
1006811-14981321245389838_origin.jpg

3EUihY

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing and BigD0g
We been down this road, that's the humidity sensor....

And the problem with the whole rain sensor is there/isn't there is that new owners are still being told that the wipers do do rain sensing in the videos they are being told to watch before delivery! Insane... At least redo that part of the outdated documentation.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Having seen a lot of software development in a lot of companies, I don't think the issue is how big the team is. My opinion is that Tesla, and I suspect Elon, simply aren't serious about software at all. I would never have allowed some of the stuff they've released to go out, it's been and continues to be grossly unprofessional.

From what I've seen, a relatively small department with good engineers and, above all, strong management support can accomplish a whole lot. So, in direct answer to your question, IMHO what they need is (a) for Elon and Tesla to get serious about software, and (b) Tesla to build a professional software department.

Them work similar to cars from the nineties. All manual, 4 settings: slow interval, fast interval, on and fast.

Except even at "fast" they are too slow for real driving rains. The motors are very powerful (they fling rainwater about 25 feet away from the car) but they are not fast. The motors are generate a ton of noise. Its unfortunate in almost all ways that an expensive car can have such substandard wipers. My leaf had like 32 speed settings and its fastest setting was adequate for everything but one serious derecho (where I pulled over).