Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Camera on Refresh S in Boston?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I was just at the Boston Prudential Tesla store and they had a Refresh Model S. Hot damn it's a beauty in person. The photos havent done the new front justice.

I snapped some photos of the AP camera up close. Does this look like the standard or not? I didn't have one for comparison.

Attachments

• 20160515_164502.jpg
    20160515_164502.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: beantobe
I would assume it's stepped to avoid light reflecting off the surface into the camera. With the right stepping it should have almost no surface/angles to reflect.

I think you're right. I've been reading the patent and I think they refer to it as the "glare shield". Patent US20150251605 - Vehicle vision system with camera and mirror mount

The glare shield 28 generally shields light reflection or glare from adversely affecting the light images received by the camera 2

@Krebnarb did you look at the VIN number? Some S were manually retrofitted with the new nose but are otherwise identical to the "classic", only VIN higher than (around) 140xxx would indicate its been manufactured post refresh announcement.
That been said I've seen such a high VIN refresh car on the parking lot of Paramus NJ and the camera looked the same :-(

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

@Krebnarb did you look at the VIN number? Some S were manually retrofitted with the new nose but are otherwise identical to the "classic", only VIN higher than (around) 140xxx would indicate its been manufactured post refresh announcement.
That been said I've seen such a high VIN refresh car on the parking lot of Paramus NJ and the camera looked the same :-(

@2virgule5, good call I should have checked! Next time I will. I think somebody on these forums should be getting his/her refreshed S this week (I think the earliest date I saw was the 20th?), so I guess we'll know soon enough! I'm not holding my breath though on the new AP hardware.... it's probably coming, but may not necessarily coinciding with the newest batch of refreshes off the line.

The VIN assignment doesn't necessarily correspond to date. I have a 139xxx VIN that isn't produced yet, ordered morning of refresh 4/12

The VIN assignment doesn't necessarily correspond to date. I have a 139xxx VIN that isn't produced yet, ordered morning of refresh 4/12

I'm surprised to a certain extent. Mine has the same VIN prefix, and I would think they'd be putting it through production about the same time since they roll through them based on order date, although I admit they probably also look at similar packaging and delivery locations.

Now, I think you regularly check in with your DS - are you getting any automated emails about progress? Mine supposedly is built, but waiting for shipping - I gather. I've never received any email updates, but mytesla is saying a target delivery date of June 1st - June 15th and my DS indicated June 2nd for delivery but it may be sooner depending upon shipping. My understanding is some vehicles are being shipped across country via trucking as opposed to rail.

I've sent an Email to my DS asking that as they prep my car for delivery their tech looks to see if the wiring matches the updated wiring diagrams we have seen (showing a triple camera). Hope she doesn't give me the runaround and they actually are willing to take a look.