Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP just sent me under a truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely try sending that to Tesla and possibly elon twitter. This look like a very close call. Thank god you were 100 % Paying attention and took over.

Tesla Auto pilot system is good. However we all know it is NOT perfect. But again at times we all might not be paying 100 % attention and it can get really scary and ugly really quick with moments like this.

Now question is did you get a Audible alert or anything ?

Clarification:

2:49:00
Kaparthy (2nd lecture) said "We have a very sophisticated trigger infrastructure. If you have intervened, it's potentially likely that we received that clip and that we can actually analyze it and see what happened..."

2:59:50
Stewart (3rd lecture) said "I watch every single accident".

They do receive the data every time you take over from AP as long as you agreed to that when you first started the car. The Tesla team will not be able to watch every single video as it arrives. What happens is that they can filter through the large amounts of data and ask for certain situations, for example: give me all AP take overs at dusk, on bridges and with a truck beside the car, or all videos between 70 km/h and 120 km/h in tunnels or at on-ramps. I am sure that when they get the resulting data, they will sift through the entire set and likely will feed all these to the neural net

I think we’re all speculating.

We don’t know if 10 or 100 people are reviewing disengagement’s.

The only things we know for sure are:

FSD will becomes a reality as a matter of when not if.

People would be foolish to entrust their lives FULLY to software.

If you depended on software to the point where you had no chance to take control before death, you have violated all sensibilities and space cushions that a human would have.

Good catch.

Yeah every once in a while you can get specialized “wide loads”. Like when they were installing windmills nearby the blades were 90 feet long and it was just a cab in the front and wheels on the back of the blade. And solid white. Don’t recall the height.

Not sure how the cameras can ever see above the car. Merging is the worst because it has no history either.

I stopped using NoA. It can’t merge correctly even with same height vehicles let alone this case. I use AP only. Much more relaxing.

Before you disagree (which I could give zero bothers over - I like being alive for my kids) - watch the fracking video first. Several times and consider if the merging behavior was anything a human would ever attempt.

Is it me or did @superbaka willfully threw himself into a dangerous situation with AP?

You get in front of a semi like that when merging or you drop in behind it.

That was a physics game where two vehicles tried to share the same space at the same time.

The semi was already there and had the right of way.

Baka means ‘stupid’ in Japanese. Not sure why you want to make orphans out of your kids or leave behind family running eap in a merge situation like that.

It’s ap/eap/fancy cruise control NOT Level 5 FSD.

There was no AP issue because it was used out of parameter. Wheel should have been taken over moment Tesla got into exit given traffic density.

Title should be “I tried to play chicken with a semi and had to full stop to let him by me”.

My kids ever go “hey dad, AP did this” I would slap the *sugar* out of them.

Last edited:
Before you disagree (which I could give zero bothers over - I like being alive for my kids) - watch the fracking video first. Several times and consider if the merging behavior was anything a human would ever attempt.

Is it me or did @superbaka willfully threw himself into a dangerous situation with AP?

That was a physics game where two vehicles tried to share the same space at the same time.

I've seen & likely have engaged in this type of maneuver: where you see a semi & don't want to be behind a bigger vehicle & so willfully try to beat it on to the thruway.

ALREADY dangerous in control - can't imagine NoA AP has this in its DNA.

How big is this team? Come on, just logically this isn't happening.
U got pwned
Clarification:

2:49:00
Kaparthy (2nd lecture) said "We have a very sophisticated trigger infrastructure. If you have intervened, it's potentially likely that we received that clip and that we can actually analyze it and see what happened..."

2:59:50
Stewart (3rd lecture) said "I watch every single accident".

Baka means ‘stupid’ in Japanese. Not sure why you want to make orphans out of your kids or leave behind family running eap in a merge situation like that.

There was no AP issue because it was used out of parameter. Wheel should have been taken over moment Tesla got into exit given traffic density.

Title should be “I tried to play chicken with a semi and had to full stop to let him by me”.

What? Of course OP didn’t try that merge, it was the AP. That’s the whole point.

“it did not negotiate a place in front or behind the truck ”

Reactions: statisticsmike

Yep. When I use NoA, I keep my hands on the wheel with continuous torque/resistance. Especially when the car is lane changing or taking a sharp turn, I’m actively resisting it, limiting how much I’ll allow the steering wheel will turn. Much of the time it does fine but sometimes this will result in an autosteer abort. I think of my hands as training wheels on a kid bike. NoA has the freedom to “do its thing” and it’s fun to watch the improvements over time, but my hands on the steering wheel prevent the steering wheel from turning too far and executing an unsafe lane change. I think this is a better approach than just resting the hands on the steering wheel and only applying torque when it nags, or only applying torque occasionally and randomly.

I agree that it looks like autopilot was making an error and that you corrected it. However, this is not true:

I took over as the side mirror was passing under the chassis.

Looking at that video, the side mirror was not passing under the chassis. I know it's scary being next to a big truck, but you weren't actually getting underneath it. It certainly looks like autopilot was prepared to put you under there, however, so it's a good thing that you took control.

Thanks for sharing. I have now added this to my list of situations to monitor closely. I use navigate on autopilot a lot, and most of the time it's open road and I can largely trust the system.

There are situations that I can see way in advance where I know the system needs to be monitored, and I make sure to pay complete attention as I get to them. All merges are already on that list, but now I know to pay extra care when merging alongside a high carriage truck.

I was watching and there was no sign of recognizing it at all. The first sign something was wrong was that it did not negotiate a place in front or behind the truck as usual during merging.

I took over as the side mirror was passing under the chassis.
Based on the video it does not appear that your side mirror went “under” the trailer chassis. But I’m amazed you let your car get as close as that video shows. That looks quite dangerous.

I have been impressed with how well my EAP does lately in merging and accommodating merging traffic but I never assume it will be perfect. When I’m driving, at the “first sign” of a problem merging I take over to avoid dangerous situations instead of deliberately testing the limits of the system — as you did — and potentially put others at risk.

You should consider that approach towards safety on the road.

And by the way, how did you access that camera view?

What? Of course OP didn’t try that merge, it was the AP. That’s the whole point.

“it did not negotiate a place in front or behind the truck ”

What was AP supposed to do? All it knows is to maintain its lane.

Problem is when you run out of lane on a merge which is unsanctioned use of AP.

NoA turns off when leaving a highway.

Should NoA or AP be on when doing something inherently much more dangerous?

OP is liable for that merge because he let that situation happen.

When a negligent parent leaves a gun out and a brother shoots his sister, it’s not the son getting prosecuted...

Reactions: HankLloydRight
A bit scary but this will all be sorted out soon. FSD will be feature complete this year.
I have no qualms riding in that back seat of someone's autonomous robotaxi and merging into traffic.

How well is your car company of choice doing in the field of autonomous vehicles?

I dislike Lebron James but I know better to criticize his skills while sitting on my couch and drinking a beer.

Those who do the least, bitch the most.