Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Nags... does this happen to anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This behavior is something I wanted to see if anyone else experiences. A few times a week, my AP will break its normal behavior and nag incessantly for several minutes. In this video, you will see 5 nags in 1 minutes and 20 seconds (the first one is at the very beginning). There are never any unusual environmental issues... same commute I travel every day. Well lit, straight, excellent lines. The behavior will typically go away after maybe ten to fifteen minutes of this. I'll travel the same route in the same lane at the same time tomorrow and it will likely not do this.

To be clear, this is NOT a new behavior of 8.0. It occurred with 7.1 as well. It is, to say the least, super annoying. Does anyone else experience this?

(sorry for the small video size, I made a mistake during editing)

For further clarity, I am putting no pressure on the wheel with my hand. Simply light resting a hand on the wheel. If I pull continuously with a pound or two of torque, the nags will of course not appear.

Show your vid to the service center (or mail to them if possible). Picture worth 1000 phone calls as they say. I would say that something (sensor) may be sending a false positive to trigger the nag. But why it happens some days vs not others is really odd. Maybe temp/moisture related. Far stretch I know...o_O

I have the same issue, it's annoying actually, but I feel like I have to fight with the wheel to keep AP happy. I've started just using active cruise control without steering to make my drive more enjoyable. I do exactly what you do (hand on wheel ready to take over (because I don't trust it), but very light pressure (I don't want to fight with the wheel, as I don't fight with it while not on AP). If I do use AP, I find that I jerk the steering wheel slightly every few minutes in hopes of keeping it happy.

Strange - I have not seen that myself and would not have believed you if it were not for the video. Very strange.
Wow. I agree. That video speaks a thousand words!

I've never been nagged that much. It looks like it's nagging you when you pass cars to the right of you. Maybe ask the SC to check the sensors?

Send this video to your SC. I've been sending them sound clips and videos to show them issues that I'm having and they seem much more receptive.

Prior to 8.0, I could go as long as 15 minutes without being nagged some times.

Hopefully 8.0 will learn our habits and routes and will stop nagging as much.

On 7 I could usually tell in advance when it was going to nag - based on a turn or my surroundings.

I still don't have my MX back, so I can't comment on 8.0