Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP: Sideswiped trash bin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I am a newish owner of a M3 (2020 FSD)
Yesterday while traveling at 25 mph under autopilot my car sideswiped a trash bin and wiped out the passenger side view mirror (I have the recorded camera details saved to disk) . Trying to report this to Tesla without luck (phone tree never gets to a live person).
Any advise would be appreciated.

What type of advice are you looking for, exactly.... beside contact your insurance agency and begin the process of getting your car repaired under your own insurance?

Your not thinking that somehow tesla is going to cover this for you or something, right?

Reactions: MasterC17
I'm a little confused about how you let this happen. Too bad the car doesn't record the interior camera along with the external cameras.

25mph is pretty slow, and trash cans don't typically just poof into existence.

I'm also surprised that the car hit it when it seems to detect trash bins just fine.

Reactions: holmgang
I'm a little confused about how you let this happen. Too bad the car doesn't record the interior camera along with the external cameras.

I'm also surprised that the car hit it when it seems to detect trash bins just fine.

Thats one reason why I am asking " advice for what, exactly"? At 25 MPH someone could easily take control and steer away from such an obstacle... if they were paying attention... and had their hands on the wheel and were ready to take over.

I am wondering what this OP wants "advice" on, other than "take it to your insurance company and file a collision claim, with you hitting a trash can". There isnt anything else here, so not sure what OP is after.

Agree, I would like to report this to Tesla as a bug (Have all camera footage), but cannot figure out how this is accomplished.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
How do you go about reporting this bug?

You dont, basically. You can do a bug report but that stays in the car. Tesla will automagically get the data from your incident, along with all other cars that permit data uploads, when it sends the data back to tesla for the machine learning they are doing.

So, you dont need to do anything for them to get data on this, if thats the goal. They will get the data automatically. They wont be assisting you with it, however, or helping in any way with your specific situation.

Thats one reason why I am asking " advice for what, exactly"? At 25 MPH someone could easily take control and steer away from such an obstacle... if they were paying attention... and had their hands on the wheel and were ready to take over.

I am wondering what this OP wants "advice" on, other than "take it to your insurance company and file a collision claim, with you hitting a trash can". There isnt anything else here, so not sure what OP is after.

I put too much faith in the Tesla team obviously. This software is not anywhere near ready for prime time..

I put too much faith in the Tesla team obviously. This software is not anywhere near ready for prime time..

This is CLASSIC "blame shifting". Like "I wasnt paying attention, so I couldnt take over in time, and its Tesla's fault". There is NO WAY you could have an accident, at 25 MPH, sideswiping a garbage can hard enough to "wipe out" your mirror, if you were doing what the big warning says when you activate the feature and PAYING ATTENTION".

Thats not a "faith in tesla" thing, because THEY tell you to PAY ATTENTION.

So, just like I suspected when I read your original post, you likely are not "looking to notify" tesla. You are looking to tell tesla they wrecked your car, and they should pay for fixing your mirror".

I make that "leap" by your last statement, because its obvious that for some reason, you are blaming tesla instead of who you should be blaming, which is the person who wasnt paying attention while using the feature on a side street with garbage cans on it (whoever that was).

Tesla is not going to help you with it, they will not be taking responsibility for it, and it ISNT their responsibility, its yours, so just take it and go get it fixed.

His car drove into something on Autopilot… What exactly does this have to do with the situation? Yes he should have prevented it, but the car shouldn’t have hit the can, either.

The OP can address his actions, but Tesla can address the programming of Autopilot. Why shouldn’t they be aware that this is happening?

His car drove into something on Autopilot… What exactly does this have to do with the situation? Yes he should have prevented it, but the car shouldn’t have hit the can, either.

The OP can address his actions, but Tesla can address the programming of Autopilot. Why shouldn’t they be aware that this is happening?

They will be aware of it when the car uploads its data, and the car is not designed at this point for anyone to operate it without paying attention. THATS what the interior camera would have to do with this (although I wouldnt let mine record either, for other reasons). Tesla will automatically get the data along with every other car that is uploading.

There is nothing for this OP to notify them of that is relevant.

They will be aware of it when the car uploads its data, and the car is not designed at this point for anyone to operate it without paying attention. THATS what the interior camera would have to do with this (although I wouldnt let mine record either, for other reasons). Tesla will automatically get the data along with every other car that is uploading.

There is nothing for this OP to notify them of that is relevant.

But would the car even know it hit something?

• Funny
Immediately after hitting it. Hold down right steering wheel button, say,” bug report, hit trash can on AP”

I guess you can do that now and give the time it happened

You can, but it won't do anything useful.

Neither would doing it immediately after it happened.

As already explained those reports don't GO anywhere they sit local on the car, and a service center tech can read them if you open a service ticket to fix a problem, but that's it.

You can, but it won't do anything useful.

Neither would doing it immediately after it happened.

As already explained those reports don't GO anywhere they sit local on the car, and a service center tech can read them if you open a service ticket to fix a problem, but that's it.

I wish more people realized this. The only time the bug report feature is useful is when you’re trying to take a snapshot of behavior for the service center to diagnose later.

As for the OP: uhhh it will run into all kinds of stuff in urban driving (which the manual warns about) and must be closely supervised (which the manual warns about). Autopilot is currently a Level 2 system that requires constant driver supervision.