Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Speed Limit Issues coming out of Alma & Hartsel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving from Breckenridge to Colorado Springs, I have this issue every time. When I leave Alma and then again leaving Hartsel, the speed limit goes up to 65, but my MS does not recognize this and thinks the speed limit is 45. This of course makes it so that I cannot use autosteer until it finally sees a speed limit sign miles and miles down the road.

Anyone else have this issue? Is something wrong with my car, or just buggy software?

Driving from Breckenridge to Colorado Springs, I have this issue every time. When I leave Alma and then again leaving Hartsel, the speed limit goes up to 65, but my MS does not recognize this and thinks the speed limit is 45. This of course makes it so that I cannot use autosteer until it finally sees a speed limit sign miles and miles down the road.

Anyone else have this issue? Is something wrong with my car, or just buggy software?
There are similar speed limit bugs all over the country and yeah, it's very annoying! 45mph seems to be the default speed limit on roads where the Nav doesn't seem to know the actual speed limit. The bad news is it's been like this for quite some time. The good news is these errors can theoretically be corrected through software updates.

How long have you noticed this behavior and prior to that did it work fine? You may not have data from far enough back to answer that.

I've noticed a couple of places around the Fort Collins and Loveland area where it used to work just fine and as of roughly a year or a little more ago it now takes a while to recognize a speed limit change. Granted it's not miles but we're talking lower speeds so maybe it's closer and relative terms. All of my experiences with AP1 cars and the behavior at these few locations is mirrored identically across all of them.

Buggy map information, not the software itself. If the maps the car uses for AP don't have a speed limit attached or have the wrong speed limit attached, this is the result.
This makes sense and my experience supports this as it began at a few specific known locations shortly after a map update I had received. Whatever data the previous map info had was accurate in these locations but was changed for the negative. To be fair, I also noticed a couple other specific locations that began behaving properly around the same time. It was a net wash seemingly but we also tend to notice the negative pain points more as is human nature generally. My guess is that overall most map updates are going to be a net positive and will try to apply that logic whenever I experience these minor annoyances that are speed limit related.

How long have you noticed this behavior and prior to that did it work fine? You may not have data from far enough back to answer that.
I've only had the car a few months, so it has never worked for me at these locations.

Buggy map information, not the software itself. If the maps the car uses for AP don't have a speed limit attached or have the wrong speed limit attached, this is the result.

I thought the car was supposed to recognize the speed limit signs -- so even if the map data wasn't right, the speed limit sign should override it?

I've only had the car a few months, so it has never worked for me at these locations.

I thought the car was supposed to recognize the speed limit signs -- so even if the map data wasn't right, the speed limit sign should override it?
I'll let someone else chime in with the specifics, but I've done significant miles in both an AP1 Model S and an AP2 Model S. The AP1 car tended to rely on actually reading the signs, while the AP2 car tends to rely on inputted data. In my experience.

Yes, when even I drive out of one town into another town even though the speed limit remains 55 autopilot drops it back to 45. I have no answer for, but want you to know you’re not alone.

• Informative
Reactions: COS Blue