Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP/TACC behavior...???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife noticed the other day that when she's using AP with TACC set at a X speed, when she has to disengage AP to change lanes faster than it would the car sets the TACC speed to whatever the speed of the car is at the moment of AP disengagement... When did it start doing this...???

It's quite dangerous and unexpected for the driver to have their TACC set to say 70, come up to a slow moving car going say 57 and then disengage AP to pass slow car only to have TACC immediately lock the speed at 57... TACC should never be setting the speed on it's own, that should always be up to the driver...

Am I missing something?

Jeff

My wife noticed the other day that when she's using AP with TACC set at a X speed, when she has to disengage AP to change lanes faster than it would the car sets the TACC speed to whatever the speed of the car is at the moment of AP disengagement... When did it start doing this...???

It's quite dangerous and unexpected for the driver to have their TACC set to say 70, come up to a slow moving car going say 57 and then disengage AP to pass slow car only to have TACC immediately lock the speed at 57... TACC should never be setting the speed on it's own, that should always be up to the driver...

Am I missing something?

Jeff
"Feature" of v48.1. I don't like it either, but I guess as long as you are aware it is going to do it, it can be tolerated. Just something to unlearn and relearn, but I still don't see the reasoning.

Ditto on this one. There isn't much that Tesla could do to my MX that would keep me from yelling to the rafters how awesome it is... even with it's slight issues.

This change, however, has me scratching my head in wonderment. After a week, I'm still caught off-guard, and scramble to get the car back up to speed. Maybe I'll re-learn and adapt... But... WHY?!?

Am I missing something related to 'safety'? I mean, the first 2 letters mean "Traffic Aware". So even if I"m set to 70 and end up behind someone going 50 and need to change lanes (when auto-change lanes isn't available for merging into an HOV lane, for example) - and that lane is moving at 70-ish... When I disengage auto-steer, TACC is now at 50max? Now I have someone in the HOV lane fast approaching my behind, and I have to hit the go-stick (accelerator)!

Before, as stated, the TACC stayed at it's setting of (in my example) 70. So even if the HOV lane (again, as in my example) was going 50 also... the Traffic Aware would not accelerate to 70 if there was a vehicle going slower.

So, this change makes NO sense.

I hope... Oh, how I hope... that Tesla will realize that this is an 'oopsie' and change it back in the next update.

At least if I get upset... I can make the car fart, which makes me laugh like a child :D

"Feature" of v48.1.
Undocumented one at that. I agree with other posters here that this makes no sense. TACC isn't new, it's not even under 10 years old, no other vehicle with TACC does this, so it makes no sense and is hardly an improvement. I also agree with OP that it should never change the set speed, but it arguably always has when auto-steer is enabled and has bad speed limit info a surface road. That "feature" is annoying when you're pulling onto a limited access highway and it hasn't decided to see that it is one yet and limits you to 45 in a 70. I've also noticed my X dropping the speed limit to my default speed (relative warning setting) for the given speed limit wherever it arbitrarily decides I've switched between a limited access highway and a surface highway and it has bad speed limit information, but that started several versions ago, sometime after the feature for slowing down on ramps was added.

I've also noticed an increased number of 'phantom braking' incidents. All times of the day/night, so it has nothing to do with shadows/overpasses, etc.. Seems to be in very specific areas, so I can almost count on it (which is helpful). Wide open freeway, no on/off ramps, overpasses, etc.. This has happened since update to 42.xxx.

In addition (as if I needed more issues), I find if I'm traveling in the HOV lane (far left lane), and there is an HOV off-ramp that I am bypassing, the TACC speed starts slowing down as if I'm actually exiting. Not only dangerous... but scary! This has only been since the 48.xxx update.

I have traveled many thousands of miles on AP, and hundreds of times through the aforementioned areas with no incidents. It's just been since these last 2 updates. I HOPE Tesla fixes this!

• Funny
Reactions: vescrig