Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1/MCU1 and Software V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like them to just stop trying to make things work with my MCU1 and just say we only get AP FW updates. Anything they add now is just overloading the MCU hardware, it's getting to a point where switching stations on the normal radio is having a lag because of lack of processing power.
True, especially since those with the MCU1/AP1 feature set are falling further behind in this great scheme of things!
I would prefer to have no screen artifacts over 'Fart' sounds.
I could use a stable browser over 'Romantic Mood',
I would trade the 'all', the games, to finally have the media center's sound, be speed dependant,
plus, I don't need the Mars Rover, but a lot less frozen toes in the winter, comes to mind

Yet I will say:
my AP1,, IS Getting Better!!, 185 miles with only my hand resting on the wheel - YEEEEAH
No automatic lanes changes, but what do you expect with just one forward facing camera
My auto Park and semi smart summoning still kicks butt!
-0- reliable issues
Best of all, my 100% is 265, new was 267

It looks like the main thing to look forward to with V10 for AP1 car owners is better maps. I'm looking forward to that because Tesla's mapping and navigation is clearly behind the curve, especially compared to Waze (which we still use - in fact my wife refuses to use Tesla navigation because Waze navigates around problems when Tesla doesn't. I like to run both at the same time as I like the map view in the binnacle. We use Tesla navigation in the background on long trips to target Superchargers of course so that the battery is prepared for charging prior to arrival.

This has probably been one of the biggest surprises because the whole concept of Tesla-centric car technology is autonomy. All the cars are data gatherers for the Tesla Cloud. I guess there aren't enough Teslas in the UK on the roads to provide adequate real time data yet.

The browser is disappointing. My wife's six year old laptop (same size 17 inch screen) works much better. So any improvement there would be welcome.

In Europe we already have Spotify. I do hope this has been improved rather than just widened in scope to outside of Europe as it's barebones and clunky to use - I can find and listen to tracks and podcasts on my phone that the car's Spotify app can't (logged in with a Premium account).

DAB radio - I'd like DAB textual information to be displayed. MCU2 apparently does this. That would be a nice update for MCU1.

But all this aside, you forget the limitations of MCU1 when you get behind the wheel and drive. I'm still feeling fortunate to have ended up with an AP1 car after having had an AP2 loaner for a week (far too neurotic in TACC or AP). AP1 continues to be sublimely refined.

Funny that you would say refined. I would call it numb. Had an AP1 loaner a few weeks ago and it was disconcerting how badly it did through a construction shift that AP2 handles flawlessly. AP1 wanted to continue to follow the old lanes right in to another car.

Funny that you would say refined. I would call it numb. Had an AP1 loaner a few weeks ago and it was disconcerting how badly it did through a construction shift that AP2 handles flawlessly. AP1 wanted to continue to follow the old lanes right in to another car.
I wonder if AP is different in the US. I see frequent anecdotes concerning sharp unexpected braking and scary lane changing with AP2 here in the UK and this was my experience with my AP2 loaner. European roads (and regulations) are generally quite different to those in the US, so AP might be better optimised for the US.

Last edited:
I wonder if AP is different in the US. I see frequent anecdotes concerning sharp unexpected braking and scary lane changing with AP2 here in the UK and this was my experience with my AP2 loaner. European roads (and regulations) are generally quite different to those in the US, so AP might be better optimised for the US.
I strongly suspect that the difference in roads means European AP2 is months or longer behind the US. There just isn't as much training data available as you get further from California.

True, especially since those with the MCU1/AP1 feature set are falling further behind in this great scheme of things!
I would prefer to have no screen artifacts over 'Fart' sounds.
I could use a stable browser over 'Romantic Mood',
I would trade the 'all', the games, to finally have the media center's sound, be speed dependant,
plus, I don't need the Mars Rover, but a lot less frozen toes in the winter, comes to mind

Agreed. If I could just have no screen artifacts and a few of my settings not being forgotten every few days, I would be a happy camper.

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
I strongly suspect that the difference in roads means European AP2 is months or longer behind the US. There just isn't as much training data available as you get further from California.

There is also less regulatory freedom for autonomous functionality here. But the M3s are flooding in now so at least the fleet-sourcing of data should be getting a much-needed boost! :D

I have noticed that using Slacker is a lot like using Pandora ten years ago. If you don't have deep genre musical tastes and never use thumbs up it seems to work pretty well. If you thumbs up it repeats the song like a 13 year old. And if you want it to stay in a narrow artist or sub genre you will be disappointed. For general listening I find it to be quite nice, and some of the curated stations are rather nice.

I have noticed that using Slacker is a lot like using Pandora ten years ago. If you don't have deep genre musical tastes and never use thumbs up it seems to work pretty well. If you thumbs up it repeats the song like a 13 year old. And if you want it to stay in a narrow artist or sub genre you will be disappointed. For general listening I find it to be quite nice, and some of the curated stations are rather nice.

Good point... although the Slacker default "stations" have provided a decent variety of songs for us... and I've created my own Slacker "stations" based on artists I like. Works for me but I see the attraction to Spotify, Apple Music, etc. for other people.