Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New update—why would someone not want their car to auto present door handles at home? Not really getting the benefit there other than maybe less wear and tear on the handle if you keep walking by the car with the key on you.
It's kind of annoying to have your key on you and go in/out of the garage with to get something from the beer fridge multiple times. Also it's sad hearing your car get all excited like it's going to go for a drive (door handles extending)🐶 and then sounding sad when it realizes you aren't hitting the road (door handle retracts) 😿

It's kind of annoying to have your key on you and go in/out of the garage with to get something from the beer fridge multiple times. Also it's sad hearing your car get all excited like it's going to go for a drive (door handles extending)🐶 and then sounding sad when it realizes you aren't hitting the road (door handle retracts) 😿
Crazy, but I share exactly that feeling. Wife says this car is my mistress. 😇

My car is finally out of service mode, held hostage for 5 months at the shop, waiting for a replacement air shock. I'm expecting the car (AP1 MCU1) back in a few days. I see there's an update waiting. I'm currently on 2022.8.10.1. Does the current firware break anything or should I do the update when I get the car back?

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
My car is finally out of service mode, held hostage for 5 months at the shop, waiting for a replacement air shock. I'm expecting the car (AP1 MCU1) back in a few days. I see there's an update waiting. I'm currently on 2022.8.10.1. Does the current firware break anything or should I do the update when I get the car back?
5 months for an air strut? Geez.
I would be surprised if the service didn't update it for you, I think they are required to do that. But I haven't had any ill effects with the 2 updates beyond your firmware: 2022.8.10.5 and then 2022.8.10.8

Finally got my Model S back after being held hostage for 6 months by the (backordered) parts department (air strut replacement).

Anyway, they updated the software and I notice that there is no longer a + and - "button" to change map scale. I can do it with the finger pinch, but then I lose the North-up-car-in-the-center setting. If I press the North up button, then it increases magnification back to where it was - too zoomed in for my taste when on the interstate. Am I missing something? I there a way to achieve the functionality of the now defunct +/- buttons?

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Anyone on the holiday update 2022.44.25.3 notice that the follow distance has gotten annoyingly more conservative? I usually drive on 1 or 2 follow distance and now my follow distance even on 1 seems like I'm constantly on 3.
It's funny you should say that. I did notice it, but it didn't really click until I read your message. Yes, 1 seems further away now. Strange.

New update—why would someone not want their car to auto present door handles at home? Not really getting the benefit there other than maybe less wear and tear on the handle if you keep walking by the car with the key on you.
I wish they would have an option to totally disable presenting of handles, even on lock/unlock. I want an option for drivers-only, or only when pressed. It's dumb to present all four handles multiple times per day when in reality, the three non-driver handles would probably only need to present a couple times per week in my use.

This is coming from someone who has had multiple handles replaced due to wear and tear.

Control\Auto-Present Handles (enable/disable) won't do?
For my car, that only determines whether they "auto present", meaning whether they present when I walk near the car. But when I unlock the car, whether from the key or by touching a handle, all four present. Even though 95%+ of the time, I'm driving by myself and don't need the other three to present. If they didn't wear out I wouldn't care, but unfortunately that's not the case.

It's only annoying to me since the handles have the hardware to be perfect- they know when they're being touched. My dream setting would be "present individually only when touched". Or maybe "present driver door only on unlock"- I don't care if the driver door always presents, it's just the other three that probably present about 1,000 times more per year than they need to.

Last edited:
I have the exact same year and model car as you.
Driver only works on mine.

From the owner's manual:

Driver Door Unlock Mode​

You can choose to unlock only the driver's door when you approach your vehicle carrying your key fob. To do so, touch Controls > Vehicle > Driver Door Unlock Mode. To unlock the remaining doors, use the touchscreen or press the key fob a second time.

Reactions: riles246
I have a different problem than the doors. I've had the car approaching 7 years now and I haven't had a door handle fail (knock on wood), though they used to all present at the same time, they now present scattershot over a couple of seconds.

Last Friday the latch on the hatch gave out. It's been making a different noise for about 6 weeks whenever I close the hatch. It's always made a certain whirring pattern when the hatch was closed, but the sound changed to a shorter sound. It quit opening Friday (at the store with a bunch of groceries, but I put them in the back seat.

It makes an error sound and won't open. The car thinks the hatch is open, complains when I drive, and won't lock. Sometimes when I try to open I hear the latch try to disengage and once it did pop, but I had to manually lift the tailgate. It wouldn't engage the lift motor.

I made a service appointment, but they don't have an option for ranger service, so I had to make it with the Portland SC. The Vancouver SC is about to open, but isn't yet. They finally got back to me a few minutes ago (while I was reading this thread) and they approved a ranger appointment, so I don't have to risk driving the car on the freeway with a tailgate hatch they may not be fully engaged. I don't want the hatch to pop open on the freeway.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I've had that happen twice on my car. Good thing those times were under warranty. The last tech who came out said it's a design flaw, and it will happen again eventually. What I can share is that when I'm waiting for them to fix it, there is a driveway entrance near work that has a pretty big dip, and if I accelerate out of it, the back end will drop just hard enough for the latch to engage, and the warnings will cease. You might be able to do the same with a speed bump. I've never had the hatch pop open during the time it's "partially" engaged.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I've had that happen twice on my car. Good thing those times were under warranty. The last tech who came out said it's a design flaw, and it will happen again eventually. What I can share is that when I'm waiting for them to fix it, there is a driveway entrance near work that has a pretty big dip, and if I accelerate out of it, the back end will drop just hard enough for the latch to engage, and the warnings will cease. You might be able to do the same with a speed bump. I've never had the hatch pop open during the time it's "partially" engaged.

So it's like the door handles? I think about the mirror motors wearing out whenever the car unfolds the mirrors in the garage and I have to fold them again to pull out. They unfold a few hours after parking the car in the garage. I gave up tying to get Tesla to do anything about it.

We have some speed bumps around here, I might try it, but I'm just trying not to drive the car. I have a mobile appointment for the 9th. I had to get something out of the car today and when I closed the driver's door I heard a pop by the hatch. I went back there and it opened for me. I left the hatch open a crack so the tech can get into it next week. I also need to do some tidying back there, it's got reusable grocery bags strewn around.

So it's like the door handles? I think about the mirror motors wearing out whenever the car unfolds the mirrors in the garage and I have to fold them again to pull out. They unfold a few hours after parking the car in the garage. I gave up tying to get Tesla to do anything about it.

We have some speed bumps around here, I might try it, but I'm just trying not to drive the car. I have a mobile appointment for the 9th. I had to get something out of the car today and when I closed the driver's door I heard a pop by the hatch. I went back there and it opened for me. I left the hatch open a crack so the tech can get into it next week. I also need to do some tidying back there, it's got reusable grocery bags strewn around.
Yeah I'm not sure what to do for the long haul. Instead of putting my gym bag in the trunk I'm putting it in the back seat so I'm not opening and closing the trunk. But I'm still opening the rear driver side door.