Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my Model S back after being held hostage for 6 months by the (backordered) parts department (air strut replacement).

Anyway, they updated the software and I notice that there is no longer a + and - "button" to change map scale. I can do it with the finger pinch, but then I lose the North-up-car-in-the-center setting. If I press the North up button, then it increases magnification back to where it was - too zoomed in for my taste when on the interstate. Am I missing something? I there a way to achieve the functionality of the now defunct +/- buttons?
If you pinch without shifting the centering then it will give you the North up functionality (although the icon stays grayed out).
For big zooms do it in several smaller steps. Otherwise you may inadvertently shift the center. In which case it will go back to the default zoom in a few seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and Barry
I have the exact same year and model car as you.
Driver only works on mine.

From the owner's manual:

Driver Door Unlock Mode​

You can choose to unlock only the driver's door when you approach your vehicle carrying your key fob. To do so, touch Controls > Vehicle > Driver Door Unlock Mode. To unlock the remaining doors, use the touchscreen or press the key fob a second time.
Wow that's great. My mental disconnect is that I was conflating presenting with unlocking. When I saw "driver door unlock" it didn't process in my mind that this would prevent the other three from presenting.

I presume this means the other three doors will be locked most of the time. What happens if the key is inside the car and you want to get in one of the three locked doors? I leave my car unlocked most of the time with the key in it since I park in my garage. You don't have to answer- I'll know in about 8 hours :)

As the owner"s manual says:
"To unlock the remaining doors, use the touchscreen or press the key fob a second time."
Thanks. Tried it and didn't like it as I don't like having to go into the car to get the key to unlock doors while the car is in the garage and I need to get something.

I'll just keep buying new door handles when they wear out and hoping one day they offer a "present when touched" option :)

Thanks. Tried it and didn't like it as I don't like having to go into the car to get the key to unlock doors while the car is in the garage and I need to get something.

I'll just keep buying new door handles when they wear out and hoping one day they offer a "present when touched" option :)

I guess I've been lucky, the tech who was here to fix the truck yesterday said that the door handles last about 5 years on average. Mine are all OK at 7. He said they don't make the door handles for the older cars anymore and they need to be retrofit to the new handles. He says it's a pain and one of his least favorite things. Just below reprogramming a Model X key fob.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Is my MCU2 failing? I am getting MCU1 failure vibes from my car. The audio will freeze for a second every few minutes. The speedometer is delayed and slow sometimes (goes from 50 to 60MPH displayed). There’s a 1-3 second delay to display and sound that autopilot has started. I’ve tried rebooting. Has anyone else experienced this? 2015 85

Is my MCU2 failing? I am getting MCU1 failure vibes from my car. The audio will freeze for a second every few minutes. The speedometer is delayed and slow sometimes (goes from 50 to 60MPH displayed). There’s a 1-3 second delay to display and sound that autopilot has started. I’ve tried rebooting. Has anyone else experienced this? 2015 85

Certainly possible but more than likely something else is going on.

Do you have a USB thumb drive installed with a large number of audio files? This can cause sluggish behavior with the MCU. Are you using TeslaWaze in the browser? This will also cause the MCU to sputter and run terribly.

What version of software are you running?

You know what's funny... I noticed my audio freezing every few minutes when using the "Streaming" option as well recently. I haven't seen the speedometer issue but I think the autopilot sound did delay 1 time but I didn't think much of it. I am MCU2 MS90D with firmware 2023.3.12. Not sure excatly when it started, if it is was one the 2023.x.x branch or just more recently when I went from 2023.3.10 -->2023.3.11 -->2023.3.12 but it was in the last few weeks or month.

I guess I've been lucky, the tech who was here to fix the truck yesterday said that the door handles last about 5 years on average. Mine are all OK at 7. He said they don't make the door handles for the older cars anymore and they need to be retrofit to the new handles. He says it's a pain and one of his least favorite things. Just below reprogramming a Model X key fob.
Interesting, I wonder if the tech meant a door handle with the cool magnet sensors as shown in the video below, or just a new revision with micro switches:

Reactions: dark cloud

Curious why would MCU2 be failing/slow if upgraded from MCU1? Doesn't the upgrade do the chip too? This X I got used from TSLA 2017 Tesla MX 75D in Rockville MD US listed at Sold has AP2.5+MCU2

You know what's funny... I noticed my audio freezing every few minutes when using the "Streaming" option as well recently. I haven't seen the speedometer issue but I think the autopilot sound did delay 1 time but I didn't think much of it. I am MCU2 MS90D with firmware 2023.3.12. Not sure excatly when it started, if it is was one the 2023.x.x branch or just more recently when I went from 2023.3.10 -->2023.3.11 -->2023.3.12 but it was in the last few weeks or month.

The radio on my upgraded to MCU2 car has a lot of digital artifacts and I have been getting blank outs on USB audio. I had it into the service center and after being there a couple of days they told me the problem was a firmware bug. They said it had gone all the way up to Elon Musk's attention so there was pressure on the infotainment team, but with Elon distracted with Twitter the pressure probably isn't as high as it would have been in the past.

• Helpful
now that you mention this I believe it did start after 2023.2.12

• Informative
Certainly possible but more than likely something else is going on.

Do you have a USB thumb drive installed with a large number of audio files? This can cause sluggish behavior with the MCU. Are you using TeslaWaze in the browser? This will also cause the MCU to sputter and run terribly.

What version of software are you running?
I don’t have anything plugged in to the USB ports. No Waze running. I noticed that my trip A was at 25k miles so I reset that but no immediate effect was noted. 2023.2.12

by "streaming audio freezing" every few minutes, do you mean the sound randomly cuts out for a fraction of a second - almost as if someone just momentarily disconnected then reconnects the speaker? If so, I've been having that problem the past couple months or so, I'm assuming its some media player bug introduced recently in one of the latest updates.

Now that I think of it, the problem started just after Tesla added Apple Music support and I signed up for an Apple Music free trial to test it out. I first noticed the audio gaps during Apple Music playback. However I've since confirmed the problem also occurs with Spotify, Slacker and USB audio - never had this audio issue with those latter 3 sources before.

My MCU2 upgrade is working fine otherwise. Currently on 2023.6.1 The audio cutting out momentarily is mentioned in a bunch of other threads elsewhere, I think some reports from newer cars not just old MS with MCU2 upgrade.

by "streaming audio freezing" every few minutes, do you mean the sound randomly cuts out for a fraction of a second - almost as if someone just momentarily disconnected then reconnects the speaker? If so, I've been having that problem the past couple months or so, I'm assuming its some media player bug introduced recently in one of the latest updates.

Now that I think of it, the problem started just after Tesla added Apple Music support and I signed up for an Apple Music free trial to test it out. I first noticed the audio gaps during Apple Music playback. However I've since confirmed the problem also occurs with Spotify, Slacker and USB audio - never had this audio issue with those latter 3 sources before.

My MCU2 upgrade is working fine otherwise. Currently on 2023.6.1 The audio cutting out momentarily is mentioned in a bunch of other threads elsewhere, I think some reports from newer cars not just old MS with MCU2 upgrade.

Service center confirmed to me that it's a bug.

I'll add my hat to the mix. I'll add it's all audio that freezes (delayed), including warning chimes and blinker noises. Worst is FM radio for sure, it's almost too bad to listed to.

I believe it's software related. It's like an old computer being overworked. I'm on MCU2.

I'll add my hat to the mix. I'll add it's all audio that freezes (delayed), including warning chimes and blinker noises. Worst is FM radio for sure, it's almost too bad to listed to.

I believe it's software related. It's like an old computer being overworked. I'm on MCU2.
MCU2 is an old computer today, since Tesla has moved onto MCU3 or even MCU4 (depends on how you count).

when did Tesla move onto MCU3? How can you tell for a used car?
Landscape orientation screen for S/X. Not sure for 3/Y since they were always landscape. At some point there was a switch from Intel to AMD CPU too Sorry, I've stopped tracking all the Tesla hardware changes as I stopped buying Teslas after the yoke was introduced (stalkless yoke was not the only reason, but it sure made me buying a 5th Model S a non-starter). Still have one (had 2 until today), so still participating in Tesla forums as it's the only way to get any information, Tesla not having any official communication channels to customers.