Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use to be a cutting edge, latest and greatest software person but since learnt from many a phone update.
I've unfortunately been pushed into updating the car, (as previously I was more than happy with the cars faultless software [stopped updating just prior to the release of the autopilot nag] and performance). After numerous emails from Tesla staying I'd be left out in the cold if I didn't update the vehicle soon. I reneged.

I cannot believe the woeful, useless abomination that I'm now left to deal with.....

I currently own a P90D, MCU 1, AP1 vehicle and I'm under the impression that this software suite was never meant for the earlier vehicles.
The voice recognition is now useless, completely unusable. 85% of the time it doesn't even register a voice and when it does, it's got the accuracy of software out of the 80s. 5% of the time its states that the 'The microphone is unavailable" and the remaining % is just a complete mystery of whats happened.The lag input on the touch screen is now also diabolical, you're not sure what it's doing or where it's up to. Constant screen freezing/stuck menus.
I'm also now gifted with a graphics glitch, so whenever you've touched the screen, a digital mess lags on it for a few seconds (this photo after touching BlueTooth icon)
View attachment 531894

Fan running despite the car being parked and AC 'apparently' off. (and not the battery cooling system)
When charging, % on main screen completely different to the % on driver screen. Also the rate of charge is massively tapered off to prior to software.
Phone refuses to connect with BlueTooth and the charging from the centre console is also unusable.
Tried a software, reset but it's just a rinse and repeat scenario.
Had all intent of upgrading the car later this year however since the current sh!t-show we're all enduring and the loss of my employment, I could be well stuck with a polar opposite of what I just had an update ago.
I'm not sure why people are seeing these problems. I hadn't noticed them. Just to check, I tested:
- voice recognition... works fine
- screen never shows any glitches/freezes/stuck menus
- AC/heat works just fine
- fob summon... perfect
- on-line manual.. pops up in 3 seconds... all menu choices are instantaneous
- browser.. 4 seconds to load Tesla Waze
- phone always connects reliably

S85D (Feb 2015) Original 3G, AP1, MCU1
Version 10.2 (2020.8.1.1) I think this came about a month ago
86,000 miles
Never have performed a hard reset and never cleaned out any memory. Don't remember when I last did a soft reset (in the early days, I had to do this regularly so much improved there)
BTW, my 90% is 235 miles so only about 3% range loss from new.

I am still on V8.1, and the browser stopped working some time last year.
So its probably not the firmware version itself that is the problem.

Appreciate your post.
So many other posts about “the good old days”...
My recollection was that things worked differently and not really better. Eg very, very... extremely slow to load most of the web sites. And most of the sites failing: html5 support was way lower “back then”. Tesla Waze was maybe working longer before failing but gps refresh we’re limited to every few minutes or so, not to every 2 seconds, which meant late warnings and “jumps” when the map would eventually redraw to your position.

Some people in this thread have mentioned disabling updates. I recall seeing that somewhere in the menus some time back, but I can't find it now. The car want's to upgrade to 2020.12.5, but I want to skip updates until there is confirmation the USB music issue has been fixed. I changed the schedule to 23 hours from now to buy time, but I can't find a setting to disable updates.

Some people in this thread have mentioned disabling updates. I recall seeing that somewhere in the menus some time back, but I can't find it now. The car want's to upgrade to 2020.12.5, but I want to skip updates until there is confirmation the USB music issue has been fixed. I changed the schedule to 23 hours from now to buy time, but I can't find a setting to disable updates.
I don’t think that exist.
In the mobile app settings, there is a setting to enable or disable notifications of software update, but this is only for the smartphone, not the car.

Can you not just 'forget home network' on the wifi? I assume you have wifi extending from your home into garage.
My car is in an underground car park, zero wifi coverage and it can't download the Updates via the 3G connectivity

So I'm stuck, unable to download 2020.12.5 unless I go to the Service Centre OR find a mall/shop that has wifi

Good call. I wish I had known before updating to 12.5. We haven't driven the car much lately, but went on a drive yesterday where there is a cell dead spot. No 3G or 4G. Over half an hour with no music at all.

I know @sorka has been successful "postponing" updates over time, disconnecting seat cables or something, but not sure if the same tactics work if someone is on a later update.

Good call. I wish I had known before updating to 12.5. We haven't driven the car much lately, but went on a drive yesterday where there is a cell dead spot. No 3G or 4G. Over half an hour with no music at all.

I know @sorka has been successful "postponing" updates over time, disconnecting seat cables or something, but not sure if the same tactics work if someone is on a later update.
I know of a few people on this forum that have reached out to Tesla and got them to discontinue updates to their vehicles. It does come with consequences though. You would think you could just click through the nag however there have been numerous reports of Tesla forcing the update to install even after the owner ignored the update.

Some of this happened after Tesla released additional thermal management firmware for overheating batteries. There were a number of users that were on 8.1 due to wanting to keep split screen and browser functionality and Tesla forced an update on them.

Kinda crappy but at the same time, Tesla firmware to Tesla is just as critical as the engine and transmission is to a regular ICE car.

I still think that Tesla could have handled these situations so much better than they did/are.

599 days since the last install. Not sure if Tesla just never force installed or if leaving the rear door handle fuse unplugged prevented the update.

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.39.54 AM.png

But, these forums are by nature full of ancedotal data, and yet, here I am again. Sometimes it is all we have to go on...
Just don't believe every anecdote you read here.

More anecdote:
- I forgot to add that the new feature rolled out a few months ago to display text messages and reply by voice works great and is a neat feature.

- installed 12.5 today. Everything still works great (browser, bluetooth, summon by fob, music, etc.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Just don't believe every anecdote you read here.

More anecdote:
- I forgot to add that the new feature rolled out a few months ago to display text messages and reply by voice works great and is a neat feature.

- installed 12.5 today. Everything still works great (browser, bluetooth, summon by fob, music, etc.

Are you are saying your USB with music files is working?

I have a 128 GB USB drive full of music in FLAC encoding, the drive is in Linux format and worked perf— um, worked OK until 2020.12.5, but now no longer appears as a music option.
Maybe it’s just FLAC or Linux-formatted drives that’s b0rked?
I will have to try to swap my drive with my wife’s MP3/FAT32 and see if that fixes anything.