Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You haven't seen V 11 of the software yet. So far it's a complete mess with controls you need buried levels deep in the menus and things you don't need easily available.
They made that mistake once before, then fixed it after many complaints. It involved putting some climate control settings (heated steering wheel for sure and I forget what else) a few layers deep in menus. Early V9 maybe...

I have and I’m running it. Some things can be better (more direct controls for basic stuff like seat heaters), other stuff is a welcome improvement (re-ordering of waypoints) and some bugs appear (can’t change charge limit on MCU2 upgraded cars). What I don’t get is the mass hysteria on the topic: just chill people. Things change, that’s part of owning a Tesla. Some changes will be reversed, that’s also cool. Why people are “disgusted” with software changes is beyond me, don’t they have something more important to worry about?

It does seem like different versions of hardware have different bugs. I'm missing the ability to set the charge level. The +/- control is also gone from the map. It looks like they put more emphasis on games while pushing controls you need while driving down so you have to dig for them.

The Model 3 crowd have other problems. The ability to see tire pressure is now either gone or much deeper in the menus than it used to be. Same thing with the energy usage display.

One person found a dangerous bug. If you push the stalk forward to put the headlights on automatic brights, a question pops up on the display. If you answer yes, all the exterior lights shut off and you have to dig three layers deep into the menus to turn them back on.

On the Model 3 the blind spot camera image when you turn on the blinkers apparently covers up a lot of other important stuff on the screen. I think the problem with the 3/Y is that they are now trying to cram in more stuff than one screen can handle.

I'm not as upset as the Model 3 crowd, but this is a step backwards. They rolled this out with a lot of bugs and some questionable design decisions. I much preferred V 8 of the software. We had a choice of two screens to have up at a time on the center screen and could organize what went above and below. With v 9 we were stuck with the way Tesla wanted it and I think that was a step backwards.

Somewhere around V 10 a bug developed that every time there is an upgrade my car will not go to sleep unless I unplug it and leave it unplugged in the garage overnight. Once I do that it will sleep again. If I don't the vampire drain is 5-10 miles a day.

They also never implemented the mirror folding for location correctly. They almost always unfold again on their own if the car is left unlocked (in the garage). Occasionally they will refold when I'm backing out, but usually not. I've almost taken the passenger side mirror off on the frame of the garage door when I wasn't thinking and started backing out. That started sometime in V 9 I think. I've been round and round with the service center with it. I convinced somebody that it was a bug in the software and they passed it on to engineering, but it's still not fixed beyond them refolding sometimes.

It's not "get rid of my car" awful, but IMO they did some bad design decisions and didn't properly debug V 11. This on top of some bugs that have been there a while they refuse too fix.

They made that mistake once before, then fixed it after many complaints. It involved putting some climate control settings (heated steering wheel for sure and I forget what else) a few layers deep in menus. Early V9 maybe...

I had my car then, I don't remember that, but if the update happened in the summer I wouldn't have noticed initially.

The Model 3 crowd have other problems. The ability to see tire pressure is now either gone or much deeper in the menus than it used to be. Same thing with the energy usage display.
Instead of the “card” displaying tire pressures, it is now in the Service menu. So two taps to get to it. But I find that easier than swiping the cards sideways to get between trip card and tire pressure card. Trips on 3/Y are now a menu like they always were on S/X.

I’d argue against this. While Tesla arcade might not be enough to persuade you I’m happy with the increased speed, waypoints and new interface. I really like Tesla for the fact that they do release regular updates. I’m always curious what has changed and I like how things are improving over time, even depsite the fact that it sometimes is a step back before it moves forward.
I didn’t know they added waypoints! That’s great, looking forward to it. Unfortunately they didn’t get done with my car on Saturday. Uber’ing to work (35 miles to a rural area) this morning was interesting.

I didn’t know they added waypoints! That’s great, looking forward to it. Unfortunately they didn’t get done with my car on Saturday. Uber’ing to work (35 miles to a rural area) this morning was interesting.

I've always managed to get a loaner, but I've looked at what an Uber home from the service center would cost. It was over $100.

Fortunately I work from home and we have my partner's Subaru, but when it's looked like there wasn't going to be a loaner we've planned logistics of getting me home from the service center and then back to pick up my car. It's an hour each way. It's 4 hours of my time with a loaner, but would be 8 hours for the two of us.

Getting service is decent if you live within one of the major cities Tesla has concentrated on (Seattle has three service centers and there is one between Chico and Seattle in Portland), but outside of those areas getting to and from a service center can be painful.

Reactions: aesculus
I've always managed to get a loaner, but I've looked at what an Uber home from the service center would cost. It was over $100.

Fortunately I work from home and we have my partner's Subaru, but when it's looked like there wasn't going to be a loaner we've planned logistics of getting me home from the service center and then back to pick up my car. It's an hour each way. It's 4 hours of my time with a loaner, but would be 8 hours for the two of us.

Getting service is decent if you live within one of the major cities Tesla has concentrated on (Seattle has three service centers and there is one between Chico and Seattle in Portland), but outside of those areas getting to and from a service center can be painful.
I am about 50 minutes from my closest SC. When they stopped giving loaners I would just camp out in the sales area doing work. With COVID that is now impossible. Plus you can no longer rely on them to perform simple work same day as they get behind quickly and they are so overwhelmed it's hard for them to keep up with the day to day workload.

So I too have to coordinate the two car dropoff and pickup with my spouse. Not what you expect from a high value car company. My last ICE car, an Acura, service easily managed work in half day chunks or less and would give you a loaner in a flash if it was going to be overnight. Plus again pre COVID, had a dedicated waiting area with work tables, free snacks and it was two steps from the service check-in so they constantly updated you on their progress.

Patiently hoping that no more updates come on my 85D MCU1 car, ever.
But right now you are just cancelling the popup right? Its a PITA but it's the price you pay.

Unfortunately when the day comes that my chip needs to be replaced they will force an update on me so it's probably a matter of time. Right now my only real issue is that the car just randomly reboots the large display about every 500 miles or so. NBD as the car keeps driving. The worst is when you are SCing and you have no way to make changes etc.

I was worried about this since I work in a rural area but I was about to get rides both days. When they had to keep it another day they added $100 to my Uber credit balance for a total of $400. I ended up using about $250 of it commuting and going to the SC. It worked out okay but I would certainly have preferred a loaner for the convenience. Also I paid much more in tips than home charging.

"Popup"? What is this "popup" of which you speak?

Signed, the MCU1 Model S owner who hasn't seen an update since last October (2020.48.37.8).
That's because I purposefully halted my updates at 2020.36.11. I did not like what I saw in 48 so I have refused updates since. Every time I start the car or shift directions I get a stupid popup telling me I have an update ready.