Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V838-8276.PDF
Is anyone else concerned that Tesla will mess with our cars and neuter AP1 with their new autopilot recall? I enjoy using AP1 even more than my wife’s Y on my commute because it just works. It never tries to swerve to center itself when a lane suddenly widens and it doesn’t slam on the brakes when a slow car begins its merge into your lane.
Thanks for the link, I used to be hesitant to take new updates after the supercharge nerf then just started doing them again after seeing some improvement to charge speeds but I'll prob hold off on any these future updates to see how the impacts the nag or other behavior. Only thing I wish they would enhance on old AP1 cars is a chime, warning beep or notification when the lane lines are lost due to blind cameras or something so that I know that its likely about to do something odd. Currently on 2023.44.1

• Helpful
Reactions: QUBO
I personally doubt the old AP1 cars would be affected by any ruling. I don't know for sure obviously - but it very different from what Tesla built out with AP2 and technically it isn't even Tesla tech (it Mobileye).

I imagine the extent would be a re-name to something other than "AutoPilot" if something come out of these rulings. Seems like the main issue "people" have is the name itself and not the tech.

I personally doubt the old AP1 cars would be affected by any ruling. I don't know for sure obviously - but it very different from what Tesla built out with AP2 and technically it isn't even Tesla tech (it Mobileye).

I imagine the extent would be a re-name to something other than "AutoPilot" if something come out of these rulings. Seems like the main issue "people" have is the name itself and not the tech.
The recall noticed linked above says it covers 2012-2023, so yes, AP1 is impacted as well. It's not clear to me from the notice what the "fix" is. Increased nags? Monitoring via internal camera on newer cars?

Reactions: QUBO
Thanks for the link, I used to be hesitant to take new updates after the supercharge nerf then just started doing them again after seeing some improvement to charge speeds but I'll prob hold off on any these future updates to see how the impacts the nag or other behavior. Only thing I wish they would enhance on old AP1 cars is a chime, warning beep or notification when the lane lines are lost due to blind cameras or something so that I know that its likely about to do something odd. Currently on 2023.44.1

There was a discussion about this in the thread specifically about this recall. The EULA requires you to take updates related to safety. It sounds like it's going to be forced on us. People who have been blocking updates for a while are going to be angry when they have to update.

One thing I don't understand about this is that it's supposed to cover all cars back to 2012. Cars built before late 2014 had no AP hardware and are incapable of autosteer.

Reactions: henderrj
There was a discussion about this in the thread specifically about this recall. The EULA requires you to take updates related to safety. It sounds like it's going to be forced on us. People who have been blocking updates for a while are going to be angry when they have to update.

One thing I don't understand about this is that it's supposed to cover all cars back to 2012. Cars built before late 2014 had no AP hardware and are incapable of autosteer.
Your last point makes it seem like they are including every single 2012+ vehicle to appease the regulators. Of course the update to a 2012 will do absolutely zero to further this recall. I highly doubt AP1 will be affected.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V838-8276.PDF
Is anyone else concerned that Tesla will mess with our cars and neuter AP1 with their new autopilot recall? I enjoy using AP1 even more than my wife’s Y on my commute because it just works. It never tries to swerve to center itself when a lane suddenly widens and it doesn’t slam on the brakes when a slow car begins its merge into your lane.

Yes, very concerned. Will be waiting to install and watching intently.

Reactions: 2015-85
From the notice...

"The remedy will incorporate additional controls and alerts to those already existing on affected vehicles to further encourage the driver to adhere to their continuous driving responsibility whenever Autosteer is engaged, which includes keeping their hands on the steering wheel and paying attention to the roadway. Depending on vehicle hardware, the additional controls will include, among others, increasing the prominence of visual alerts on the user interface, simplifying engagement and disengagement of Autosteer, additional checks upon engaging Autosteer and while using the feature outside controlled access highways and when approaching traffic controls, and eventual suspension from Autosteer use if the driver repeatedly fails to demonstrate continuous and sustained driving responsibility while the feature is engaged."

My biggest fear is "...additional checks upon engaging Autosteer and while using the feature outside controlled access highways...".
I hope that does not mean they will remove the ability to use Autosteer on city streets.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
If those cars were equipped with adaptive cruise control, that would explain their inclusion, as phantom braking can occur even while using adaptive cruise control.
I drove plenty of old MS loaner cars back in the day and no pre-9/2014 had anything but “dumb” cruise control. The first time I drove one it took me by surprise when it wasn’t decelerating for traffic up ahead.

Release notes and downloads happening for dreaded update:

notes:
- Added option to activate Autopilot features with a single stalk depression, instead of two, to help simplify activation and disengagement.​
- Increased the strictness of driver attentiveness requirements when using Autosteer and approaching traffic lights and stops signs off-highway.​
- Introduced a Suspension Policy that will restrict Autosteer usage for one week if improper usage is detected. Improper usage is when you, or another driver of your vehicle, receive five "Forced Autopilot Disengagements."​
You are the driver. As the driver, you must be vigilant to the road, keep your hands on the wheel, and be ready to intervene to maintain safety.​

In the Autopilot Suspension it singles out New S and New X (as well as 3 and Y). So maybe not for us? Here are those notes:

For maximum safety and accountability, use of Autopilot features will be suspended if improper usage is detected. Improper usage is when you, or another driver of your vehicle, receive five ‘Forced Autopilot Disengagements’. A disengagement is when the Autopilot system disengages for the remainder of a trip after the driver receives several audio and visual warnings for inattentiveness. Driver-initiated disengagements do not count as improper usage and are expected from the driver. Keep your hands on the wheel and remain attentive at all times. Use of any hand-held devices while using Autopilot is not allowed.​
Autopilot features can only be removed per this suspension method and they will be unavailable for approximately one week.​

Release notes and downloads happening for dreaded update:

notes:
- Added option to activate Autopilot features with a single stalk depression, instead of two, to help simplify activation and disengagement.​
- Increased the strictness of driver attentiveness requirements when using Autosteer and approaching traffic lights and stops signs off-highway.​
- Introduced a Suspension Policy that will restrict Autosteer usage for one week if improper usage is detected. Improper usage is when you, or another driver of your vehicle, receive five "Forced Autopilot Disengagements."​
You are the driver. As the driver, you must be vigilant to the road, keep your hands on the wheel, and be ready to intervene to maintain safety.​

In the Autopilot Suspension it singles out New S and New X (as well as 3 and Y). So maybe not for us? Here are those notes:

For maximum safety and accountability, use of Autopilot features will be suspended if improper usage is detected. Improper usage is when you, or another driver of your vehicle, receive five ‘Forced Autopilot Disengagements’. A disengagement is when the Autopilot system disengages for the remainder of a trip after the driver receives several audio and visual warnings for inattentiveness. Driver-initiated disengagements do not count as improper usage and are expected from the driver. Keep your hands on the wheel and remain attentive at all times. Use of any hand-held devices while using Autopilot is not allowed.​
Autopilot features can only be removed per this suspension method and they will be unavailable for approximately one week.​

Some of these issues obviously don't apply to AP1 since AP1 doesn't have the features they reference. Who knows if AP1 owners can get sent to AP jail for a week or not.