Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 vs AP 2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me AP2 especially at lower speeds or when first starting seemed to "wiggle" left and right a lot, I don't notice the same on AP1.
This was my impression as well when I drove an AP2 loaner for a few days. AP2 didn't feel like it was as confident in its decisions as my AP1 car. I'm sure that has or will improve but I was surprised as I figured the AP2 car would be much more refined in its movements compared to AP1.

My opinion, stated above, mimick exactly the one from Chillaban.

Thanks for the info on the ultrasonic sensors. I did not know the difference so it explains the better performance.
And no, I would not say that AP2 is drunk but as others are describing, just reacting much quicker but also therefore more nervous.
While on easy road, the AP1 slower movement is definitely perceived as a positive, as others have also witnessed, the AP2 can handle better the curves, especially at high speed than the AP1.

My experience come from my brand new S75D (7000km) and a loaner S90D with AP1 (2000km) with 80% highway so a lot of trial on the highway with AP.

My AP2 hasn't wiggle since I think 50.2, the biggest problem right now is that it can miss the entry to sharp turns and it can hang on the outside of the lane during turns. Also coming to a stop, it does sometimes engage something to make it super choppy.

Ap1 is better then Ap2.
Ap1 is solid
Ap2 wiggles in the lane like a drunk driver

I’m sure that will change, but the alarming fact is that 2015 technology is out doing 2018 tech. Mobileeye has to consider this a win. Even if in 2018 Tesla can finally get to parity.

Honestly, Mobileeye and Tesla would have accomplished so much, if they would have continued working together.

This could be the production Model S/X right now, if those two were still partners.

While I love my Tesla, I have no problem jumping to another brand should they offer a better product in the future. I feel like AP is an area where competitors are going to start catching up sooner rather than later. On the flip side, I feel like all or most of the competitors aren't focusing enough on charging networks. Autopilot and similar systems make traveling easier. However, if the charging infrastructure isn't in place then that's a problem. Tesla has shown they understand this with the build-out of their supercharger network.

I can say that AP1 is clearly much slower (not smother) in changing lane and accelerating/slowing down when changing speed. I find personaly the calibration of the AP1 for those manoeuvre, I must admit, more natural and close to the speed a human driver would perform those actions.
The AP2 is much more authorative and dynamic on those. I would like to see this tammed down a little bit to come more in line with the AP1.

——

When you get your ap2 car back use chill mode while in autopilot. This smooths out the quick start/stop of autopilot and uses less energy. I really believe chill mode was made primarily for autopilot for this reason.

10.4 changed a lot for AP 2.x cars. Smooth negotiation of curves, lane changes and fairly steady lane centering made big improvements with that release. Aside from reading speed limit signs, you'll be hard pressed to differentiate the two. It actually feels like they have a proper foundation now to extend beyond basic functionality.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
My AP1 Model S is decidedly steadier when cresting hills after receiving software update 2018.14.2. Where it used to wander between the lane lines when cresting even a modest hill, now it is much more stable. For me, that was the most frequent annoying behavior of AP1. It is still not perfect in other ways, but the update made a huge difference in my day-to-day enjoyment of AP.

Reactions: X Fan