Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 MCU1 w/ FSD to MCU2 upgrade available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to the OP's inquiry about MCU2, I'm surprised there has not been even light discussion or mention of Elon's twitter comments of the prior day's Electrek article: Elon Musk: Tesla MCU computer upgrade going to be $2,000, but don’t recommend it.
He'd have a good point if all you got from the upgrade was some new games and video options. The biggest problem for MCU1 owners though is what appears to be a memory leak. My charging screen needs to be opened twice to see anything, release notes take 3-4 tries or a reboot, if I go long enough without rebooting my fonts start corrupting. All of this has been going on for so long, I've given up any hope of it being fixed in the ARM version of the code. It's not a defective MCU either, because the problems existed with my prior MCU. I'd probably never use any of the entertainment, but at this point I'd pay just to have the MCU work right.

It looks like if you pay $2,500 to upgrade your MCU1 to MCU2 you can get upgraded to HW3 at the same time, starting late this month: Infotainment Upgrade

When will the Infotainment Upgrade be available for me?
Model S and Model X owners will be invited in groups based on their Autopilot Computer and feature configurations.

Configuration
Beginning Availability
Autopilot Computer 2.5 with Full Self-Driving Capability Scheduling Now
Autopilot Computer 2.0 with Full Self-Driving Capability Late March
All remaining Model S and Model X owners Early April

I wonder when you get the FSD upgrade if you decide to stay on MCU1 without the "Enhanced Driving Visualizations".

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
It looks like if you pay $2,500 to upgrade your MCU1 to MCU2 you can get upgraded to HW3 at the same time, starting late this month: Infotainment Upgrade

I wonder when you get the FSD upgrade if you decide to stay on MCU1 without the "Enhanced Driving Visualizations".

I think Tesla should just say MCU 2 upgrade requires FSD. Makes the most sense even though money doesn't grow on trees.

Do both upgrades at one time.

Looks like FSD cars w/ AP2 and 2.5 can get HW3 now as a free upgrade.

Screenshot_20200302-162447.png

No to the infotainment upgrade if it doesn't include FM/XM radio (which we listen to almost all of the time)

6 years of Tesla ownership across a Model S and Model X, over 100K miles, and I can honestly say I’ve literally never used the FM or XM radio. Between the built-in streaming services and my phone I’m set. Sign me up for the infotainment upgrade!

We could use TuneIn to replace most of our FM/XM radio listening.

But we'd lose access to the live sports broadcasts - which are available only on FM/XM or with premium apps (TuneIn Premium or XM) which aren't available on Tesla vehicles.

Reactions: brkaus