Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 vs AP2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i'm looking at a 2016 S 75 which has the AP2 and when talking to Tesla was told that AP2 will never be able to have FSD and that only AP2.5 or higher will be upgradeable. Is that true?

I ask because when i spoke to someone there on a different occasion I had to educate him about a 60D being upgradable to a 75D which he had to put me on hold and verify to be true by a colleague. So i'm thinking maybe this rep didn't know about the capabilities of different AP's.

Neither AP2.0 or AP2.5 is capable of FSD. We’ll need AP3 for that and Tesla is supposed to be able to upgrade to that. It is unclear whether only AP2.5 can be upgraded to AP3 or if AP2.0 can too. There may be additional wiring harness such as a second radar that only AP2.5 is equipped for, I don’t know.

It would be extremely disappointing and Tesla better be able to make things right if that doesn’t apple to AP2.0 as it was marketed as hardware capable of FSD. Even for those who didn’t buy FSD, they may have bought the car because of that future capability promise.

So i'm looking at a 2016 S 75 which has the AP2 and when talking to Tesla was told that AP2 will never be able to have FSD and that only AP2.5 or higher will be upgradeable. Is that true?

Another approach is to buy a Tesla for what it is today and what it can do today (which is pretty damn awesome), rather than a set of features that will hopefully come in the future.

EDIT: The reason I wrote the above is that I'm a little worried about you getting some expectations about FSD which might not be met by reality.

Bruce.

Last edited:
I think it’s safe to say that all 2.0 and 2.5 AP cars can upgrade to the same AP3 computer. We’ve heard that said multiple times. Not sure if either car will FSD. But I have faith that it will be able to have more features and do them more reliably than with the 2.x CPU. This is very good news for 2.0 folks. For used model S buyers, that’s even better news.

I haven’t heard about this “second radar” referenced above by Snowstorm. Have seen any articles on that. I was under the impression that only the CPU made it a 2.5 car. All sensors and cameras were pretty much identical. Would like to read more on this. Reference?

I think it’s safe to say that all 2.0 and 2.5 AP cars can upgrade to the same AP3 computer. We’ve heard that said multiple times. Not sure if either car will FSD. But I have faith that it will be able to have more features and do them more reliably than with the 2.x CPU. This is very good news for 2.0 folks. For used model S buyers, that’s even better news.

I haven’t heard about this “second radar” referenced above by Snowstorm. Have seen any articles on that. I was under the impression that only the CPU made it a 2.5 car. All sensors and cameras were pretty much identical. Would like to read more on this. Reference?
I recall some discussing it on a thread here a while back around October. The radar and the fact there is a redundant wiring harness or wire in one or more of the cameras or sensors. And apparently the cameras themselves are different in the capability of seeing more colors/ different shades of colors or something. @bmah may recall what I'm talking about, he may have seen it as well and remembers.

The thought of FSD scares the hell out of me. Considering summon never works for me and the only time it did the car almost veered off the drive and although TACC/Autopilot have improved at times but then degraded at others I am not sure, unless every single car was performing FSD at the same time so that everything was computer controlled then there are too many possible variants of what the car may have to do to stay safe. Would be nice to think they will get there one day but in my opinion (hopefully we’re still allowed our own opinion these days) I can’t see it being ready for many many years.

As said before, buy the cars for what they do today which is cool and don’t get me wrong, loving my S, but at times frustrating when certain changes/updates change things for the worse

can somebody please detail the hardware differences (as fitted - never mind potential upgradeability) between AP2.0 and AP2.5
I have heard of better cameras; redundant cabling; additional processor in AP ECU; and as of this thread possibly cabling for an additional radar (where would this be fitted?). Anything else?

The only performance difference I know of today is the dashcam feature only available in AP2.5

Are there any claims that the upgraded hardware of AP2.5 results in better AP behaviour in current software?

Further, we AP2.0 owners who were told at the time that purchasing FSD would enable FSD at a later date were also told that MCU2 would be retrofittable to MCU1 and that turned out to be a lie. Which means that already our 1.5 year old cars can't make use of the dashcam functionality or one of the easter eggs and who knows what else to come.

Basically, it's another class action in the making. I've asked multiple times about the MCU2 retrofit and the answer is the same each time. On the other hand, the same people didn't know that the new fobs were available for all cars prior to June 2018, so who knows for sure.

My expectation as an AP2.0 owner is that I will get an AP3 board swap sometime this year. I expect the weak link to be MCU2 and whatever other AP2.5 enhancements there were.

And I'm not happy about it.

The next shoe to drop will be that Supercharger v3 speeds will only be available to some recent subset of cars.

I'm done buying cars based upon promises that not only don't materialize for years - they don't materialize period *after being made*.

Bruce's advice above is solid - buy what you can verify today. I would add thereto to spend as little money as possible for a chariot (e.g., with AP1 for about $40K including an ESA and the bonus of RWD for the full-sized frunk) to get you through the next 3 years.

Then in 3 years after AP3 and SC v3 and some modicum of FSD functionality (e.g, reacting to a stop sign as we were told to expect in the 12/2016 video) have had some time to mature, THEN load up with a new Tesla which for all we know by then will be available on a subscription basis, and enjoy the heck out of it.

Good luck - get in now for as little coin as possible and enjoy the ride. Consider all promises made to be worthless until realized.

Further, we AP2.0 owners who were told at the time that purchasing FSD would enable FSD at a later date were also told that MCU2 would be retrofittable to MCU1 and that turned out to be a lie. Which means that already our 1.5 year old cars can't make use of the dashcam functionality

MCU2 is not needed for the dashcam. I have an AP2.5 Model X with MCU1 and the dashcam feature is enabled in my car. My understanding is that AP2.5 is what is needed for the dashcam (no idea why).

Ok. Million dollar question that has probably been answered a bunch of times.

I bought a car with Enhanced Autopilot. How do I know if it is AP2 or AP 2.5.

I am asking this because I am not sure if I can completely trust what they told me at the time of sale.

It is a 2017 S90D if that helps