Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App access before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure, if this was asked already. I couldn't find anything, so I apologize if it was.

Is it possible to login to the app after the vehicle was manufactured, but before delivery? I was just thinking it would be cool to see the current location as a kind of tracking.

I'm not sure, if this was asked already. I couldn't find anything, so I apologize if it was.

Is it possible to login to the app after the vehicle was manufactured, but before delivery? I was just thinking it would be cool to see the current location as a kind of tracking.
You can download and log into the app but it won't have any link to the new vehicle until after it has been delivered.

I wasn't able to in 9-14. I actually think it is smart because people do stupid and annoying S**t. They also normally disable remote access when the car is in the shop for that reason. Also smart.

Not so sure about the "normally" part...my service center hasn't done this yet in three visits. But I agree disabling remote access would be a smart thing to do as standard procedure.

(If the car had a "read only" mode so you could check its state but not actually cause the car to do anything, that might be the best of both worlds, but that has some pretty far-reaching implications for the software stack, and IMHO probably not worth the effort at this point.)

Bruce.

On a slightly related topic, I would have loved to have had a Model S physical key while waiting for the actual car, eg. to pull out of my pocket when people ask what I've been up to, or to hold onto for comfort while enduring the anxious wait, like worry beads :confused:

Maybe they should send out dummy or blank keys just for freaks like me :cool: I might have even added a $120 order to my initial deposit for a "spare key" to be sent immediately (though of course not an actual keyed key, before signing for ownership).

On a slightly related topic, I would have loved to have had a Model S physical key while waiting for the actual car, eg. to pull out of my pocket when people ask what I've been up to, or to hold onto for comfort while enduring the anxious wait, like worry beads :confused:

Maybe they should send out dummy or blank keys just for freaks like me :cool: I might have even added a $120 order to my initial deposit for a "spare key" to be sent immediately (though of course not an actual keyed key, before signing for ownership).
I am waiting for the 1:48 scale model just like the two Model S models that are out there.