TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

App access before delivery?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Alex D, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Alex D

Alex D Member

I'm not sure, if this was asked already. I couldn't find anything, so I apologize if it was.

Is it possible to login to the app after the vehicle was manufactured, but before delivery? I was just thinking it would be cool to see the current location as a kind of tracking.

2. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

No

• Love x 1
  3. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Supposedly it used to be possible, but too many people were flashing the lights and honking the horns while their cars were on a truck driving down the highway, so they stopped doing it.

• Like x 1
  4. Alex D

Alex D Member

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

You can download and log into the app but it won't have any link to the new vehicle until after it has been delivered.

6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

tesla usually doesn't "turn on" the ability to access your car until the delivery.

7. CJPonline

CJPonline Member

During delivery, your DS will activate remote access.

8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

They told me up to 24 hours, but some have had it activated within a few hours after delivery. I did not have a chance to check until about 14 hours later and it was active.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I wasn't able to in 9-14. I actually think it is smart because people do stupid and annoying S**t. They also normally disable remote access when the car is in the shop for that reason. Also smart.

10. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Not so sure about the "normally" part...my service center hasn't done this yet in three visits. But I agree disabling remote access would be a smart thing to do as standard procedure.

(If the car had a "read only" mode so you could check its state but not actually cause the car to do anything, that might be the best of both worlds, but that has some pretty far-reaching implications for the software stack, and IMHO probably not worth the effort at this point.)

Bruce.

11. Alex D

Alex D Member

Thank you all for the responses. It makes sense, just would have been nice to see where the car is while it's being shipped. :)

12. tanner

tanner Active Member

I was able to in June of 2013 :)

13. tezzla

tezzla Member

So it was you who honked the horn? ;)

14. tanner

tanner Active Member

No, no... Someone else ruined it for us expecting new delivers (I'm getting a new one - YIPPIE - I wanna track it too though :( )

15. Lex

Lex Member

On a slightly related topic, I would have loved to have had a Model S physical key while waiting for the actual car, eg. to pull out of my pocket when people ask what I've been up to, or to hold onto for comfort while enduring the anxious wait, like worry beads :confused:

Maybe they should send out dummy or blank keys just for freaks like me :cool: I might have even added a $120 order to my initial deposit for a "spare key" to be sent immediately (though of course not an actual keyed key, before signing for ownership).

16. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I am waiting for the 1:48 scale model just like the two Model S models that are out there.