Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App open frunk button needs confirm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay yes. I tried and and I see that it is there when I am farther away. It is strange that they are not consistent.

Thats actually by design. It used to ask all the time, no matter where you were, and people complained here about "why does it ask for a confirm when I am standing right there?"

There isnt any reason for it to confirm, if the phone sending the command is within reach of the car physically.

Part of the reason the front and back are different is that the back can close on its own but the frunk can't, at least on the newer models. You wouldn't want to accidentally pop either of them if you can't close them easily, either by being there or through the app.

In the 2+ years I've owned mine I think I've used the frunk twice, and it was just because I could. There is plenty of room in the back for everything I ever transport. I don't use the well either except to store the charging cable, and to transport propane tanks for my grill so they don't roll around. In my old minivan I used to use the seat belts and strap them in, but I don't want them to rip the seats in my Tesla.

In the 2+ years I've owned mine I think I've used the frunk twice, and it was just because I could.
I put a first aid kit, some bottles of water, and a pocket knife in ours, just in case something happens on the road. Dad had a first aid kit in our GMC Sierra and it came in handy when mom got burned so I though it would be good to have one in Casper. I was thinking about adding a flat repair kit and small folding shovel too.

Part of the reason the front and back are different is that the back can close on its own but the frunk can't, at least on the newer models. You wouldn't want to accidentally pop either of them if you can't close them easily, either by being there or through the app.

In the 2+ years I've owned mine I think I've used the frunk twice, and it was just because I could. There is plenty of room in the back for everything I ever transport. I don't use the well either except to store the charging cable, and to transport propane tanks for my grill so they don't roll around. In my old minivan I used to use the seat belts and strap them in, but I don't want them to rip the seats in my Tesla.
Also if you are backed up close to a wall or garage door, the auto-opening trunk can make contact with the wall/door. The frunk lid would not.

Thats actually by design. It used to ask all the time, no matter where you were, and people complained here about "why does it ask for a confirm when I am standing right there?"

There isnt any reason for it to confirm, if the phone sending the command is within reach of the car physically.

I actually use my frunk quite often, but mine is an older car (2018) and it has built in hooks there to hook a bag on. I mostly use it to bring food home, since the frunk does not share air space with the car cabin, so food smells dont linger in the cabin.

My wifes Model Y without the hooks, I find MUCH less convenient actually, so I almost never use the frunk on her model Y.

I partially retract what I wrote above. I walked farther from my house and tried again. I got a confirm for the trunk but not for the frunk. When I am close to the car I don't get a confirm for either. Previously (post #3) I got a confirm for the frunk when I walked father away and previously the trunk always had a confirm.

I think that when I am farther away there should be a confirm for both. I think that when I am close the confirm is not needed for either one but I understand the need would be different for someone with the auto-open.

I partially retract what I wrote above. I walked farther from my house and tried again. I got a confirm for the trunk but not for the frunk. When I am close to the car I don't get a confirm for either. Previously (post #3) I got a confirm for the frunk when I walked father away and previously the trunk always had a confirm.

I think that when I am farther away there should be a confirm for both. I think that when I am close the confirm is not needed for either one but I understand the need would be different for someone with the auto-open.

What specifically do you mean by "further away"?

For example, have you tried parking at the far end of a parking lot when you go someplace (like a grocery store) and then trying to trigger it while you are at the front of the store, across the parking lot?

What I am thinking is, your description of "further away" may not match what they have set as "out of range" to trigger this warning. I will have to try it next time I go into the office, since where I park is about a 15 minute walk to my office.

I get a confirm for the trunk but not for the frunk when I am three houses from my house. At this time my comment is that when I am out of range for one I am not out of range for the other. It appears that the confirmation for the frunk when out of range is not happening now.

Last edited: