Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apparently it's possible to lock your key in the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I locked my key in the frunk and the only way to get back into the car was using my cell phone to unlock it (which I fortunately had).

My previous car (an Acura), if you shut the trunk with your key(s) in there, would automatically pop the trunk back open again. So I was surprised this didn't happen with my Tesla. Not sure if it is working as expected or if it just couldn't detect the key?

Likewise when I approach my car from the rear I have to manually unlock it to unplug the charging cable. Or I have to walk half way down the passenger side first to get the car to unlock, and then walk around to unplug.

Does this experience match other people's or is my car not detecting the key fobs very well?

I haven't tried the key in the frunk yet but not entirely surprised. My car has the same response to approaching the vehicle, there has been a writeup on adding another antenna to the key system in the car but I've grown accustom to having to hit the unlock button on my key before attempting to unplug the car in my garage.

When returning from a business trip I tossed my laptop bag in the trunk of my Subaru with the keys still in the bag and closed the trunk. I proceeded to freak out but to my relief the trunk remained unlocked and I was able to retrieve my key. At that moment I reminded myself that had I taken the Tesla for this trip I would have had the phone app as a backup (even if I needed to find a different way to contact my wife who also has the phone app and could unlock the car for me)

Yes, it's possible to lock the key in the frunk and trunk. This has actually been used by many on purpose, if you need to leave the car somewhere for someone else. Lock the key in the trunk (or some areas of trunk) where the key won't be detected, and then when the person gets to the car they text you and you can remote unlock the car.

So I locked my key in the frunk and the only way to get back into the car was using my cell phone to unlock it (which I fortunately had).

My previous car (an Acura), if you shut the trunk with your key(s) in there, would automatically pop the trunk back open again. So I was surprised this didn't happen with my Tesla. Not sure if it is working as expected or if it just couldn't detect the key?

Likewise when I approach my car from the rear I have to manually unlock it to unplug the charging cable. Or I have to walk half way down the passenger side first to get the car to unlock, and then walk around to unplug.

Does this experience match other people's or is my car not detecting the key fobs very well?

WRT poor key fob reception -- I had a lot of issues until I read that keeping the fob in the same pocket as your cell phone could affect recognition of the key. It does seem to help to keep them separated.

I turned off the auto-locking so this kind of thing can't happen to me.

As to unlocking from the rear all I do is touch the driver side door handle to unlock the car to release the charge cord. The car most definitely doesn't detect the keyfob from the rear.