Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've returned the Carlinkit dongle and I'm going all in on Tesla Android after finally getting my hands on a Raspberry Pi!

It was ok on my long car journey but the image resolution was fuzzy and hurting my eyes, it sometimes would just be a pain and refuse to connect, I didn't like how if I minimised my browser window it would buffer all the output and play it back to me in fast forward mode whenever I pulled the browser back up.

The most annoying thing, however, was that the WiFi speed was so unbelievably slow the car would think it was offline. I ran a speedtest on the browser and on my phone itself and the difference in speed was ridiculous.

I hope Tesla Android proves to be a much better solution

Sad that it didn’t work for you too but ultimately that’s similar to my experience.

I’m not sure that Tesla Android will be any better, in the end I believe the restrictions are linked to the fact that you are just emulating through the car browser so I’m not sure that there will be a better experience as they are using the same workaround…
Let us know!

As for me, I decided to go this route : https://m.aliexpress.us/item/1005005403252459.html
Will let you know once it arrives

I really can't get my head around the idea I have to reach around the steering wheel when I need to interact with CarPlay.

I'd also argue it's probably more dangerous than using your phone on a mount or the charging mat but I'm keen to hear your thoughts to hopefully prove me wrong!

I can't help but feel like a lot of energy being expended her to try and get back something the manufacturer of the car explicitly doesn't want you to have.

If CarPlay is that important, at what point do you decide that it would be better to buy another car that supports it natively?

I really can't get my head around the idea I have to reach around the steering wheel when I need to interact with CarPlay.

I'd also argue it's probably more dangerous than using your phone on a mount or the charging mat but I'm keen to hear your thoughts to hopefully prove me wrong!
The charging mat is actually dangerous, the position is too low and you're taking your eyes off the road for too long. And if not using Waze, my phone will lock after a minute and the position of the charging mat makes it impossible for faceID to detect your face and unlock without holding the phone in your hand again.

What I also like about CarPlay is the ability to use handsfree 'hey Siri' commands. Most of the commands (reading messages & co) won't work if your phone is locked. And Hey Siri won't work if your phone stays in your pocket when not linked to CarPlay. For all these reasons I need an implementation of wireless CarPlay in the car, running all the time in the background (such as a dedicated screen) that doesn't requires me to fiddle with Wi-Fi settings of the car every other time when I get in.

I've returned the Carlinkit dongle and I'm going all in on Tesla Android after finally getting my hands on a Raspberry Pi!

It was ok on my long car journey but the image resolution was fuzzy and hurting my eyes, it sometimes would just be a pain and refuse to connect, I didn't like how if I minimised my browser window it would buffer all the output and play it back to me in fast forward mode whenever I pulled the browser back up.

The most annoying thing, however, was that the WiFi speed was so unbelievably slow the car would think it was offline. I ran a speedtest on the browser and on my phone itself and the difference in speed was ridiculous.

I hope Tesla Android proves to be a much better solution
The latest Tesla Android uses 5ghz to improve responsiveness and is pretty smooth.. It shows up in things like scrolling the map which is smooth on Tesla Android, and a horror show on TeslaAA.. not tried any of the 3rd party dongles.

I can't help but feel like a lot of energy being expended her to try and get back something the manufacturer of the car explicitly doesn't want you to have.

If CarPlay is that important, at what point do you decide that it would be better to buy another car that supports it natively?
What do you have in the same price range & mileage range, that has the same cargo space of the Y, with carplay and could have been delivered last year?

What do you have in the same price range & mileage range, that has the same cargo space of the Y, with carplay and could have been delivered last year?
Dunno, perhaps nothing judging by your question? Seems a bit strange though to go through this much hassle to restore a half-assed version of CarPlay. Maybe I'm just not getting how amazing it must be.

Dunno, perhaps nothing judging by your question? Seems a bit strange though to go through this much hassle to restore a half-assed version of CarPlay. Maybe I'm just not getting how amazing it must be.
indeed. Well, it's convenient and useful to me and I miss it. I don't think adding a 200$ screen to get it back is much of a hassle really, that's what, 1/3rd of what BMW charges for that option...isn't it?

Sad that it didn’t work for you too but ultimately that’s similar to my experience.

I’m not sure that Tesla Android will be any better, in the end I believe the restrictions are linked to the fact that you are just emulating through the car browser so I’m not sure that there will be a better experience as they are using the same workaround…
Let us know!

As for me, I decided to go this route : https://m.aliexpress.us/item/1005005403252459.html
Will let you know once it arrives
I have the Hanshow version of that and fitting the cable to the CPU is very hard for drivers on our side of the road. Good luck.