Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple iOS firmware updates cause iPhone CPU throttling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
Apple is now facing a situation that is somewhat similar to Tesla's Supercharger throttling of the 90 kWh battery packs after a certain amount of uses:

Apple Addresses Alleged Throttling of iPhones With Degraded Batteries

Around 2016, some iPhone 6s users began experiencing unexpected device shutdowns. With iOS 10.2.1, Apple claimed to have solved the problem.

What appears to have happened is that some aged iPhone batteries became unable to supply enough voltage to keep the phone operating nominally, and the phone would therefore crash. Apple's firmware update prevented shutdowns by throttling the iPhone's CPU to half or less the original clockspeed, which allowed the hardware to operate without trying to draw more power from the battery than the battery could supply.

Now, a lot of people are angry, because Apple didn't disclose that the iOS updates would slow down their iPhones very noticeably once the battery had degraded to a certain point. By iOS 10.2.1, the iPhone 6, 6s, respective Plus models, and SE could be throttled. iOS 11.2 added iPhone 7 and 7 Plus to the list.

It wasn't until some Redditors decided to run benchmarks that the extent of the CPU throttling could be quantified. Throttling could only be reversed by installing a new, fully capable battery. This created a new issue: some people who went to the Apple Store to complain about their battery were denied battery service (both warranty and out-of-warranty at $79 cost) because the Apple diagnostic tool determined that their iPhone battery was within spec, even if it wasn't performing nominally and the phone's CPU was throttling as a result.

The first lawsuits against Apple for this throttling issue are now being filed: Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models' [Updated]

I think that device makers need to be more transparent about OTA updates that alter the performance characteristics of a device for the worse. The fallout may be much worse for Apple now that they were caught sneaking around, as opposed to them disclosing the issue in an upfront manner.

I don't find this as "sneaking around". They made an honest attempt at solving the problem. You think people rather have their phone shut off than simply use a little less power?

If people were essentially asked, " would you like your phone to be slower? If yes, go ahead and update, if not, don't update". Then of course no one would want that update. But if instead they were told, "Want your phone to shut off on its own sometimes when your battery can't supply as much power as needed? If yes, don't update, if no, update". Then everyone would update. So whats really the argument? That people aren't being given the choice? Thats seems like an ignorant reason. Then is it that people want more details to what exactly is going on? They have it now, but people who don't typically care about such details get influenced by the articles that just say Apple is slowing down your phone on purpose!.

If anything, this just sounds like a maintenance issue. At worse, you need to replace the battery (which I assume you can for $79). Seems reasonable that since its a maintenance issue that it isn't covered by any warranty.

The real issue here is how does this "maintenance issue" compare to the competition.

Reactions: cartwright and jdw
I don't find this as "sneaking around". They made an honest attempt at solving the problem. You think people rather have their phone shut off than simply use a little less power?

If people were essentially asked, " would you like your phone to be slower? If yes, go ahead and update, if not, don't update". Then of course no one would want that update. But if instead they were told, "Want your phone to shut off on its own sometimes when your battery can't supply as much power as needed? If yes, don't update, if no, update". Then everyone would update. So whats really the argument? That people aren't being given the choice? Thats seems like an ignorant reason. Then is it that people want more details to what exactly is going on? They have it now, but people who don't typically care about such details get influenced by the articles that just say Apple is slowing down your phone on purpose!.

If anything, this just sounds like a maintenance issue. At worse, you need to replace the battery (which I assume you can for $79). Seems reasonable that since its a maintenance issue that it isn't covered by any warranty.

The real issue here is how does this "maintenance issue" compare to the competition.

You miss the point--Updates are not optional with iPhones, and certain iPhones were better performers before the update. Therefore the update is actually a mandatory downgrade.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Hopefully they add a switch to select this behavior. Then people can decide if they want a slower phone or pay for a new phone battery.

You don't have to do anything to have a slower phone except have a battery on the way out. Since a year ago, there is a warning in Settings->Battery that will alert you that you should have the battery serviced (80% capacity), so the choice is really yours - run at reduced performance or replace the battery.

You don't have to do anything to have a slower phone except have a battery on the way out. Since a year ago, there is a warning in Settings->Battery that will alert you that you should have the battery serviced (80% capacity), so the choice is really yours - run at reduced performance or replace the battery.

Good to know. Never had the warning, so didn't know about it. I pretty much always use the Apple Smart Battery case. My 1.5 year old phone has only fully cycled 22 times last I was in the apple store for a different problem.

Is it only cases where the warning is "active" that the phone is slowed?

Good to know. Never had the warning, so didn't know about it. I pretty much always use the Apple Smart Battery case. My 1.5 year old phone has only fully cycled 22 times last I was in the apple store for a different problem.

Is it only cases where the warning is "active" that the phone is slowed?

It probably starts a little before that, but it's not a permanent throttle; it introduces a ramp up to peak power/speed so the phone doesn't shut down if the voltage suddenly sags. Benchmarking software is the worst case scenario, as it tries to force the processor to max power, normal use is much less noticable.

I think it's not unlike a Tesla battery, where the increase in internal resistance causes capacity loss and voltage drop although hopefully none of us have a battery that has degraded to 80% ... imagine punching it and the car shuts down :)

Apple is now facing a situation that is somewhat similar to Tesla's Supercharger throttling of the 90 kWh battery packs after a certain amount of uses:

1) If you think your battery is failing, go to settings->battery and check. At 80% capacity a warning appears. Apple does tell you.

2) If you're under 1 year warranty, Apple will replace your battery at no charge.

3) If you have Applecare +, Apple will replace your battery at no charge.

4) If you're out of warranty and don't have Applecare+, Apple will replace your battery for $79.

• Informative
Reactions: Jxtheone and brkaus
thanks for that.

I do think Apple sound add a “disable performance throttling - may cause stability issues” slider to that screen.

Then individuals could choose.

Do agree benchmark software is worst. Most don’t come anywhere near using that performance.