Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Applications keep opening in panes OTHER than maps on 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if this is a setting or if everyone else has this issue.

My driving habits have always been to drive with the upper pan switching between maps/music/etc, while I keep the bottom pane as the rear view camera. I use that in place of my rear view mirror for the most part.

However, since the 8.0 release, it seems applications will never replace the maps screen if it's open. So every time I want to change applications while the map is open, it will replace the other pane. This is really frustrating as I was used to the top pane being the one that gets replaced by the new app opened.

Now, I have to keep re-opening the rear camera app every time I open an app while maps is open on the other pane. Is this what others are seeing? Or am I the only one who likes to drive with the rear camera on at all times?

Yeah, it's a new "feature", you can override it though.

1. Drag your desired app to the top pan
or
2. Hold the desired app, and then two little boxes show up, top pane and bottom pane, and you can select the top pain.

Reactions: macbeth
I'll have to check that out when I get back to my car, but from your description, it sounds like I can re-open the camera app and either drag it to the bottom pane (I want it to stay open in the bottom pane), or hold it and choose bottom pane. But in either case, it sounds like I still can't prevent new apps from replacing the camera app if maps is the other app open?

But in either case, it sounds like I still can't prevent new apps from replacing the camera app if maps is the other app open?

Just to clarify, if you want "music" in the top pane, instead of current "map" that is already in top pane, then drag the music-icon somewhere into the top pane zone and let-go, and it will open there. No need to do anything to the camera (which is already open in bottom pane)

Hopefully I've got that right ...

I'm holding off installing 8, so no practical experience to help.
But are you saying that it won't replace maps, regardless of whether maps is in either the top or bottom pane or are you saying that the open now defaults to the bottom pane?
If the latter, then you can switch your habit and have the camera be the top pane. And I'd agree that the hold/drag method should work regardless.

The new behavior is to have either maps or camera default to the upper pane. If you like to drive with maps up and the backup camera down and on all of the time, then if you select a new app (after doing the multi-tap dance to get the control bar to reappear), it overlays the bottom pane (in my case, the camera). Same with energy graph, phone, web browser. Now if I want to get back to what I had, I have to select the camera and drag it into the bottom pane. More clicks and drags, more distracted driving. And this was an improvement?

The new behavior is to have either maps or camera default to the upper pane. If you like to drive with maps up and the backup camera down and on all of the time, then if you select a new app (after doing the multi-tap dance to get the control bar to reappear), it overlays the bottom pane (in my case, the camera). Same with energy graph, phone, web browser. Now if I want to get back to what I had, I have to select the camera and drag it into the bottom pane. More clicks and drags, more distracted driving. And this was an improvement?

Right, that's exactly what I do as well. So, with the 8.0 upgrade, I'm having to do just that, swapping panes from top/bottom every time I want to open another app, just to keep that camera open in the bottom pane.

It would be nice, if they want to make these changes, to allow a 'lock' to a pane that stays put. This way, the other pane (in my case the top pane) gets overwritten with any apps you open, while the other stays locked in position until you unlock it.

• Love
Reactions: Owner
Certainly not an improvement. The new behavior is bizarre, confusing and difficult to learn.

Nav and Camera open to the top pane when clicked
Everything else opens to the bottom pane.
The behavior should be consistent. But I guess Tesla disagrees...because a confusing UI is a great help to safety.

The work around I'm forced to use is a long click and release to open apps in the top. Long click opens the small two pane selection window, releasing drops the app to the top pane.

I always eant maps in the top so works good for me.

Right, I like my maps on top too, but I also like to have my camera open at all times on bottom. Now, every app I open, replaces the camera on the bottom. So after I open say 'music' app, it replaces the camera. If you just select Camera app again, now it replaces the map at the top. So it's really annoying if you like to have both maps and camera open at the same time.

• Love
Reactions: Owner
I'll have to check that out when I get back to my car, but from your description, it sounds like I can re-open the camera app and either drag it to the bottom pane (I want it to stay open in the bottom pane), or hold it and choose bottom pane. But in either case, it sounds like I still can't prevent new apps from replacing the camera app if maps is the other app open?
You can have ANY apps open in ANY pane. You just need to go through extra legwork (tap and hold, or tap and drag) to make it happen.

That's normal behaviour of 8.0 and stated in the doc: Map has priority and remain on top of the screen when you open another one.
Don't read me wrong: I'm not saying it's better... just saying it's what I ready in the manual... Hey I'm in Europe, so while waiting, doing a lot of reading :)

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Haha, yeah, obviously I never read it. :p But that part, I think is great. I like my maps on top. What I don't like is that Camera also will show on top. I want camera to be at bottom at all times.

So a 'lock' on a pane would be nice where you can lock a pane in place and it won't be 'overwritten'. You would obviously only be able to have 1 pane locked at a time (where the other pane gets overwritten by any apps opened). That way, I could lock the camera on the bottom, and maps would be at top, but if I open any other apps, they would open over the maps vs the camera app on the bottom.

• Love
Reactions: MikeC and Owner
I'm starting to get the feeling that there's a 1:1 ratio between developers at Tesla and the apps they develop. Like there's one guy/gal who's responsible for the app location module, and this is what they felt was an "improvement" and just coded it that way --- it makes sense to them, so it must make sense to everyone else.

There's another person solely responsible for the media player who never uses a USB stick for music, and bam, we end up with a completely braindead media player, including an entirely new set of bugs.

There's yet another person responsible for the icon bar hiding feature, and what the hell, it works for them <shrug> so it's ok for everyone else.

And when it comes time to push out a new firmware release, everyone just sends up their little piece -- without any testing of any kind whatsoever -- and yet another person puts all the pieces together to push it out.

Of course you have to ask, what in the hell are all the Early Access people (beta testers) actually doing, and how does this phenomenally crappy code actually get released to production?

This is precisely why the new maps size change was a horrendous idea.

Lots of us had specific things we did automatically. There wasn't any concentration or distraction in switching from maps to some other app before, but now there is.

I'm sure the NHTSA loves people dragging an icon on a screen while they're driving 80mph down the freeway.

Other people can hate on the red hands of shame, and they can hate on nag. But, this maps change gets 90% of my hate. In fact Tesla is now borrowing hate I had reserved for exclusively for Comcast. I'm sorry Comcast, but I can only hate so much and Tesla just did a real dumb, dumb.

Last edited:
who never uses a USB stick for music, and bam, we end up with a completely braindead media player, including an entirely new set of bugs.

It doesn't even work for streaming. If you use streaming when you get into your car, and start driving it will stream for minute or two then it will glitch. After the glitch it skips to another song. It doesn't care if it was playing your favorite song of all time.

It does this almost 100% of the time when the cars been sitting for awhile.

They created this bug while somehow managing to keep all the other bugs I knew about in 7.1

They really need to have "dunk a developer" customer appreciation days at Tesla.

This is precisely why the new maps size change was a horrendous idea.

Lots of us had specific things we did automatically. There wasn't any concentration or distraction in switching from maps to some other app before, but now there is.

I'm sure the NHTSA loves people holding an dragging an icon on a screen while they're driving 80mph down the freeway.

Other people can hate on the red hands of shame, and they can hate on nag. But, this maps change gets 90% of my hate. In fact Tesla is now borrowing hate I had reserved for exclusively for Comcast. I'm sorry Comcast, but I can only hate so much and Tesla just did a real dumb, dumb.
Elon, who actually drives a Tesla, had to have signed off 8.0 too.

Elon, who actually drives a Tesla, had to have signed off 8.0 too.

Just because he is Elon doesn't mean he gets spared.

Especially since he wants to send people to mars. If we let him do whatever he wants then whoever goes might not get any Chocolate Chip cookies for the entire trip. I can't even imagine the horror of that.

We need to teach him now to listen to the customer before we're stuck on mars with no cookies.

Just because he is Elon doesn't mean he gets spared.

Especially since he wants to send people to mars. If we let him do whatever he wants then whoever goes might not get any Chocolate Chip cookies for the entire trip. I can't even imagine the horror of that.

We need to teach him now to listen to the customer before we're stuck on mars with no cookies.
Agree and that ticket to Mars could cost you a million bucks for coach.