Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aps Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, that is not what I meant. I thought about Apps you can buy from tesla to use on your car. So it does not exist yet?

it is my understanding that this is planned and in the works. They will be publishing an SDK for third party developers to create their own apps and we should be able to "publish" these to an app store in the Model S and anyone can download the apps and use them. So to answer your question, no it's not there yet, but its coming.

Anyone getting ideas for Apps, I personally would like a Time Display App like I have on my Android phone. You know, like one you can SEE, with LARGE NUMBERS. An App would at least give a place to display it, unless someone could make the Time appear floating in front of whatever you have displayed on top. And not cover the controls for the Maps or Web. Like that will happen!

I don't see any hope that Tesla will increase the size of their Time Display as that location seems to be already crowded. There is room on the Dash Display still.

In every other car I know of built recently, the Time Display is a good half inch high number. (Back in the 60s, there were cars, even Cadillacs, which did not come with a clock, even. But that was then.)

I don't know about when the SDK is coming as Tesla has not given a date, but I think Musk said something about running Android apps in 2014.

Anyone getting ideas for Apps, I personally would like a Time Display App like I have on my Android phone. You know, like one you can SEE, with LARGE NUMBERS. An App would at least give a place to display it, unless someone could make the Time appear floating in front of whatever you have displayed on top. And not cover the controls for the Maps or Web. Like that will happen!

I don't see any hope that Tesla will increase the size of their Time Display as that location seems to be already crowded. There is room on the Dash Display still.

In every other car I know of built recently, the Time Display is a good half inch high number. (Back in the 60s, there were cars, even Cadillacs, which did not come with a clock, even. But that was then.)

How about an app that when you connect to a public charger. It would use plugshare data and mark that charger as in-use and also report how much % the car is at and how much estimate is left. Also allow you to send a message to the car owner's phone without giving away their personal phone number. Also maybe calendar integration to let people put in there planned destination and it would warn people if there is a possibility of too many people using the same charger at the same time.

Of course a lot of this can probably be done now to an extent manually or other means. But this way it can be done hassle free for the owners so it would be easier to convince people who don't like to deal with hassles to get it as it would help them too with no extra effort.

I don't know about when the SDK is coming as Tesla has not given a date, but I think Musk said something about running Android apps in 2014.

How about an app that when you connect to a public charger. It would use plugshare data and mark that charger as in-use and also report how much % the car is at and how much estimate is left. Also allow you to send a message to the car owner's phone without giving away their personal phone number. Also maybe calendar integration to let people put in there planned destination and it would warn people if there is a possibility of too many people using the same charger at the same time.

Of course a lot of this can probably be done now to an extent manually or other means. But this way it can be done hassle free for the owners so it would be easier to convince people who don't like to deal with hassles to get it as it would help them too with no extra effort.

This is a GREAT GREAT GREAT idea and a possible business venture for someone. All EV cars should have this built into it.

Have you seen the "time4tesla" website? It's a nice LARGE clock that you can bring up in the Tesla browser in the car. I use it all the time.

Just save this to your Favorites in the car: http://dash.time4tesla.com

Time 4 Tesla.png

I somehow suspect that an App store is one of Tesla's lower priorities. At launch they said "at least a year", but I suspect the real answer is at least "several".

I agree that an App Store is likely low priority at Tesla, but here is another idea for when they do focus on it - a version of Kindle to provide a synthesized voice to read your kindle books. My visually-impaired patients love the Kindle's ability to read to them. If there was a true Kindle reader app that lived in the Tesla environment, it could work just like Kindle apps on any smart device. Amazon's kindle server keeps your books (and bookmarks) synched across your kindle devices - imagine reading a book that you're really into, you get into your Model S and the kindle app will keep reading aloud from where you stopped. Would be a very cool feature and something that would be great for long trips. I've really enjoyed audio books on long cross-country trips, this would be another version of the same.

here is another idea for when they do focus on it - a version of Kindle to provide a synthesized voice to read your kindle books.

A lovely idea. Alas, some publishers will not like it, as then they'll lose a potential audio book sale.

Amazon Allows Publishers To Kill Text To Speech Function On Kindle 2 – Consumerist
The 8,000 member Authors Guild—the RIAA of the publishing world—has complained about the text to speech feature on the Amazon Kindle 2, which can read aloud your ebook in a computerized voice (something text to speech programs have been doing for years). The Guild says that’s equivalent to an audio book, and that Amazon can’t just allow it without paying extra, so last Friday Amazon caved in and announced they’ll let writers and publishers disable the feature on a title by title basis moving forward.

A major advantage of the Model S design is the potential for adding new functionality to the car through the touchscreen and dashboard displays, downloaded from the Internet.

However, Tesla has been extremely slow in adding new functionality since my car was built a year ago. While there have been some improvements, the Model S functionality for the entertainment system, navigation and smartphone integration has not significantly changed and lags behind capabilities available in other cars. For example, my 6 year Lexus had better real-time traffic integration when I sold it a year ago - than my Model S has today...

Tesla could increase the staffing in their software group - and make some significant improvements.

Or, they could focus on providing the basic functionality - and allow 3rd parties to provide new features through the app store.