Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are 2023 MX Plaid's worth all their headaches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to purchase a new X now… this suv has been out for so long that I thought they ironed the problems already…

Is it still very problematic? Is it the doors?

I dont use FSD but would like to have uss or similar via cameras…

Thanks!
JC

We need the story on the 11 Teslas. Issues with past models and trade in/up? Lemon? 10 drives in the family?

X Plaid and Taycan 4S. Great combo. I have 4S Cross Turismo. X for road trips. 4S CT for canyons.

-ThinkMac-
I seriously considered the Taycan Cross Turismo 4S over the Plaid X, before ordering the latter. While I love the design of the Porsche and I'm sure it's a blast to drive, I felt the X was the better overall package with better range and tech (not to mention lower price). As someone who owns both, do you think I made the right decision?

When you purchase a Tesla you have the choice of focusing on all the goodness. They make perhaps the finest electric vehicles on the planet.
Or you could focus on all the flaws, and perceived flaws that people post on these forums. (FIA = Forum Induced Anxiety).

From my viewpoint (I have had 3 Model X), these are fine vehicles that provide a great package of performance, comfort, and capability. At current prices they provide great value as well.

Owning one can be life altering.

I wish Tesla would give people a 30 day price guarantee that if they lower the price of the car within 30 days of buying it, they will give you the new price. It makes people hesitant to buy just in the opposite way that people were rushing to buy fearing the price would go up.
I can see this. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have a price in mind and won’t buy, so they lose some of the market. That said, it almost feels like a stock now, try timing the bottom. Personally I purchased my S when it was 80 and the X was 85 (end of 2019). I think the X should live between 90-100 depending on what they include.

As for rebuying, I haven’t owned it enough to formulate an opinion on that. I will say the only issues I had on my S were covered by warranty. The h volt battery died, and the front axle issue. The latter is happening again and troubling. It really should be a recall issue not warranty. It’s widespread.

I can’t think of another car I’d buy in its place. Maybe the Escalade, but that was 25k over MSRP when we looked two weeks ago. The Wagoneer salesmen didn’t follow up with us. I sorta wanna drive by and show him the X, like Julia Robert’s in pretty woman lol.

I seriously considered the Taycan Cross Turismo 4S over the Plaid X, before ordering the latter. While I love the design of the Porsche and I'm sure it's a blast to drive, I felt the X was the better overall package with better range and tech (not to mention lower price). As someone who owns both, do you think I made the right decision?

Hard to say. If you can swing it, get both. :)
I love the X for its tech, refreshed interior way better than my old Xses. The SC network. The crazy acceleration. But overall handling seems a little too soft and floaty when I'm driving a little more aggressive. Great UI. OTA updates, etc... all Tesla strong points. one-pedal driving.

Porsche is a driving car. you need to be engaged. handling is superb. on rails. Electronics and software are VAG's achilles heel. Screens reboot on their own. Random crashes (not that Tesla has none). Latest big update on the Porsche fixed a lot of little problems. But still years behind Tesla. Free charging through EA, and EA is a gamble every time you roll up to it. 50% of the stations usually don't work. Then you have to fight the Bolts, VWs that are hogging up the 350kW stalls. Tesla owners are much more educated when it comes to using their cars (or maybe it's just Tesla made it so easy).

I really want both. Tesla for it's tech and superior EVness.
Porsche for the fun of driving, and it's also an EV. I love the Porsche regen (no one-pedal driving) when doing canyon carving. it regens when there are objects in front, but if none, it coast like normal car, so you know exactly when to let go of accelerator and when to hit again, and not immediately get regen when you let go (their engineers knows how to drive and have fun), easier to coast into a curve and immediate accelerate out, without loosing momentum, if you know the road and anticipate the curve.

Porsche InnoDrive and LCA is like 5 years behind Tesla Autopilot. would not order again.

If you don't need to take long trips and use Supercharger network (I optioned mine with 400v charging, so I can use SC network when it opens up), I think the Porsche is the better car (Sports Turismo or Cross Turismo, don't like the sedan) to get. Back seat is a little cramp. My kids are in college, so just wife and I on the weekends and it's the best car.

FYI. Wife hates the Taycan. Too low to get in/out, bucket seats to hard to get out of. Launch control makes her scream. All the things I love. lol.

-ThinkMac-

P.S. - prior to owning the Taycan, I was super happy with the handling of the all my Tesla. This is now my 3rd X, and we also have a '17 M3 RWD. Always thought the cars were great (even compared to our Range Rovers), but now that I've own the Taycan, I think it's best driving EV out there (not the fastest, but best driving). If just one EV, then the X Plaid is a great no brainer decision.

I love the X for its tech, refreshed interior way better than my old Xses. The SC network. The crazy acceleration. But overall handling seems a little too soft and floaty when I'm driving a little more aggressive. Great UI. OTA updates, etc... all Tesla strong points. one-pedal driving.

Porsche is a driving car. you need to be engaged. handling is superb. on rails. Electronics and software are VAG's achilles heel. Screens reboot on their own. Random crashes (not that Tesla has none). Latest big update on the Porsche fixed a lot of little problems. But still years behind Tesla. Free charging through EA, and EA is a gamble every time you roll up to it. 50% of the stations usually don't work. Then you have to fight the Bolts, VWs that are hogging up the 350kW stalls. Tesla owners are much more educated when it comes to using their cars (or maybe it's just Tesla made it so easy).

Porsche for the fun of driving, and it's also an EV. I love the Porsche regen (no one-pedal driving) when doing canyon carving. it regens when there are objects in front, but if none, it coast like normal car, so you know exactly when to let go of accelerator and when to hit again, and not immediately get regen when you let go (their engineers knows how to drive and have fun), easier to coast into a curve and immediate accelerate out, without loosing momentum, if you know the road and anticipate the curve.

Porsche InnoDrive and LCA is like 5 years behind Tesla Autopilot. would not order again.

If you don't need to take long trips and use Supercharger network (I optioned mine with 400v charging, so I can use SC network when it opens up), I think the Porsche is the better car (Sports Turismo or Cross Turismo, don't like the sedan) to get. Back seat is a little cramp. My kids are in college, so just wife and I on the weekends and it's the best car.

FYI. Wife hates the Taycan. Too low to get in/out, bucket seats to hard to get out of. Launch control makes her scream. All the things I love. lol.

-ThinkMac-

P.S. - prior to owning the Taycan, I was super happy with the handling of the all my Tesla. This is now my 3rd X, and we also have a '17 M3 RWD. Always thought the cars were great (even compared to our Range Rovers), but now that I've own the Taycan, I think it's best driving EV out there (not the fastest, but best driving). If just one EV, then the X Plaid is a great no brainer decision.
Really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and experience! Thank you

-ThinkMac-

Thanks for the great summary of pros & cons! It seems to reflect the different 'personality' of each vehicle. Having both does seem like the ideal solution, and I envy you. ;-) But for now, I will 'settle' for a Plaid X (that will hopefully be delivered by end of month). Maybe by the time I'm ready for the Taycan CT, Porsche will have worked out the kinks you've described, added more range, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiamondHands

-ThinkMac-

The only reason we did not purchase the Taycan…my wife also hated the low entry/exit. Only two options we are looking at are the MX(5seat) and EQS SUV 580.

The only reason we did not purchase the Taycan…my wife also hated the low entry/exit. Only two options we are looking at are the MX(5seat) and EQS SUV 580.
Was looking at the EQS as well before I bought the Plaid X. MB stealership wanted $25k - $50k markup when I was ordering in 2022, and I wanted delivery in 2022 for tax reasons, if I want delivery in '22, I have to pay the markup, otherwise I can get one in 2023 @ MSRP. So I just went online and order a Plaid X which was delivered in a month.

Tesla direct sales spoiled me.

-ThinkMac-

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Thanks for the great summary of pros & cons! It seems to reflect the different 'personality' of each vehicle. Having both does seem like the ideal solution, and I envy you. ;-) But for now, I will 'settle' for a Plaid X (that will hopefully be delivered by end of month). Maybe by the time I'm ready for the Taycan CT, Porsche will have worked out the kinks you've described, added more range, etc.
One thing about the Porsche range guesstimator. It's way better than Tesla's. I always get the mileage or more on indicated range/capacity. I never get close to indicated range on any of my Teslas. If it says 230 miles on the Porsche, you get 230 miles.

X Plaid indicates 311 at full, I drive 180 miles to Harris Ranch. remaining miles were around 50. Granted, I drive fast.

Porsche, same fast driving. full capacity indicates 230 miles. Drive to Harris, shows 50 remaining.

The Porsche is totally do-able as road tripping car even with what seems like lower range. It's those damn EA charging stations that gives me anxiety. NorCal to SoCal is fine, there's plenty and some rest stops on I-5 also have free charging. Seems you'll need more planning if not doing the north/south corridors or any big highways in the coastal states.

Remembered reading that Porsche thinks the 93kWH battery is the sweet spot, weight and range for the car, and said they'll stick to this battery size, I'm sure it'll change when newer tech comes out. I thought it would be an issue, but turns out they were right, wasn't an issue with range. Just an issue with charging network.

Lucid has the bladder busting range, but Elon is also correct, after about 3 hours, you definitely want a break from driving. No point of having bigger battery if you're charging after 3 hours anyway. Maybe for the faster curve during charge, then back on the road. The 800V system on the Porsches definitely helps. I always plan stops with the 350kW stalls. which seems to be always occupied by an i3, a Bolt EV, Mustang machE, pretty much anything that won't take advantage of the 350kW. trying to explain leads to more confusion. argh.

-ThinkMac-

Was looking at the EQS as well before I bought the Plaid X. MB stealership wanted $25k - $50k markup when I was ordering in 2022, and I wanted delivery in 2022 for tax reasons, if I want delivery in '22, I have to pay the markup, otherwise I can get one in 2023 @ MSRP. So I just went online and order a Plaid X which was delivered in a month.

Tesla direct sales spoiled me.

-ThinkMac-
I will never pay above MSRP, so that would eliminate the EQS if that remains true. The interior is stunning but the exterior looks like a Buick and the more i consider spending $140k, i can think of a lot of sweeter options in the ICE world. It seems like the MX is really the only realistic EV option when you look at infrastructure.