Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are 32lb aftermarket wheels too much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OEM 19" Sport wheels 19x8.5 weighs 25.0LB. At 32LB, you're adding 7LB per corner or 28LB of unsprung weight to your vehicle. Each pound of unsprung weight is equivalent to FOUR pound of static weight or 112LB (28LB x 4). That's equivalent of hauling an extra smaller passenger.

Have you ever had a car with run-flat tires and swapped them out to non-Run flat tires? You can feel the improved acceleration, handling, and braking by just removing 4-5LB of unsprung weight.

OEM 19" Sport wheels 19x8.5 weighs 25.0LB. At 32LB, you're adding 7LB per corner or 28LB of unsprung weight to your vehicle. Each pound of unsprung weight is equivalent to FOUR pound of static weight or 112LB (28LB x 4). That's equivalent of hauling an extra smaller passenger.

Have you ever had a car with run-flat tires and swapped them out to non-Run flat tires? You can feel the improved acceleration, handling, and braking by just removing 4-5LB of unsprung weight.

Thank you for this.

Do you guys have anything similar design wise, that weighs closer to stock?

I came across these wheels and really like the style for my Model 3. They make them in the correct bolt pattern/offset, but it appears they weigh in at 32lbs per wheel... i believe this is about 10lbs more per wheel than factory.

What size are you looking at that is 32 pounds? That's pretty crazy heavy. You really don't need forged unless you're doing tons of track sessions and have the money to spend, i'd suggest flow formed as a middle ground between cast and forged.

Not while they have a special going. PM them for pricing.

There are a few brands out there that have lighter options than the Niche ones. Enkeis are one, VMR are another. These are typically cast wheels, or "rotary" forged.
I might send them an email, but I'm not certain if I should even be considering new wheel I'm not a fan of my stock aero wheel look, but I do like the range I get from the light wheels and Low Rolling Resistance Tires. Would it be stupid to get such nice wheels then put All Season tires on them? Also I don't have track mode, and I'm not sure if it will ever actually come out. I want better looking wheels but without being a total poser :)

I might send them an email, but I'm not certain if I should even be considering new wheel I'm not a fan of my stock aero wheel look, but I do like the range I get from the light wheels and Low Rolling Resistance Tires. Would it be stupid to get such nice wheels then put All Season tires on them? Also I don't have track mode, and I'm not sure if it will ever actually come out. I want better looking wheels but without being a total poser :)

Not stupid at all, wheels are a big part of how the car looks! I would just say that you might not want to spend the extra money on forged as the slight weight savings (in my opinion) isn't worth the money spent on them. I think flow formed gives the best bang for your buck as you can get something like the VMR V710FF for $365/wheel with a 1800lb load rating and they weigh 22.6lb for a 19x8.5" wheel (23.2 for 19x9.5")

y4Oq1p0g7XzT1uNiiR9C2wKJOJ1Pqqd_x_qxiMvvgDISa46g1W21Q4TeNb0DI49eFyFRTJEU0F8mkcHeQdhOPeXVs40pWemEBJhkX--IHnTturFHGDV9gNqWo25ZPynAek63B5MwtmkrYboqNGVFrNm-w24SCzJuXF-gPf9oKS2IlcWSB1rGzF-H_HXTIP41eiNn-WcqjODMdT-LlvlLWfZQLRSn0agl9FCpzHB0mU7dyHBIGyBorEnybNbOV21VqkLfFRUEKKmtK9oeBtMwIzU63jxbczvEcf8PHVd_cwnW3ASe6H9n5v21ivXvRc0CwNz9tkQbhK8pwaFRmhnH94X3chxYOEFfbtx3zNgM3pikAW34czncHrfvJsVVVM-pyZ7d434LgtN64dziNc292MpKmwifY-io_h75Ekq7KJZbCmrf4838hh1eaK-yxwOyDyR384p9Bt5VJsofhugUQVm7zOXa5MJVvK1W5frfilTRNHu9_C7Q7y2MdwQYtw8TOW4cjBSTLPJsWySCxjX1Y1-ApHlI81TcwPwU-FTgSCV6M-B3ZpD196XqiCdTCvoWL_pgsPl-yzSrmikXP8fue8dd1uGxo7Fx4HbUtC3aDfSGqbf0z7toNpAZ_ATXhgtNcWU_eMAAEC7bj4JQ7g3axttpF5TGVKA=w1411-h1058-no

Last edited:
Reactions: SD_Engnr