Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Ludicrous and Insane Mode gone with the newer models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2015 70D and haven't paid all that much attention to the newer model changes. Back when I ordered, the 85D was quicker and the P85D was even quicker but you had to hit the Insane Mode button on the center screen to enable the quick launch.

I see the 90D and 100D have a listed 4.2 sec 0-60 time. The P100D looks great but don't really want to spend that kind of money. I assume these speeds are available all the time, but is there an Insane or Ludicrous Mode that enables something quicker than the 4.2 sec 0-60 time?

My car is now 16 months away from getting off lease so I'm thinking ahead since I would like a bit more power. Thanks!

More details :

When the P85D came out, it had 2 modes, Sport and Insane. Then came the Ludicrous upgrade (new pyro fuse). It was offered as a retrofit to P85D. When the P90D came out, it also had Sport and Insane. You could also pay extra for the Ludicrous. In both cases, the Ludicrous replaced the Insane Option so you get Sport or Ludicrous.

Then the P100D came out and it comes with ludicrous - no insane mode. When it came out, the Ludicrous option was removed from the P90D.

If shopping now, the only way to get Insane is to buy the P90D and the only way to get Ludicrous is to get the P100D.

In all cases, ludicrous cars can be identified by the underline under the badge.

P90D = Insane
P90D = Ludicrous

The P90D was discontinued in/near Dec last year. There are a few remaining in inventory and of course many CPOs being sold. The only Performance models available built-to-order right now, are the 100s, whether X or S, and they both have Luda as part of the performance package i.e. X P100DL and S P100DL. Tesla launched a non performance version of the 100 in January. i.e. X100D and S100D

So if the OP seeks a new-build performance model, its a 2017 P100DL, or alternatively monitor inventory for a 2016 P90D series or CPO for other earlier models.

but you had to hit the Insane Mode button on the center screen to enable the quick launch.
Point of clarification:
Your phrasing makes it sound like something that has to be toggled often. For my P85D, I set it to Insane mode at delivery and never changed it; when it upgraded to Ludicrous it remained on that setting. My P100D has and will remain on Ludicrous since launch. It's not a setting I 'toggle' regularly unlike disabling of AEB (for track usage) which is "per driving session".

More details :

If shopping now, the only way to get Insane is to buy the P90D and the only way to get Ludicrous is to get the P100D.

This statement is mostly, but not completely accurate. If you are custom ordering a new car, the above statement is true. All custom ordered P100D have Ludicrous included. However, if you opt to purchase an inventory P100D, you have the choice of adding or subtracting the Ludicrous mode (it is a $10k deduction on a car that has Ludicrous). Some of the inventory P100D cars have Ludicrous, and some do not. If you ask for Ludicrous deduction, the car then comes with "insane" mode. (On the user interface, your choice is "Sport" or "Insane", instead of "Sport" or "Ludicrous". I purchased an inventory P100D without Ludicrous.

Wow I didn't realize this would get so muddled. I drove a P85D that a Tesla rep had at one of the Chicago supercharger locations while we were charging and I remembered her switching it over to Insane Mode. I guess it was just for show.