Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are new 2023 RWD (or AWD) Model 3 coming with yellow rear indicators and revised brake lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I follow. If the housing is a drop-in replacement and the wiring harness is the same, why would any of that be necessary?

...not saying that it is, that's just me hoping.
same connectors but our US M3 has brake + turn signal combined in one wire.
there is 1 dedicated brake wire which is not used by M3
so if we drop MY tail lights on M3, we will get same brake light like MY, but amber turn signal will light up on turning signal & braking as well
that is why we need a special adapters to eliminate brake signal from turn signal.

Interesting. Lots of US people have been swapping lights for Euro versions to avoid amber for a long time. A little surprised to see someone want amber. What do you like about it? Do you prefer the amber ascetically or is the safety you are after?
Little bit of both actually. There have been studies that indicate (pun) amber turns are more obvious to other drivers and I kinda like it.

same connectors but our US M3 has brake + turn signal combined in one wire.
there is 1 dedicated brake wire which is not used by M3
so if we drop MY tail lights on M3, we will get same brake light like MY, but amber turn signal will light up on turning signal & braking as well
that is why we need a special adapters to eliminate brake signal from turn signal.
Yes, if it's the same as the Y assembly I know it won't work without mods.

Interesting. Lots of US people have been swapping lights for Euro versions to avoid amber for a long time. A little surprised to see someone want amber. What do you like about it? Do you prefer the amber ascetically or is the safety you are after?
A NHTSA study found that amber rear turn signals slightly (5.3%) reduced the risk of getting rear-ended in turning, merging, or lane-changing situations, when comparing various models of cars that changed between red and amber rear turn signals on the same body style.

Yes, if it's the same as the Y assembly I know it won't work without mods.
There’s a long thread on this already. They are the same tail lamp unit as Model Y with amber signals. Physically they fit and plug in, but there is a difference in software configuration.

Red turn signal cars are programmed to combine the turn signal and brake light into one wire. 4th wire still exists and is for brake signal, but is not connected to anything inside the lamp housing.

Amber turn signal cars utilize all 4 wires and the turn signal wire is programmed purely as turn signal only instead of doing double duty as also brake.

Net effect is if you plug an amber signal housing into a car programmed for red signal, the amber turn signal will light up every time you brake. Unfortunately no way to change software configuration even if you ask Tesla service, so people have been making adapters.