Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Teslas Cultish?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Tesla M3 early adopter tell me he was wary of the cult aspect of Tesla ownership - he did not like that aspect, he said "it's just a car" and in the end it is that. He also told me it's not that unusual for other cars to speed up behind him and tailgate, presumably opponents of Tesla or EVs. Fans and opponents are a little more polarized than most other non niche makes of cars. The iPhone-Apple Walled Garden is another cultish group. Prius owners were once a cultish group, but it's a much smaller group now. As much as I like Teslas, I do try to avoid proselytizing about them, it's going to take a little while longer for the mainstream to understand EVs in general - especially older generations.

* I am not using cultish as some sinister term, just noting the phenomena

Reactions: MARKM3
Back on this forum a few years ago, 2018 to be exact, I posted my terrible experience with my Model 3 and the build quality of that car. I detested Tesla service and how awful their techs were at fixing my issues and addressing good customer service. The response rate of about 90% of the forum was "FUD" and I ended up getting banned for what the moderators thought was spam and being a fudster.

This forum pretty much laughed me off saying how crazy I was to bash Tesla's build quality and brand. Those same deniers I don't see at all anymore. Quite hilariously, most people up here now agree with me and say FSD is vaporware, the cars do have build quality issues, service can be a nightmare, and the delivery experience is lackluster.

I have one friend in particular who won't touch another Tesla for those very same issues. And those on this forum, generally speaking, can now see why. The cultish reputation Tesla garnered in the early growth day's was downright scary and people's blindness to the issue at hand was surprising to say the least.

My critique of the brand was in hopes Tesla would change their ways, instead I became the enemy. Glad those days seem to be behind us, and we can all agree to disagree instead of claiming FUD and banning users.

I had a Tesla M3 early adopter tell me he was wary of the cult aspect of Tesla ownership - he did not like that aspect, he said "it's just a car" and in the end it is that. He also told me it's not that unusual for other cars to speed up behind him and tailgate, presumably opponents of Tesla or EVs. Fans and opponents are a little more polarized than most other non niche makes of cars. The iPhone-Apple Walled Garden is another cultish group. Prius owners were once a cultish group, but it's a much smaller group now. As much as I like Teslas, I do try to avoid proselytizing about them, it's going to take a little while longer for the mainstream to understand EVs in general - especially older generations.

* I am not using cultish as some sinister term, just noting the phenomena

Cults try to stop members from leaving. Tesla is definitely not a cult.

Cults try to stop members from leaving. Tesla is definitely not a cult.
Not necessarily. So what word would you use to describe the sometimes misplaced or excessive admiration for Teslas?
cult

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object:
  • a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister
  • a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing
  • a person or thing that is popular or fashionable, especially among a particular section of society

Some time ago, Tesla owners were rare, and very few of them were on the road. Indeed they were something special and pointed the way to an electric future.

Many saw them as strange, did not understand electric cars and perhaps saw them as threatening to the status quo.

Currently, seeing a Tesla on the road is an everyday occurance. These cars are now quickly becoming mainstream, and joined by increasing numbers of EVs from many other manufacturers.

Forget Elon. Teslas are unique, great cars. And I have yet to take anyone for a ride who wasn't impressed. My car is about 3 years old and I haven't had to take it in for service except for a dislodged fog light which was my fault. Ride quality is as good as day 1. Yes, some owners (especially early adopters) have had issues and there are teething problems that have shown up with newer year models and features, but overall, they are reliable from what I've seen.

The whole 'cult' following occurred because there wasn't any competition and Elon was seen as the brilliant 'visionary' that created these unique cars. At least that's what they thought. My admiration for him has evaporated but I really do like the brand else I would have jumped ship already.

No, they aren't. They might be enthusiastic owners which is not the same thing. A cult usually has a dear leader that they follow unquestioningly, isolates itself from criticism, is selective of who it lets in, controls people when they join, stops people for leaving, and if they do leave or disobey, they excommunicate them. One or two of those don't make a cult, and one or two dozen (or hundred or even thousand) jerks treating it like a cult out of a millions of owners does not generalize to "people who drive Teslas."

And there's usually some sexual shenanigans involved. We all know us Tesla guys aren't having icky, gross, sex, yuck, am I right, fellas? *pushes up glasses*

My personal opinion is that Tesla owners are not cultish. They're common enough now to run the gamet from all walks of life and don't fall into any set identity. Now... there definitely is an Elon Musk cult but that's another issue.
As far as road rage incidents. I have had a few happen to me when I first got my car in 2019 and I believe (but can't say for sure) that it was due to me driving a Tesla. Couple of tail gating incidents and once a semi tried to run me off the road. But recently Teslas are numerous enough that it doesn't seem to be the case any more.