Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there enough Superchargers? Montreal - Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else worried about the lack of Superchargers on this popular route? I'm one of the many waiting for the Model 3, but only see a handful of chargers in Kingston which would be the easiest place to stop. They are going to need dozens of these to keep long distance travel feasible in a normal amount of time. Even the Onroute's get congested and you could wait 5 minutes to get access to a tank. The Tesla equivalent to that could be an hour or more. Last time I drove through I stopped and it seemed that all 6 were full, but at least 1 car had left in the next 15 minutes.

There are others but they aren't exactly half way. There is Port Hope and Cornwall. And Belleville and Brockville are supposed to be built soon - they should be done before the Model 3 comes to Canada. If Kingston was full you should be able to make one of those - depending on which way you are driving. And I would hope that they upgrade Kingston to a 20 stall location which seems to be the standard build size these days.

Last edited:
I took my Model S 75D after Christmas from Toronto to Montreal. It was around -22 Celsius, and I had to stop by Port Hope, Kingston and Cornwall (Ottawa-Kingston-Port Hope on the way back). All the supercharge stations were below 50% full.

In the summer, more people will be travelling, but required charging would be significantly less too.

Model 3s are rolling out, but more superchargers are coming too, so I don't worry about it too much.

Anyone else worried about the lack of Superchargers on this popular route? I'm one of the many waiting for the Model 3, but only see a handful of chargers in Kingston which would be the easiest place to stop. They are going to need dozens of these to keep long distance travel feasible in a normal amount of time. Even the Onroute's get congested and you could wait 5 minutes to get access to a tank. The Tesla equivalent to that could be an hour or more. Last time I drove through I stopped and it seemed that all 6 were full, but at least 1 car had left in the next 15 minutes.
not at all

On that route, if you're either in Toronto or Montreal, in theory you're leaving your house fully or 90% charged. Let's look at leaving Toronto as an example assuming you go from City Hall to l'Hotel de Ville:

In Scarborough, 20 kms from downtown, there will be a 20 stall supercharger in 2018
20 kms later in Pickering, there already is a 20 stall supercharger
60 kms later in Port Hope there already is an 8 stall supercharger
80 kms later in Belleville, there will be another 16-20 stall supercharger
70 kms later in Kingston, there already is a 6 stall supercharger
80 kms later in Brockville, there will be a 12-20 stall supercharger
100 km slater in Cornwall, there is already a 6 stall supercharger

If you take out the 'planned' superchargers and just go with what's open now, leaving downtown:
40 kms later in Pickering, there already is a 20 stall supercharger
40 kms later in Port Hope there already is an 8 stall supercharger
150 kms later in Kingston, there already is a 6 stall supercharger
180 kms later in Cornwall, there is already a 6 stall supercharger

I really see no need for more supercharging along this route than what is planned. Anyone nervous travelling that route today even should not be unless you have a 40, are running the heat, and have a full car load. Everyone else should be fine....and at the end of the year it will be even less of a concern.

And I am guessing that before too long the Kingston and Cornwall sites will be upgraded from 6 stalls to 20 or something close.
I know they've done this in a few places, but IMHO it makes more sense to add wholly new site rather than increase the size of existing ones. Optimal distances between SCs is highly dependent on weather factors and spacing every 100km or less would be nice. It also adds redundancy, should a site (such as Huntsville recently) go dark without warning. Expanded existing sites don't really benefit from economies of scale, except scaling the existing relationship with the property owner/landlord. I don't see many other synergies, quite the opposite: I'd rather there be more choice as to where I stop and charge. Frankly the Cornwall site location sucks compared to Kingston and Port Hope.

Reactions: hingisfan
I know they've done this in a few places, but IMHO it makes more sense to add wholly new site rather than increase the size of existing ones. Optimal distances between SCs is highly dependent on weather factors and spacing every 100km or less would be nice. It also adds redundancy, should a site (such as Huntsville recently) go dark without warning. Expanded existing sites don't really benefit from economies of scale, except scaling the existing relationship with the property owner/landlord. I don't see many other synergies, quite the opposite: I'd rather there be more choice as to where I stop and charge. Frankly the Cornwall site location sucks compared to Kingston and Port Hope.
Yes, Cornwall would be my least favorite SC visited so far, followed by Syracuse. But heyh at least we have good coverage now. Travelling is a breeze compared to 3 or 4 years ago.

Yes, Cornwall would be my least favorite SC visited so far, followed by Syracuse. But heyh at least we have good coverage now. Travelling is a breeze compared to 3 or 4 years ago.

Just curious as to what makes a SC your least favourite? For me, it usually has to do with access. For example, I haven't been to many SC's but I didn't think the location of the Buffalo SC was very good (so that woould be my least favourite).

Reactions: mrElbe
Have you been to Lawrence ;)
haha funny

although he has a point...Cornwall is slightly annoyingly off the beaten path.

I couldn't figure out why it was there...till I realised it's 400 metres from the border. It's not there to be inconvenient for us. It's to be convenient for Americans.

haha funny

although he has a point...Cornwall is slightly annoyingly off the beaten path.

I couldn't figure out why it was there...till I realised it's 400 metres from the border. It's not there to be inconvenient for us. It's to be convenient for Americans.
Not to mention that there are absolutely no amenities close to the 401. So yes, it is annoyingly far from the 401 but at least there is a St. Hubert’s Chicken near by.:) And I have stayed in the hotel as well, while travelling.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
You must be new to supercharging. With Cornwall, Kingston and the charge at Good Hope open, travelling back and forth has never been easier!

I can still remember, about six months after getting our Model S, using a Supercharger for the first time and seeing almost 600 km/hr charging rate. It was so exciting, and such a rarity. Hey Drone Flyer, you and I are like the two old guys sitting outside the bank in those TD Bank commercials, grousing about how spoiled the new generation is. :confused: