Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This weakness in the stock is really frustrating me.

It should be pleasing you, providing decent buying opportunities.

The underlying basis is that most people think any new car company will fail. Period. For many people, no car company formed during their lifetime has succeeded. Tesla needs to not only make a car people want, they need to be able to deliver it in quantity and with quality and on time. That's a big burden - look at Fisker's woes. Add in that this company is also trying to create a new market for a type of vehicle that has been poo-pooed and has failed in the past, and which big oil and growing gas companies want to kill, and you can see why so many are pessimistic. That's all the long-term pessimism.

Short term, factor in that Q4 was the last of Roadster sales, so no new car sales until July (only deposits and powertrains), which means the company will report 2 quarters of even greater losses. That could lead people to believe that the stock will tank before Model S is delivered. Factor in that many people believe there has to be at least one schedule/quality/supply hiccup and you see why there's short-term weakness as well.

Since you believe in Tesla long term, my advice is to maintain that long term outlook. It's not unlikely that the stock will go down more before it goes up. Every time there's bad news from Fisker or on the Leaf or on the Volt, Tesla stock will be pressured downwards. Note that most people do not expect 200K sales of Gen 3 from Tesla, much less a P/E ratio of 10 for any car company. If you're worried about current weakness, then maybe you don't believe your own analysis or aren't patient enough to let it play out. You need to decide on your level of confidence and amount of risk you're willing to take.

Not worrying about every close. More about the fact that Tesla isn't getting any love from rallies lately. Since the downgrade, people seem to be avoiding the stock. I really don't want to see it return to the IPO for no reason, and in theory, this shouldn't happen. There were reasons the market rallied. In theory, a stock shouldn't lose 20-30%, without something fundamental happening to the company. The movement of TSLA is baffling. I sort of understand the short position, but I strongly disagree with it. This is the Tesla forum, right? How about some of you TSLA reservation holders/position holders explain your perspectives. I have no reason to believe there won't be ample demand for the Model S. No-one has provided any good reason to doubt Tesla at this point in time. Why the lack of love? I agree with the opinion above. I hope others can share their opinions.

Would it really matter what anyone said califlower? The stock's movements are going to be whatever they are. You're hardly going to get anyone here to say "Dump it and run!", this is a Tesla forum after all and we're all pro-Tesla for the most part.

It wouldn't make much difference, but it would make me feel better :smile:

Some intelligent, well thought out opinions would help me to affirm my position, and possibly increase it :rolleyes:

I know a bunch of you are longs. What is your long thesis? Do you agree with mine?

If you are really a buy and hold type these short term fluctuations are meaningless, other than buying opportunities if you want more shares. Otherwise I suggest not looking at the stock price again until six months from now. Some of the best investments are companies that most people don't see the value in, until they do.

If you think the company has great potential, then an unjustifiably low price is your opportunity to buy and profit from others' failure to properly evaluate the stock.

If you can't stomach this, then you shouldn't play the stock market. There are too many people who buy high and sell low because they can't stomach anything else. You know, the type of investor who jumped on Nortel when it was soaring, only to be screwed by the plummet to bankrupcy.

Stocks going to drop even more, proably for 3 to 6 months at least. All the Roadsters are gone. The first year S and S Sigs are also sold out. If all the stores have Model S' on the floor like the LA showroom that now has a red Model S and the undercarriage mockup they will have a sales tool to take in the $5K deposits but with delivery at 2 years away, that may even probably slow a bit. So until they start delivering cars that get the balance of what is owed on them the company income is limited to the never reported Toyota, Fed Ex and Damiler deals. The Design Studio may even be seen as a company drain unless they announce with a few clients already booked.

Of course there is the good news too. http://www.fnno.com/story/331-tesla...tomobile-manufacturers-industry-tsla-f-gm-f-0

Yes, but it's also possibly the X may cannibalize some S sales, pushing a potential cash in on a reservation out almost 2 more years. Just giving a potential negative.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

Yes, but it's also possibly the X may cannibalize some S sales, pushing a potential cash in on a reservation out almost 2 more years. Just giving a potential negative.

Yes, but the SUV/Crossover category is the most popular vehicle type on the road in terms of annual sales. So it may also generate additional interest, particularly for folks that need to transport 7 adults.

Larry

Given that Tesla will start producing about 1500 cars a month at the end of 2012, the current list of reservations will last until spring 2013, about 15 months from now. Since the rate at which reservations are currently increasing is lower than 1500, delivery is coming closer. So as we come closer to mid-2012, I'd expect the rate of new reservations could easily increase, potentially even strongly, as the "it's for real" factor increases. Model X seems to have a wow factor of its own, and may attract a new level of attention, along with Model S test drives. Those things might compensate for the lack of a sellable product during this time.

Yes, but the SUV/Crossover category is the most popular vehicle type on the road in terms of annual sales. So it may also generate additional interest, particularly for folks that need to transport 7 adults.
Not just that - people are willing to pay more for an SUV than a car and has better margins. Infact that is where the Detroit companies make all their money (when they do !) in the US.