Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we are going to fight at about this level for the next day or two. Getting above $35 is going to be extremely hard at this point. Watching very intently to see if we break it or bounce off of it.

Next few days should be very exciting.

Yeah. I don't know much about investing stocks, but we've hit 35 three times, and each time it's gone down afterward, so people might be seeing 35 as a great time to sell (considering the history), making 35 kind of a mental barrier. I'm sure we'll be through it within the next month or two though.

$35 used to be the average of all the analyst's price targets. Since the last conference call several have raised the price targets, including some that have targets at like $30. I think the new average is probably above $35, which should help.

No doubt there is a lot of resistance at $35.

@JRodo802,
Just keep in mind that the vast majority of people that own TSLA shares are professionals. Most of them trade on technicals. For them, $35 is not a "mental barrier" it is the mathematically correct level to sell based on the charts. Or at least it was the last couple times. We'll see if the new models and price action set the bar a little higher this time.

$35 used to be the average of all the analyst's price targets. Since the last conference call several have raised the price targets, including some that have targets at like $30. I think the new average is probably above $35, which should help.

No doubt there is a lot of resistance at $35.

@JRodo802,
Just keep in mind that the vast majority of people that own TSLA shares are professionals. Most of them trade on technicals. For them, $35 is not a "mental barrier" it is the mathematically correct level to sell based on the charts. Or at least it was the last couple times. We'll see if the new models and price action set the bar a little higher this time.

I believe the $35 mark will be broken when an announcement comes from Daimler about the scope and magnitude of Tesla's deal with them. Does anyone have an opinion on when this might happen? Any "inside" news? :)

$35 is also the target price for at least one analyst, making it a natural exit point for some investors and trading programs.

In the past month many analysts had targets of $35, but after the recent Model X beta launch and financial statements half a dozen of those then revised the target upwards to around $39. JPMogan Chase are currently stating $44. There are also a couple still holding at the $30 point.

If Tesla shift 5,000+ Model S's in the next 12 months and hit their overall revenue targets of over $500m then I think the wider investment market will really start to take notice and come up with extrapolations through to 2015 which could explode the share price upwards.

It would be nice to think that in 9 months time the motoring media is awash with praise for the "stunning new Model S EV" and the masses really start taking notice, but there's bound to be some hiccups along the way.

By mid 2014, its possible that Tesla will have sold 20-30,000 Model S's or more, and 10,000-20,000+ Model Xs, and done a beta launch on the more cost effective mass market car, and Roadster #2, and done dozens of deals with other major players. I personally totally believe in what Tesla are doing, but don’t want to publicly speculate on future share price other than to say it could easily be very significantly higher than where it is today.

Wonder if all the Bricking talk is at-least partly responsible for the price being pushed down.

Probably...it's appearing everywhere right now, but should be short-lived. Any owner will tell you that you'd have to be pretty stupid or in a really exceptional circumstance for bricking to occur. Tesla is responding anyway:

Tesla Roadster EVs accused of 'bricking,' Tesla responds
While we haven't been able to confirm all the "several" supposed cases of this happening, we did hear back from Tesla issuing a statement (after the break) that more or less affirms this could happen. Tesla uses a number of so-called "countermeasures" to prevent this, up to and including calling the owner should a battery pack trail dangerously low. Worryingly, though, this situation is said to be possible in both the upcoming Model S sedan and Model X SUV. Here's to hoping for a little more clarity on this issue -- and maybe a solution -- before those two come to market.

[Tesla response]
All automobiles require some level of owner care. For example, combustion vehicles require regular oil changes or the engine will be destroyed. Electric vehicles should be plugged in and charging when not in use for maximum performance. All batteries are subject to damage if the charge is kept at zero for long periods of time. However, Tesla avoids this problem in virtually all instances with numerous counter-measures. Tesla batteries can remain unplugged for weeks (even months), without reaching zero state of charge. Owners of Roadster 2.0 and all subsequent Tesla products can request that their vehicle alert Tesla if SOC falls to a low level. All Tesla vehicles emit various visual and audible warnings if the battery pack falls below 5 percent SOC. Tesla provides extensive maintenance recommendations as part of the customer experience.

IMO it should also just completely shut down. If I understand correctly, the juice is mainly being drained by the electronics maintaining the pack? Well, if you shut those down, you stop maintaining the pack, but you also don't drain as quickly resulting in a more likely chance that the pack will get rejuiced before it's completely dead no?