Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Earnings Call

Elon Musk:

I should mention that we're planning on having a major customer event on at October 1 at our Freemont factory that will allow customers to test drive beta vehicles and also have a tour of our factory. We're sending out invitations pretty soon, but that's going to be a huge customer event and a few will have an opportunity to drive a car that is very, very close to our production lines, just 99% production design.

From The Motley Fool (UK, but copied over from the US site).

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/2011/08/04/tesla-hits-some-serious-potholes.aspx

Tesla looks confident as it stops the production of the Roadster to make way for the Model S. But will it really help?

Electric-car maker Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA.US) is finally acknowledging the realities of the marketplace. According to news reports, the Tesla Roadster, which brought Tesla to the forefront of electric automotive technology and brought it much fanfare, is being discontinued in two months in the U.S. market and being replaced by the Model S.

Tesla probably sees the Model S as a way back into the market after several quarters of dismal performances. Allegedly, it's even looking into production of cheaper electric cars.

The FUD continues in much the same vein. At least on the UK site, TMF authors are quite responsive to informed comment, so one or two well-aimed responses might have an effect.

Bank of America has published a report on Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) initiating coverage on the electric vehicle developer.

In the report, Bank of America wrote, "Tesla's stock has outperformed since the IPO though it is heavily shorted. We expect meeting milestones to drive the stock until the Model S is out in 2H12. An important catalyst could be initial reviews expected this fall that are likely to be positive, in our view."

Bank of America rated Tesla a BUY with a price target of $34.00. Tesla closed Friday at $24.24.

UPDATE: Bank of America Initiates Coverage on Tesla Motors | Benzinga.com

Looks like BofA has a buy rating on Tesla too. Makes me wonder where all these people that talk down Tesla base their opinions on. Apparently they know more than analysts who get paid to cover the auto industry.

Comparison of TSLA to APPL. Hopefully TSLA doesn't follow APPL's first ten years :wink:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/287...ck-idea-why-i-believe-tesla-is-the-next-apple

Here's a quote from that article:

That Article said:
One should be aware that an EV powered exclusively by coal-generated electricity (quite an unlikely situation) is considerably worse than a modern ICE car.

I thought that even when powered exclusively by coal-generated electricity, an EV was still much more clean than an ICE due to the efficiencies of a power plant.

Here's a quote from that article:
I find that hard to believe simply because if it were true, it should cost more all things taken into account. If Coal power isn't taking pollution into account, it's hardly the fault of the EV purchaser. They should go onto argue your fridge, dishwasher, and every other motorized item in the house shoule be gas powered too then.

...I thought that even when powered exclusively by coal-generated electricity, an EV was still much more clean than an ICE due to the efficiencies of a power plant.

I recall hearing that too.

http://www.evdl.org/docs/powerplant.pdf
...In a study conducted by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, EVs are significantly cleaner over the course of 100,000 miles than ICE cars. The electricity generation process produces less then 100 pounds of pollutants for EVs compared to 3000 pounds for ICE vehicles...
...Many EV critics remain skeptical of such findings because California’s mix of power plants is relatively clean compared to that in the rest of the country. However, in Arizona where 67 percent of power plants are coal-fired, a study concluded that EVs would reduce greenhouse gases such as CO2 by 71 percent. Similar comparisons to those in California and Arizona can be found in the Northeastern part of the country where the majority of power plants are coal-fired.
A study conducted by the Union of Concerned Scientists found that EVs in the Northeast would reduce CO emissions by 99.8 percent, volatile organic compounds (VOC) by 90 percent, NOx by 80 percent, and CO2 by as much as 60 percent...

Brakes not Breaks in that article.
Ah. OK. This article:
Potential 10x Stock Idea: Why I Believe Tesla Is the Next Apple - Seeking Alpha
...What are the main advantages and drawbacks of electric vehicles? One should be aware that in an electric vehicle (EV), price ratios are completely different from those of an internal combustion engine car (ICE). In an EV, the “gas tank” (battery) is very expensive but “fuel” (electricity) and the “engine” (motor) are comparatively dirt cheap. An EV has less than 10% moving parts compared to an ICE car and except for breaks and tires, there is basically no maintenance. Breaks will last much longer on an EV, as the motor will be used to slow down most of the time and replenish the “tank” while doing so. With so few moving parts, the chance of failures decreases drastically...
Common mistake.

The guy who wrote the article seems a little bit weird to me... he sais that he thinks there's a long term potential in the Tesla stock. Why does he use call options then? Apple ok, but I wouldn't use call options for a long term investment in Tesla because its stock is really volatile. You could get knocked out easily...