Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't care either really, but since it's the TSLA investment thread I was just musing on how it'd spin from a stock viewpoint. Seems like it'd only be us obsessive types that'd ever know. The other 99.9% of the population would only ever hear it's 5-star (overall) or perhaps something slightly word smithed like 5-star in every category!*

*for belted passengers, see NHSTA ratings for details

Which would be all that mattered. I doubt you'd care about crash safety if you weren't belted (still amazed people don't belt up).

JRodo - he quantified with "At that time". Elon has been saying this since long before those cars were certified (and there's even a thread tracking which cars beat Model S to the punch).

Yeah, I know (I linked that thread in my post). I probably should have said this more directly, but my point was that Elon had continued to say (even after November 15th 2011) that Model S will be the only car that 5 stars every category, which is of course false. I think he recently stopped saying that and has switched to saying "no safer car".

I also just thought I'd share that info in case anyone reading this thread was interested and didn't know. Not everyone reads every thread like we probably do.

Yeah, I know (I linked that thread in my post). I probably should have said this more directly, but my point was that Elon had continued to say (even after November 15th 2011) that Model S will be the only car that 5 stars every category, which is of course false. I think he recently stopped saying that and has switched to saying "no safer car".

I also just thought I'd share that info in case anyone reading this thread was interested and didn't know. Not everyone reads every thread like we probably do.

Dito,

if You USP your product by constantly promoting it to be "the safest sedan in the industry", let alone 5* in all categories, You will be grounded by the NHTSA, and this is what´s happening IMHO at the moment.
Remember the Charlie Rose/MUSK/Bob Lutz feature?
Since linking will get my posting catched in the TMC Spam folder-
go to Charlie Rose.Go to the interview, there to 5:45 and there You´ll have another proof of this unnecessary hype.

Hype deriving from a sales standpoint and a clear false statement.When it´s about peoples lives and protecting my investment (I am invested with 40k)
this is where smoke & mirrors end, sorry.

I remember him saying that only once after we heard about the first other car achieving 5 stars in all categories, and that's probably when he was informed about that. So I think when you say "he continued to say....which of course is false", then that suggests more than you really can say (and maybe more than you wanted to say).

Dito,

if You USP your product by constantly promoting it to be "the safest sedan in the industry", let alone 5* in all categories, You will be grounded by the NHTSA, and this is what´s happening IMHO at the moment.
go to Charlie Rose.Go to the interview, there to 5:45 and there You´ll have another proof of this unnecessary hype.

Hype deriving from a sales standpoint and a clear false statement.When it´s about peoples lives and protecting my investment (I am invested with 40k)

I think you are going a bit fast yourself. The Charlie Rose interview was Nov 9, 2011, and what he says is "my understanding is that there isn't a single vehicle that has achieved a 5-star rating in every category by 2012 standards, so we will be the only one". Maybe he should have said "the only one I know of", but it is reasonable clear that he meant that. Regarding the potential 4-star rating in the single "unbelted" subcategory, that is something we know from Elon, he said it in the last 2011 quarterly conference call already.

If your concern is truly safety, I think Tesla will win you back.

I remember him saying that only once after we heard about the first other car achieving 5 stars in all categories, and that's probably when he was informed about that. So I think when you say "he continued to say....which of course is false", then that suggests more than you really can say (and maybe more than you wanted to say).

Yeah, I think you're right. I didn't mean to be so harsh on Elon. I think he only said that no other cars had 5 stars in every category one or two more times after November 15th (I don't feel like doing the research to figure out exactly how many times), but it was reasonable that he wouldn't have known at the time, and has since stopped.

He's said repeatedly that their goal was for 5 star in every category and to produce the safest sedan out there. He has to qualify that of course but that's their goal. Not a guarantee. If you've invested $40,000 and you're this concerned that the stock will tank when they don't live up to the hype, might be a good time to cash out.

What is false about Elon's statement? Until the crash test results come out and they don't get a 5 star rating, then it was hype and a false statement according to you.

Last edited:
I doubt that we'll see a TSLA dividend for a long, long time. Dividends are paid by companies in the "cash cow" phase of evolution, where the business is throwing off more cash than its managers can reasonably re-invest in the business. Tesla needs tens of billions of invested dollars to reach its goals. Consider that Ford's market cap is $48.5 billion. Tesla will not be handing back cash to investors any time soon; the more likely outcome is that we see a second round of financing.

The only hype and smoke & mirrors so far seems to be coming from you. I'm not sure what your game is but you are mis-characterizing not only what was said but it's importance.
Your motives are suspect and your credibility lacking at this point so I suggest being more careful in your posts in the future.

Hmmmm....*tray loader* first 6 posts:

...this is my first posting and I hope to join quite some interesting topics in the future.

...assuming they succeed with the crash tests (which I am a little worried since las nights conference call)...

Seeing the user interface of the Model S/X I was underwhelmed by the ergonomics , it looked cheap and tecchie...

Maybe, but then the 100 billion make even more sense-Ive/Cook have to do it solo.
Ive should be capable to design a car, no?

And here we have a major problem IMHO, after hearing the conference call.
The deadly silence when those questions "hit" was revealing.
Elon was medium to non prepared, same like on the Model X presentation, an absolute no go.

Sold off my shares yestarday.Next activity not before any hard facts concerning crash tests.

Aha, sold his/her shares on the 17th...

....The "Deutsche Bank" guy seems the only one willing to get hard facts

and it slowly climaxes towards his contradictions concerning star rating (passenger seat-didn´t fully get it)
You could hear the needle drop here.

Smells BS

Relax.

I´m only protecting my investment.
A sales pitch from Elons side, no matter how often repeated, doesn´t get truer once the crash tests start.
And when You hype Your product-see here @ 5min 47 You might want to face the realities.
It´s a big differenc in "claiming 5 stars" (not WANTING) and the safest sedan out there, and "coloring" something vaguely in analyst talks with a potential of having 4 stars,
no matter how increasingly good this looks.
When human life is involved I don´t care about marketing lingo in a hyped market, sorry.

Huh? On the 18th he/she writes "I´m only protecting my investment.":confused:

Dito,

Tray loader has fired off one negative message after another and a massive contradiction....I apologise if someone innocent gets painted as a troll....but *tray loader* is not doing themselves any favors here.

These 2012 cars have 5-stars across the board (in every test):
2012 Chevy Camaro
2012 Volvo S60

Note that the Camero has had this since November 15th, 2011. See: Perfect 2012 Five Star NHTSA Safety Ratings

Model S could still be safer, but it won't be the only one with 5 stars across the board (in every test).

Nitpicker's corner:
You misspelled Camaro (fixed above) and forgot about some other 5 stars:

Now, how could the Model S be safer -- even in the NHTSA sense?

Well let's see:
  • Advanced Technology Features - Accord, Camaro, Camry, and Optima are missing Forward Collision Warning and Lane Departure Warning
  • Risk of Rollover - Accord 9.5%, Camaro 8.7%, Camry 11.1%, Optima 9.6%, S60 (both) 10%
  • Recalls - S60
  • Complaints - Camry, S60
  • Service Bulletins - Camry

There's definitely plenty of wiggle room.

2011 & Newer - Search Results | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Last edited:
Hmmmm....*tray loader* first 6 posts:

Aha, sold his/her shares on the 17th...

Huh? On the 18th he/she writes "I´m only protecting my investment.":confused:

Tray loader has fired off one negative message after another and a massive contradiction....I apologise if someone innocent gets painted as a troll....but *tray loader* is not doing themselves any favors here.

No need to get personal.

Now, how could the Model S be safer -- even in the NHTSA sense?

Well let's see:
  • Advanced Technology Features - Accord, Camaro, Camry, and Optima are missing Forward Collision Warning and Lane Departure Warning
  • Risk of Rollover - Accord 9.5%, Camaro 8.7%, Camry 11.1%, Optima 9.6%, S60 (both) 10%
  • Recalls - S60
  • Complaints - Camry, S60
  • Service Bulletins - Camry

There's definitely plenty of wiggle room.
You forgot one, no gas tank :wink: