Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you having similar buggy UI problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After service visits as well as letters to HQ, I'm getting no progress on a host of issues. My last service came back with Tesla claiming that all of the things I'm listing below are either made up by me or are not bugs, as they're within spec.

Before I escalate this with them again, I'm wondering if you're having similar issues. I can find threads here for most of these, but I thought that having them in one place might be helpful for Tesla in escalating tech priorities to extinguish things that are clearly bugs.

Doors fail to auto-present on a consistent basis. I have this problem when the key is in my pocket alone, next to my phone or next to my wallet. I have photos of the problem with the key in my hand. Often, I can prompt the doors to open by pressing the handle, but not always.

Tesla fails to recognize my keys in the car consistently. One in thirty times, with key in my pocket, dashboard says no key in car. Both problems occur with either key. Tesla insists that a. car is operating in specced range and there is no problem and b. that I’m not the only person with this problem.

TuneIn log in not recognized, ever. Confirmed my account is valid on my computer.

No longer able to use my USB SSD. It causes the touchscreen to freeze (intermittently), requiring a restart.

Navigation/traffic through New York, particularly from Westchester to Brooklyn and Long Island, is just about always wrong. Sends me down side routes that are always slower than the route shown on my iPhone by Google maps. When I follow the iPhone route, the time shown on the dashboard map inevitably goes down, new route is usually 10 to 15% faster than the outlined route.

Intermittent windshield wipers will run super-fast if there’s tree sap on the windshield, regardless of how hard it’s raining.

I understand that Tesla has lots of things on its plate, but letting these bugs fester for years (when other car companies are able to do all of these things well) doesn't feel right to me...

Thanks.

If I have my BMW key and Tesla fob in my pocket, the doors will fail to present. It could be your phone or something else. In any case I suspect that problem is a technology limitation and not something they can fix on your car.

The navigation system is very poor and gives everyone poor routing. Keep complaining, we could all use a fix!

I speculate that the sap is fooling the sensor into thinking there is water on the windshield so it tries harder and harder to remove it. Again, a technology limitation and not something specific to your car.

The Entertainment system is also very very poor, USB, Tune-in, etc. etc. Not specific to your car. I knew it was a problem before I purchased the car and I send them a suggestion that they fix it every month.

On balance, I think you've done a good job of discovering various chronic issues with the MS! The curtain has been pulled back and revealed that old man behind the "great and powerful Wizard of Oz" (aka Elon), is not perfect. The only consolation is that some of it is fixable with software so it might get fixed before you sell (or return) the car.

Are you one of those people, who, when you walk under a street lamp it spontaneously burns out..?

Maybe you have an aura that is not well suited to electrical things.

It can happen.

Which would make electric car ownership especially challenging, I'd think.

Some people are similarly afflicted, but with mechanical things... constantly breaking just by touching. Who might be better off with an electric car.

It would truly suck if you were both kinds of person wrapped up as a single package. Those people are better off walking. In meadows and fields.

• Disagree
Reactions: taldric and kort677
ScottM, this is priceless.

I'm voting for meadows.

I love meadows.

Are you one of those people, who, when you walk under a street lamp it spontaneously burns out..?

Maybe you have an aura that is not well suited to electrical things.

It can happen.

Which would make electric car ownership especially challenging, I'd think.

Some people are similarly afflicted, but with mechanical things... constantly breaking just by touching. Who might be better off with an electric car.

It would truly suck if you were both kinds of person wrapped up as a single package. Those people are better off walking. In meadows and fields.

Reactions: scottm
Seriously though, let's break it down.

Doors fail to auto-present on a consistent basis. I have this problem when the key is in my pocket alone, next to my phone or next to my wallet. I have photos of the problem with the key in my hand. Often, I can prompt the doors to open by pressing the handle, but not always.
It happens sometimes. Handle touch/press should always make handle come out. Unless you have gloves on. Or, are touching the ground simultaneously with the other hand. It's a Turkish thing.

Have you left the area of the car completely for several minutes, between this fail? If you hover around the car, it gets tired of presenting handles and decides on saving wear and tear and battery power... and stops presenting. On purpose. It's a feature.

Have you got only the fob on your person when it happens, or always something else? Eliminate other thing/s (radio interference / noise). Eliminate all clothing if in doubt.

Does it happen in one location, but other locations are mostly fine? Or only when other events are going on - somebody using the microwave or elevator nearby? (electrical environmental / noise)

Tesla fails to recognize my keys in the car consistently. One in thirty times, with key in my pocket, dashboard says no key in car. Both problems occur with either key. Tesla insists that a. car is operating in specced range and there is no problem and b. that I’m not the only person with this problem.
Put your key in cup holder or on the floor in center console area. It should always detect there.

Put a new battery in the key.

Put key in right pants pocket. Not with your phone. Understandably difficult if you've removed all clothing from step above.

TuneIn log in not recognized, ever. Confirmed my account is valid on my computer.
Does your account work from another computer, not the car?

Dump cookies on your computer. Try again. Try from a different browser. Still working fine?

Get on TuneIn support line.

Try someone else's TuneIn account. If it works in the car, problem solved. Hijack the account. Hope for similar musical tastes and don't muck with playlists on each other. Share driving the car as a consolation, if necessary.

No longer able to use my USB SSD. It causes the touchscreen to freeze (intermittently), requiring a restart.
Get a different branded one. Don't be so cheap. You bought a knock-off from China. Get the real thing.

Don't use huge capacity sticks in the car. Stay under 32GB.

Normal to occasionally reboot center screen. At least you know how.

Navigation/traffic through New York, particularly from Westchester to Brooklyn and Long Island, is just about always wrong. Sends me down side routes that are always slower than the route shown on my iPhone by Google maps. When I follow the iPhone route, the time shown on the dashboard map inevitably goes down, new route is usually 10 to 15% faster than the outlined route.

New York. Seriously!? Can't help you there.

Intermittent windshield wipers will run super-fast if there’s tree sap on the windshield, regardless of how hard it’s raining.
Normal. Clean the sap off, using bug or tar remover. Clean after that with glass cleaner.

Last edited:
I am grateful to say that none of these gremlins has affected my car, with the possible exception of occasionally questionable navigation routes. In most cases so far, I have been able to apply my own knowledge and ignore what I thought was bad routing. Whether or not I made a better choice, I have no way to tell, of course.

My car does have occasional UI freezes and sometimes it seems to bog down or stutter. Re-booting has seemed to work each time so far.

best wishes to you in getting these addressed one way or another!

Seriously though, let's break it down.

It happens sometimes. Handle touch/press should always make handle come out. Unless you have gloves on.

Does it happen in one location, but other locations are mostly fine? Or only when other events are going on - somebody using the microwave or elevator nearby? (electrical environmental / noise)

Gloves won't make a difference, as it's a pressure switch not a capacitive one.

As for the environmental noise.. there was a place in downtown San Antonio where I would park and as soon as the car locked the only way I could get it back open was to hold the fob under the back hatch button while pressing (and moving it around to try to catch the exact antenna angle) or by using the phone app. Everywhere else, it worked flawlessly. No idea what was broadcasting that much to interfere with fob inches from door.