Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you making a reservation?

Are you making a reservation for a Model X?

• Yes! I haven't reserved a Model S, but I am so getting the X.

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Yes, and I'm cancelling my Model S reservation

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Yes, and I'm keeping my Model S reservation too.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • No, not getting a Tesla.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • No, I'm happy with my Model S reservation.

Votes: 58 47.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 9.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am reserving a production Model X to eventually replace our aging 2000 ML 320 at Noon today. I think the timing of the "X" reveal is perfect so Elon can mention "we already booked over XXXX reservations for the Model X" during their earnings call next week.

I just ordered a racy vanity plate I can put first on our S:

TSLA SX CA Tahoe Plate.jpg

I wonder if any future 4x4 Model S will be called the "Model SX"? :biggrin: It's the first non-refundable investment I've made in the vehicle (only $98). I selected the "Tahoe" plate because driving an BEV helps to maintain clean air and water, which Tahoe symbolizes, IMHO. Maybe Gov. Moonbeam should authorize an EV vanity plate? The revenues could be used to help fund a statewide charging network? I'll send his office and DMV an email about it. It was great he showed up for the unveil, which guaranteed a lot of local media TV coverage in the LA market.

(All the obvious CA plates like: "MODEL X", "TESLA X", and "TSLA X" were already taken.) While waiting for S delivery, I plan to install it on my 1983 380 SL.

PS. Attended Model X Premiere group viewing event at Santana Row. The store was crowded. It was weird, because after the Model S part, just as the Model X was being driven on stage, the video quality became so poor we couldn't make it out very well. My conspiracy theory is "Big Oil" organized a DoS attack on Tesla's servers! :mad:

a
Am reserving a production Model X to eventually replace our aging 2000 ML 320 at Noon today. I think the timing of the "X" reveal is perfect so Elon can mention "we already booked over XXXX reservations for the Model X" during their earnings call next week.
Good point, I hope many Model S reservation holders will reserve a Model X, if for anything, to see the stock go up more.

Btw. Good to meet you at the event. My first visit to Santana Row store--nice, and two Roadsters in the Tesla charging area in nearby parking garage!

a
Good point, I hope many Model S reservation holders will reserve a Model X, if for anything, to see the stock go up more.

Btw. Good to meet you at the event. My first visit to Santana Row store--nice, and two Roadsters in the Tesla charging area in nearby parking garage!

I enjoyed meeting and chatting with you at the event, too. I also hope that a significant percentage of Model S reservationists (especially stockholders!!) will also "reserve" a Model X to help juice the stock price up even more. I wonder how many were reserved in LA where people could see it in person? Somebody posted they are X P#17 already last night.

I plan to sell right before earnings and buy back in afterwards, however. I have a feeling they have been spending lots of money recently! They'll still have to prove they can manufacture the S in volume with quality before TSLA becomes a more stable growth stock, IMHO. Hopefully, everything will go pretty smoothly and the first S Sigs will roll off the line in July just like Elon's slide says. (I should be able to see the trucks loaded with Sigs leaving the plant with a telescope from my home in the hills above.)

As much as I couldn't wait to jump in with a Day1 reservation on my Model S, I think I'm comfortable waiting before putting down my interest free $5000 loan to Tesla for a Model X. I think that by 2014 we're going to see lotso of new options on the market. Also, if they get the factory working i don't think it will be hard to get a Model X within a few months even if we wait until 2014 to order one. I just don't feel the urgency to be first in line for this one. And while I have little doubt that the Model S will be a great car, at least we'll have a while to see how it performs in the real world bofore committing cash that we're trying to save for the Model S, for a Model X.

engle said:
Maybe Gov. Moonbeam should authorize an EV vanity plate? The revenues could be used to help fund a statewide charging network? I'll send his office and DMV an email about it.
That is, simply put, a brilliant idea. Should we start a petition?

An EV vanity plate would be even more attractive if it could substitute for the HOV access stickers (buy a plate, don't need to put stickers). Somehow I don't think that part would fly, but it's fun to speculate...

I was all excited to finally replace my 1995 Pathfinder with a Model X, but I need to have a roof rack to carry large stuff (kayaks, hang gliders) and with the doors there's no way that will work.

Otherwise, I would have put down a deposit at the event last night. Now, it looks like I'll be keeping my clunky old SUV until it's got 200K miles on it. Luckily, I mostly drive the Roadster.

I was all excited to finally replace my 1995 Pathfinder with a Model X, but I need to have a roof rack to carry large stuff (kayaks, hang gliders) and with the doors there's no way that will work.

Otherwise, I would have put down a deposit at the event last night. Now, it looks like I'll be keeping my clunky old SUV until it's got 200K miles on it. Luckily, I mostly drive the Roadster.

Small trailer for toys?

An EV vanity plate would be even more attractive if it could substitute for the HOV access stickers (buy a plate, don't need to put stickers). Somehow I don't think that part would fly, but it's fun to speculate...

that's actually exactly how Virginia does it. There's an EV plate (well, alternative clean fuel...) and it allows access to HOV lanes, at least for now.

I'm actually thinking of putting down a deposit on Model X as well after finally having viewed the video footage of the unveiling. I hope there will be a decent lease option for the Model S. Drive the Model S and keep the XC90 for the occasional holiday, and then swap to Model X, and getting rid of the dinosaur ; )). I can follow efuscos' thoughts as well, but if Tesla is not able to ramp up production as fast as predicted, and the reservations continue in the same pace as they did with Model S, you might have to wait longer than suspected. I'm not good at that.

That is, simply put, a brilliant idea. Should we start a petition?

Sure. We can also contact our state senators and assemblymembers. Here is the main webpage for CA State Legislature, followed by the page to look-up your reps. by your address:

http://www.legislature.ca.gov/

http://http://192.234.213.69/lmapsearch/framepage.asp

In Calif. we all have a State Senator and State Assemblymember. I know my Assemblymember, Bob Wieckowski, from when he was on the Fremont City Council. I'll contact his office to see if he might be interested in sponsoring such a bill, considering the factory is in his district.

This was Model X Premiere press release issued by Gov. Brown's office, followed by a link to contact them:

GOVERNOR BROWN TO SPEAK AT TESLA MOTORS VEHICLE PREMIERE

2-8-2012

LOS ANGELES – Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. will speak at Tesla Motors Model X vehicle premiere tomorrow.

When: Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. The Governor will speak at approximately 8 p.m.
Where: Tesla Los Angeles Design Studio, 1 Rocket Road, Hawthorne, CA 90250

**NOTE: This event is open to credentialed media only. Media interested in attending should contact Arica Mooney at [email protected] by noon on Thursday, February 9.

###

http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php

@MitchL: Agree EV plate much preferred over ugly stickers, so we should try to get this changed. However, I think highway patrol will argue they need stickers towards the rear sides of the vehicles where they can more easily see them as the EV passes by. However, if other states allow just the rear plate, then why not California? In an ideal world, EV's would be exempted from having a front license plate, also, to (slightly) improve aerodynamics. I never install front plates and have never been stopped for it. What I do is leave that temporary paper thing from DMV stuck to the right inside of the front windshield so my vehicle always appears to be "new" (no plates yet) when seen from the front of it by LE.

Last edited:
In Georgia we just get a plate. No stickers required. Plus we don't have front plates!

that's actually exactly how Virginia does it. There's an EV plate (well, alternative clean fuel...) and it allows access to HOV lanes, at least for now.

Oh but in Georgia you can't personalize the EV (well, alternative clean fuel ...) plate. That sucks, but is way better than putting tons of crappy stickers on your car. I mean I need that space for my annoying, and opinionated stickers.