Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

Reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

• Reserving at the reveal

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • Reserving at a store

Votes: 302 63.7%
  • Reserving online

Votes: 156 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lines at stores, seriously?? there wont be any lines come on folks this isn't an iPhone. They'll make a few thousand reservations and have a few hundred people across their stores on day 1. Believe it or not most people don't even know about the model 3 and car buying is remotely different to cell phone buying.
I was thinking the same until I talked to someone at the Charlotte NC store a couple days ago. They said with as many calls as they've received they expect a line out the door.

No word on method of payment that I'm aware of, but I think I remember something about the X reservations where Tesla would wait until the check would clear before giving you the reservation. So I'm steering clear of checks. And my credit card company has rejected big purchases before, and I don't feel liking having to butt back in line (or go to the end!) if that happens to re-try after I authorize it. So either debit card (as a non-debit card user, the funds come out right away, right? No chance of denial?) or if they'll allow it, straight cash.

No word on method of payment that I'm aware of, but I think I remember something about the X reservations where Tesla would wait until the check would clear before giving you the reservation. So I'm steering clear of checks. And my credit card company has rejected big purchases before, and I don't feel liking having to butt back in line (or go to the end!) if that happens to re-try after I authorize it. So either debit card (as a non-debit card user, the funds come out right away, right? No chance of denial?) or if they'll allow it, straight cash.

If you call your credit card company and give them a heads up on the purchase, you should be good. Sometimes they reject a payment like that because it goes beyond the bounds of your normal spending (if you constantly make big purchases on a credit card, then it shouldn't be a problem). I actually used my AMEX to pay the down payment on my last two car purchases, just to get the points. Never had a problem if I gave them a quick call first.

If you call your credit card company and give them a heads up on the purchase, you should be good. Sometimes they reject a payment like that because it goes beyond the bounds of your normal spending (if you constantly make big purchases on a credit card, then it shouldn't be a problem). I actually used my AMEX to pay the down payment on my last two car purchases, just to get the points. Never had a problem if I gave them a quick call first.

Certainly with AMEX you can authorize it yourself if you have the phone app open at the time you make the payment.

So disappointed to learn that the Charlotte NC store will NOT be accepting reservations. I had my whole day planned around it. I was going to crash at a friend's house north of Charlotte and we were both going to drive in to put money down. We had a test drive scheduled and everything.

Online. Since I'd be buying a low spec and I'm in the other corner of the USA, I think that if I were the first person to reserve in the world I'd still end up down the list.

The only way I'd buy a higher spec is if tax credit availability meant that a higher price would save money.

I just spoke to the Houston TX Gallery and they confirmed that they would be taking reservations. Details on time not yet available, but this saves me a flight to ATL.
My guess is that you'll still be reserving "online" with Tesla in California (to get around dealer laws) but that the store will have a special login to the on-line order form that allows access prior to 4/1.