Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARG!!! Creep Failed me :( Bad Results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Creep mode failed me. Had to turn around on a narrow 2 lane road, backed into a driveway, stopped about 2-3 feet from a telephone pole. The driveway had a SLIGHT decline. Popped er in drive, took foot off brake and wham! in 8,000 miles of driving, never, even on large hills, have I had the vehicle not hold when removing foot from brake. Yes, I confirmed it was in drive. Rolled back that 2-3 ft before I realized what happened. It was just starting to apply forward accel power, which prevented larger amounts of damage, however, I will be needing a new rear bumper :(

This car has never even been curbed. With winter coming though, I am going to clean it up the best possible, and buff the heck out of it. Wont bring it back, but will make it much less noticeable and ride out the winter, with so many bad drivers in Milwaukee, and especially bad during winter (unless replacement rear bumpers are fairly reasonable). Finally am glad I have a black car, because the plastic bumper is black plastic under the paint.
Will post pictures tomorrow :(

(BANGS HEAD AGAINST WALL REPEATABLY!)

No, it only happened 30 minutes ago :(

It's not going to be a warranty issue, as It was my negligence of hot holding the brake to make sure I was not going to roll. I am a fan of taking responsibility of ones actions (or lack their of). It's just unfortunately going to cost me :( I will call tomorrow to get bumper priced. If it was a 10 year old car, I'd just sand it, bondo, and repaint, but a bumper from tesla would be delivered already painted and ready to go.

No, it only happened 30 minutes ago :(

It's not going to be a warranty issue, as It was my negligence of hot holding the brake to make sure I was not going to roll. I am a fan of taking responsibility of ones actions (or lack their of). It's just unfortunately going to cost me :( I will call tomorrow to get bumper priced. If it was a 10 year old car, I'd just sand it, bondo, and repaint, but a bumper from tesla would be delivered already painted and ready to go.
Refreshing to read! There is hope for mankind indeed, lol!

I had my own no creep close call.... But a parking stop saved me from the car parked on the other side.

Does creep in automatics do hill hold? I've only ever driven stick, and while sticks creep, the power will not be enough to hold on any hill and the engine will stall.

so I'm a bit confused, was creep mode on or off? The way I read the OP post was that it was *on*, but enough of a decline that it still rolled backwards instead of creeping forwards.

so I'm a bit confused, was creep mode on or off? The way I read the OP post was that it was *on*, but enough of a decline that it still rolled backwards instead of creeping forwards.

My creep was on. Just did not take effect quick enough (Like it usually does).

Only way I can think of I can weasel my way out of paying for a new rear bumper, my trunk hatch had been rubbing on my rear bumper and rubbed through the clear coat. They fixed the clearance issue, but I never pressed a repair of the bumper. Maybe they will replace it ;) Though, I will not press it if they do not. It was still my negligence of not holding the break.

Hello,

Please make a note of the time this occurred and your firmware revision number and then contact Tesla ownership experience about this problem so they can take a look at the logs and see what happened. Although you've taken responsibility for over-relying on the creep feature, it may be a firmware bug and if the logs do show it failed, perhaps Tesla will do the right thing and work with you to pay part or all of the damages.

IMHO, if the feature has worked time and time again and then it suddenly failed, I'd question who's fault it really is. If you had the walk-away door lock feature turned on and someone stole your steering wheel without forced entry, would you still blame yourself because you should've double-checked that the doors were locked when you walked away?

Please contact Tesla and perhaps they can figure out what happened and help you.

I don't drive mine with creep but I understand creep is different than hill hold. Did you find creep provided a bit of hill hold like feature on small inclines?

Personally I don't like they backwards roll the MS does. I'm writing ownership to ask for a hill hold feature, which I'm sure many have, but since it isn't in v5.0 it must still be in development or in the queue (assuming its a simple software upgradeable feature). I do know creep was added as a direct effect of owner requests.

Hello,

Please make a note of the time this occurred and your firmware revision number and then contact Tesla ownership experience about this problem so they can take a look at the logs and see what happened. Although you've taken responsibility for over-relying on the creep feature, it may be a firmware bug and if the logs do show it failed, perhaps Tesla will do the right thing and work with you to pay part or all of the damages.

IMHO, if the feature has worked time and time again and then it suddenly failed, I'd question who's fault it really is. If you had the walk-away door lock feature turned on and someone stole your steering wheel without forced entry, would you still blame yourself because you should've double-checked that the doors were locked when you walked away?

Please contact Tesla and perhaps they can figure out what happened and help you.

Jak, That is a good suggestion. Again though, I will not push the issue of a bumper, however, I will accept if they offer :) Though, I do not feel comfortable with the walk away lock (and do not have it as no tech package). I've worn out many key fobs over the years due to excessive lock button, and since no horn beep when locking the MS doors, well, you get the idea :p

I will send a email off to ownership tomorrow, if not for the logs, to at least get a price (and I will report that back here, as I'm sure not many people have had to have body repairs, or at least not people who still have functioning cars........)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't drive mine with creep but I understand creep is different than hill hold. Did you find creep provided a bit of hill hold like feature on small inclines?

Personally I don't like they backwards roll the MS does. I'm writing ownership to ask for a hill hold feature, which I'm sure many have, but since it isn't in v5.0 it must still be in development or in the queue (assuming its a simple software upgradeable feature). I do know creep was added as a direct effect of owner requests.

I've always found creep to give not just a hill hold, but after a few seconds, forward accel. On steeper hills (not insanely steep, but a decent incline), I've found it to pause at a stop for about a half second to a second, and then start a slower then normal forward accel. Not nearly as fast as on flat ground, but something.

I use 2 feet on respective pedals while negotiating. Bong bong sound means you are doing this correctly, i.e. brakes are dragging and power (slight) is being applied. As you shift R>D or D>R you can momentarily let up on power if you care to. Dragging the brakes means you remain in control at all times.
--

I have to use both feet all of the time on Seattle hills because creep is not sufficient to hill hold. At least I learned on stick shift.

But I've been driving automatics for decades now, and many people have never driven a stick shift and had to use both feet simultaneously. I think it is a safety issue that Tesla ought to fix, with recalls if a software update isn't a possible fix.

Bong bong sound means you are doing this correctly

Agreed, but apparently Tesla feels otherwise. In addition to the sound, a "Warning" flashes on the dash too. For me, it's a little game where I release my left foot on the brake just as I'm pressing down on the accelerator with my right. I can get the car to move without any rollback and 9 times out of 10 without the Bong Bong sound too!