Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arguments about binning, hub sizes, and other speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When people say "some" suspension parts

OMG. That is not the point. It was thought that it was an easy change, calipers/discs/shocks and springs are normally replaced over time, and are part of the maintenance of a car. Hubs are difficult to replace and very expensive. So to the point, Tesla will not convert a P3D- to PUP. They said it to me in the SC. And if you are stubborn enough, yes you will have to replace the front hubs eventually due to wear out, at least the ball bearings. OMG ("roll eyes")

Oh, you must not have noticed, he knows EVERYTHING.....

or he'll tell you that in page-long diatribes.

When people say "some" suspension parts

OMG. That is not the point. It was thought that it was an easy change, calipers/discs/shocks and springs are normally replaced over time, and are part of the maintenance of a car. Hubs are difficult to replace and very expensive.

I wish you guys would stick to the topic at hand (track mode on the P3D-) rather than spreading misinformation and pretending to know whether or not the motors on Performance models were binned as Elon claimed they were. The fact is, we don't know. And I don't really care. And it's not relevant to the track mode us stealth P3D owners recently received (and which is the subject of this thread).

As to the misinformation, the hubs on the Performance model with Performance Upgrade Package are exactly the same hubs as on the P3D-. There is absolutely no difference. The AWD has the same hubs as well. So all this talk of having to change out the hubs to go from P3D- to P3D is as misinformed as the claim that you know whether our motors were binned or not. And again, I don't care so go find a thread on that specific topic if you wish to continue pretending to know more than the rest of us.

Reactions: Perry
I wish you guys would stick to the topic at hand (track mode on the P3D-) rather than spreading misinformation and pretending to know whether or not the motors on Performance models were binned as Elon claimed they were. The fact is, we don't know. And I don't really care. And it's not relevant to the track mode us stealth P3D owners recently received (and which is the subject of this thread).

As to the misinformation, the hubs on the Performance model with Performance Upgrade Package are exactly the same hubs as on the P3D-. There is absolutely no difference. The AWD has the same hubs as well. So all this talk of having to change out the hubs to go from P3D- to P3D is as misinformed as the claim that you know whether our motors were binned or not. And again, I don't care so go find a thread on that specific topic if you wish to continue pretending to know more than the rest of us.
Who talked about the motors binned?, not me and not in this post.
And I went to the Tesla Service Center to buy the parts, and it was they who told me that the hubs where different and that I could not buy the parts. Elon did say at one point that we were going to be able to add the parts latter. It seems it is YOU who are misinformed. So stop trolling around.

Who talk about the motors binned, not me and not in this post.
And I went to the Tesla Service Center to buy the parts, and it was they who told me that the hubs where different and that I could not buy the parts. It seems it is YOU who are misinformed. So stop trolling around.

You're misinformed. The front hubs are the same on the P3D, the P3D- and the AWD. RWD Model 3's have different front hubs.

Good for you for not being one who kept going off on the binning tangent. I wasn't pointing at you with that comment, the guilty parties know who they are.

Reactions: SammichLover
Who talked about the motors binned?, not me and not in this post.
And I went to the Tesla Service Center to buy the parts, and it was they who told me that the hubs where different and that I could not buy the parts. Elon did say at one point that we were going to be able to add the parts latter. It seems it is YOU who are misinformed. So stop trolling around.
The hubs are the same on all 4WD model 3s (AWD, P-, P+). The front hubs on the RWD might be different only because they have no drive shaft in the front. Tesla Service Center often doesn't know what they are talking about. People (shops) have physically looked at what is different and the hubs where not different between P- and P+. And as far as suspension. Very little is different there too. Only the camber arms in the rear are slightly longer to accommodate the negative camber gained by the slight lowering of the P+. That does not affect performance one bit. All it does is keep the camber alignment true. So the P+ does not have better suspension than any of the other model 3 variance. The suspension from a tracking perspective is not that great on any of the model 3s. The suspension geometry is great but the springs and shocks are not.

Only thing different on the P+ is: different calipers (mostly for looks since they all can lock the wheels), slightly larger rotors (brake fade will happen later), wheels (heavy and not good for performance), and performance tires (these are fine). Overall a P- with aftermarket parts, coilovers, MMP rotors, and light wheels, (AKA P# or Performance sharped) will destroy the P+ or any P- with whatever parts upgrades Tesla may offer. So why even look at Tesla for a parts upgrade solution?

Last edited:
the P+ does not have better suspension than any of the other model 3 variance.

That's not correct.

Parts catalog shows differences in sway bars and both front and rear dampers on the P compared to some other 3 variants....this was discussed in more detail (with specific PNs) back when the catalog first opened to the public.

That's not correct.

Parts catalog shows differences in sway bars and both front and rear dampers on the P compared to some other 3 variants....this was discussed in more detail (with specific PNs) back when the catalog first opened to the public.

It's not usual for the manufacturer to use a different part number to account for variances between models. For example, the AWD has different front springs and dampers than the RWD Model 3 to account for the extra weight of the front motor. They are not any better or worse springs or dampers, they are just tuned to the specific requirements of the extra motor weight.

The Performance model has a lower suspension so it wouldn't be surprising if they used different (not better) dampers/springs.

Reactions: Perry
It's not usual for the manufacturer to use a different part number to account for variances between models. For example, the AWD has different front springs and dampers than the RWD Model 3 to account for the extra weight of the front motor. They are not any better or worse springs or dampers, they are just tuned to the specific requirements of the extra motor weight.

The Performance model has a lower suspension so it wouldn't be surprising if they used different (not better) dampers/springs.

I can't speak to if they're better or not- but they're not the same which was Perrys claim.

And the sway bars are physically different diameter, so there's absolutely a difference in their performance (there's really no other reason for that)

I can't speak to if they're better or not- but they're not the same which was Perrys claim.

Technically, you are right. Congrats.

But his conclusion was this:
So the P+ does not have better suspension than any of the other model 3 variance.

If you want to point to a 25mm stabilizer bar instead of a 24 mm, fine. But I'm pretty sure that was done to compensate for the lower ride height (less travel before bottoming). The fact remains, the suspensions are nearly identical. Biggest change is the .4 inch drop.

And the wheel hubs are identical.

I'm perplexed; I really thought this forum would have knowledgeable people. But LOL I'm not one either as I came to learn....
Usually in the forums there is a few guys that share the light to others that are looking for it. Although with my lack of knowledge I do know a few details and listening to you guys argue about some of them is even funny. You need to learn 1- the fact that the parts book does not show differences, does not mean there is not, however do not use that in your arguments and then come back in a different discussion and say the parts book does not show that. 2- if a part is different but works, do not say is the same part.
Well time to open the pop corn bag....

I'm perplexed; I really thought this forum would have knowledgeable people. But LOL I'm not one either as I came to learn....
Usually in the forums there is a few guys that share the light to others that are looking for it. Although with my lack of knowledge I do know a few details and listening to you guys argue about some of them is even funny.

What's even funnier is your pretending that you were not an active participant in arguing while spreading provably false information. "Listening to you guys" argue? You might want to check the previous 15 posts or so (maybe you were posting in your sleep, ;)).

Well time to open the pop corn bag....

I hope this indicates a more passive role, one in which you will not insist you know what you're talking about on topics that you know nothing about! Normally, I wouldn't come down so hard on someone who had a simple misunderstanding but it's the manner in which you ran roughshod over others and acted like others didn't have a clue that I found troubling. It doesn't take any more effort to have an "enlightening discussion" than it does to have a brash argument. We need more of the former and less of the latter.

Reactions: MagnusMako
Because to install wheels on the P+ they need to open the Center Bore which is because the ridge on the hub. And I stopped being combative because even if SC said it is different, I realized it does NOT matter as if it is or not, because it is NOT needed for the swap.
So I am going to enjoy you guys speculate over things. For instance, the rear upper fore links are added when you buy the 20" but not because the springs are lower, since the regular model 3 has regular springs. So details like that makes me just see this forum as entertainment and thus the POP corn.

Because to install wheels on the P+ they need to open the Center Bore which is because the ridge on the hub.

Yes, as I've explained, that's because the Performance model comes with front discs that have a thinner hub that allows the wheel hub to protrude a few mm's. The thinner is the hub on the brake discs, not the wheel hub (which is the same part regardless of which AWD model you are considering). I hope this helps you understand.