Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't receive my car until Wed this week, but I called the MVD before Memorial Day to ask -- mostly since my MVPA is dated in May. I was surprised they were not aware of the upcoming rate reduction (both the initial rep and supervisor I was handed to). But she confirmed that they charge the rate as o the day you bring it in.

Might be worth bringing a print screen of the sales tax notice with you if you go in to register this week. Just in case they insist on using the old rate...
Cool. Yeah, I figure it may take them a few days to adjust for the tax rate change, in acknowledgement and in systems. I have until mid-July to register my car since the temp registration from CA is good for 90 days. I'm in no rush to give money to the state of AZ, so, I'm going to wait at least tip next week, if not longer. The only reason I want to go soon at all is I want to register my idea for a vanity plate. I doubt it'll get snapped up, but it could if I wait.

Well. folks, the bad news is.....

The Arizona DMV considers the purchase date, not the date one registers the vehicle, as the operative date on which to levy the sales (use) tax. Yesterday, Monday the 4th, we were charged the higher rate. Today, this was confirmed as accurate by the Problem Resolution Office of the Arizona Dept of Revenue.

Thus any vehicle purchased prior to June 1, 2013 is being charged the additional 1%.

We'd sure like to be made aware of any change in this situation, should someone encounter it.

Thanks

Has anyone insight as to the specific locations of Arizona SC sites in Tesla's May 2013 updated site map? Or are these vapor-sites, to be treated "more like a guideline"?

Has anyone insight as to the specific locations of Arizona SC sites in Tesla's May 2013 updated site map? Or are these vapor-sites, to be treated "more like a guideline"?

The one that looks to be on the west side of Phoenix:
I would speculate the I-10 & Watson Road exit, plenty to eat and do there shopping wise and the last real exit with any shopping/eating until Quartzite.

I was in Blythe last week and searched for any kind of initial constuction off the Lovekin exit where the food etc is, and found nothing. Blythes online permit system also show nothing for a "tesla" search.

The Arizona DMV considers the purchase date, not the date one registers the vehicle, as the operative date on which to levy the sales (use) tax. Yesterday, Monday the 4th, we were charged the higher rate. Today, this was confirmed as accurate by the Problem Resolution Office of the Arizona Dept of Revenue.

Thus any vehicle purchased prior to June 1, 2013 is being charged the additional 1%.

We'd sure like to be made aware of any change in this situation, should someone encounter it.

Thanks

I can confirm this. I got my car registered today at the Tempe MVD location on Larkspur and the first thing the lady behind the counter said to me was "too bad you didn't purchase this after June 1. You would have saved 1% on the sales tax." I suppose I could have held off for another couple of months (I've had my car less than a month so still had quite a bit of time left on the 90 day California temporary) and hoped they would have forgotten about it; it appears to be a manual process as the lady was doing the calculations on an adding machine. Oh well...I guess the good news is that the state is doing the smart, fiscally responsible thing, and at least the 1% is going towards education (it's supposed to anyway). BTW, my plates were $80 for two years.

Thanks

Ron -
What date did they use as the "purchase date"?

I just took delivery today... My bill of sale / MVPA is dated May 23, but it shows 6/2 as the "vehicle to be delivered on or about" date, and is stamped "Paid in Full" on 5/30...

Thanks

I can confirm this. I got my car registered today at the Tempe MVD location on Larkspur and the first thing the lady behind the counter said to me was "too bad you didn't purchase this after June 1. You would have saved 1% on the sales tax." I suppose I could have held off for another couple of months (I've had my car less than a month so still had quite a bit of time left on the 90 day California temporary) and hoped they would have forgotten about it; it appears to be a manual process as the lady was doing the calculations on an adding machine. Oh well...I guess the good news is that the state is doing the smart, fiscally responsible thing, and at least the 1% is going towards education (it's supposed to anyway). BTW, my plates were $80 for two years.
Ish.

Thanks for the confirmation though!

Did you guys have any issues getting the alternative fuel license plate? I heard some people had to go through inspection even though Bill of Sale clearly says it is an electric vehicle.
Same here. I thought it had to do with the fact that the VIN could not be looked up in their system, but they told me that the inspection was a requirement for the vehicle to be registered as an electric. They said I could also obtain a certificate from the dealer - which I didn't have.

Same here. I thought it had to do with the fact that the VIN could not be looked up in their system, but they told me that the inspection was a requirement for the vehicle to be registered as an electric. They said I could also obtain a certificate from the dealer - which I didn't have.

I thought you needed the Certificate of Origin in order to get the car titled in AZ and then registered? The CoA states its electric...

I'm planning to take mine in next week to the MVD near Scottsdale Airpark, which has an onsite inspection location, so easy enough to get it done if needed...

My car is supposed to be delivered tomorrow but I still don't have a time. My DS tells me that he does not participate in the actual delivery and that I need to schedule a follow-up walkthru with him at the Scottsdale store after delivery. He says that the shipping/trucking company should be contacting me with a delivery time. The DS has confirmed as recently as yesterday that we are still on for Saturday (tomorrow) but I have still not heard from the shipping/trucking company. Is this normal? Am I supposed to just wait araund all day tomorrow and hope that they show up?

Did you guys have any issues getting the alternative fuel license plate? I heard some people had to go through inspection even though Bill of Sale clearly says it is an electric vehicle.

I didn't need an inspection. The lady at the Tempe office had just registered another one the day before I did mine so she was pretty on top of things. Not including the initial wait time, I was out of there within 15 minutes with my alt fuel plate. Make sure you double check the paperwork as Tesla is not in their system so she had to manually type it in. She initially spelled it wrong.

I thought you needed the Certificate of Origin in order to get the car titled in AZ and then registered? The CoA states its electric...
I forgot to mention, that in my case, I was registering the Model S as a "used" car, since I was transferring the title and registration from Washington, state. So, maybe the inspection was required in that case. It was only $157 for a 5 year registration.

My car is supposed to be delivered tomorrow but I still don't have a time. My DS tells me that he does not participate in the actual delivery and that I need to schedule a follow-up walkthru with him at the Scottsdale store after delivery. He says that the shipping/trucking company should be contacting me with a delivery time. The DS has confirmed as recently as yesterday that we are still on for Saturday (tomorrow) but I have still not heard from the shipping/trucking company. Is this normal? Am I supposed to just wait araund all day tomorrow and hope that they show up?

My car was delivered this week. DS confirmed Wednesday, and said they don't specify a time or slot, and that the delivery co would call that morning -- but I had him note that afternoon was better for me. I received a call on Monday from the delivery co (an LA-area phone number) -- saying the car would be delivered on Tuesday, and I asked if it could be after 1pm, and he said yes. The local delivery guy called me at 9:30am on Tues morning -- saying he was on the way to my house (I'm in far north Scottsdale, so near you in Cave Creek), but I was at the office downtown. I rushed home, and he arrived 15 min later (I think he waited before actually leaving for the house).

I would expect a call from the shipping company today -- so Sat delivery should still work.

Delivery was done with the car in a long trailer towed by a diesel pickup truck (the trailer could easily could hold 2 Teslas...). If you live in a cul-de-sac, I would recommend asking him to pull the car out on the next street over. Our cul-de-sac has a planter bed in the middle -- so its larger around than most, and he was barely able to get the trailer turned around...

Got ours registered at the Paradise Ln North Scottsdale office. No inspection necessary....but the clerk was aware of Tesla.....she said they are "selling like hot cakes". Wait was better part of an hour..was told Monday and Fridays are busiest.

OK, So something's up. I went to Larkspur today. They only charged me 5.6% sales tax. I took delivery of my car on 4/18. So, I only got charged the NEW rate. The clerk even asked me when my loan started (I told her 4/12).

And I registered for 5 years for $117. Amazing that I can register for 5 years (since no emissions check needed). And amazing that it only costs $117. My RS6 cost me over $1000 for 1 year when I had it. Seeing the "18" sticker is just surreal.

Got the Blue plate - actually a decent number for a random one. BUt I will still go for a custom one. THey said I had to do that separately online.

And by the way, no inspection was necessary. The title did clearly say "Electric"

Last edited:
Registered ours today at the Paradise Ln/Scottsdale location and had to do the inspection which meant sitting in line twice (big line this morning to get the numbered ticket). So may just depend on the person you get as to whether or not you will need the inspection. 5 year registration for ours was $159 but make sure you mention it since they manually calculate everything. Otherwise, was very easy. :cool:

OK, So something's up. I went to Larkspur today. They only charged me 5.6% sales tax. I took delivery of my car on 4/18. So, I only got charged the NEW rate. The clerk even asked me when my loan started (I told her 4/12).

You got lucky!! I went to Tempe yesterday and was charged 6.5%. Guy had never heard to Tesla before so I took him sometime to register it but he clearly mentioned that it would be old tax rate since loan date and delivery date were both before June 1. No inspection required.

Did any one make any mods on door handles? My car is parked outside all day at work and when I get back around 5.30, they are extremely hot, can't even touch them :( I wish the precooling the car via cell phone would cool the handles as well.