Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just watched the video of Tesla owners taking the track at the Richmond International Raceway (Virginia) to draw attention to the Tesla Model S due to Virginia's law that prohibits selling TMS's in Virginia. Should we do the same at the Phoenix International Raceway in Avondale AZ? I think it'd be kinda fun for us all to gather there for a few laps around the track!! Media? Heck! We are the media.. we know more about the car than most anyone! We could answer questions and get a little more media coverage for the MS. Maybe Tesla Scottsdale could set his event up. Any thoughts?

I've driven on a high banked speedway at a charity event. For liability reasons, these events are tightly controlled with a lead vehicle maintaining a safe (boring) speed and a chase vehicle keeping the group bunched up to prevent someone from hanging back in order to get a bit of room to run. Track rental is very expensive and not something Tesla is likely to consider for a promotional event. As long a Tesla is production constrained as opposed to demand limited, TM will not be spending on advertising or promotional events.

Hummm..... looking ahead at superchargers.... I know this stretches the thread a little;) I'm just throwing it out there.. ARIZONA>> Blythe, Buckeye, Wickenburg, Kingman, Show Low, Casa Grande, Gila Bend, Welton and Yuma. Those are my thoughts. Give me your feedback on those locations for TSCS's. Tesla is getting better and better at getting these installed. US 10 coast to coast seems much more doable in the fall/winter season that either 80 or 40 just because the weather is so much better. I also think the route to Las Vegas is a must from both CA and AZ.
Tesla is bound to have multiple electric contractors doing installations.... heck..$ permitting, I think we are in for a surprise. I think Tesla will be far ahead of schedule at the end of the year.
Winter 2013 ends March of 2014, another reason US 10 makes sense to me.

Seems odd unless your destination is Tucson!:wink:

Even then it should seem odd. 4 between Yuma and Tucson? Its a flat drive and no more than 250 miles max. So why 4 chargers in that corridor and none on the I-40 after Kingman? If they really anticipate that much traffic, it seems they would do better to just install more charging stalls.

Hope they add one east of Flagstaff on the I-40 and somewhere on the I-17, maybe Camp Verde.

Does it seem odd to anyone else that they are putting so many on the I-8 and hardly any on the I-40? Seems like they need one more between Flagstaff and Holbrook.

Agree -- the density on I-8 is just odd. There are 5 dots in the 237 miles from El Centro to Casa Grande -- so 59 miles apart on average!
- El Centro makes sense -- 113 miles to San Diego and just before you have to do the big elevation gain. This site has also already been confirmed
- The Yuma site has also already been confirmed -- but is only 60 miles from El Centro.
- Casa Grande makes sense -- between Phoenix/Tucson and near the I-8 and I-10 junction (although both the outlet malls there have really gone downhill...)
- But Casa Grande to Yuma is 180 miles, which would be dicey in a 60 on a hot summer day -- so even the Gila Bend dot starts to make sense.
- But why the 5th dot between Yuma and Gila Bend? I'm guessing that was left by mistake -- it makes sense if there wasn't one in Yuma or Gila Bend, but I'm guessing someone figured there is literally not much there, then forgot to take the dot off.

On the other hand, I-40 needs attention -- the only dot in AZ on the plan is Kingman. Williams makes sense -- there's a big elevation gain from Kingman, so Flagstaff is a bit risky in a 60. Winslow or Holbrook also makes sense -- reachable from Williams and Gallup.

They also need one between Phoenix and Flagstaff -- Camp Verde would be good...

Last edited:
I just want any that allow us to easily get out of hell* upon occasion.

* OK, AZ is nice enough. But it'd be nice to be able to drive to LA, SD, LV on occasion.

LOL, we are in agreement there. They seem to have anything headed West covered, so I'm not worried there.

I like to get up to Durango, CO and with no superchargers after the elevation climb out of Phoenix, I'm not making it far past Flagstaff.

Just so you know, I was told that an invite for a test drive will be sent out in the next week to those who signed up at the Tesla Store. Test drives will occur on the weekend of the 13th-16th (I believe). Since your car isn't available until then anyway, he could probably sign up and get his test drive. Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Just so you know, I was told that an invite for a test drive will be sent out in the next week to those who signed up at the Tesla Store. Test drives will occur on the weekend of the 13th-16th (I believe). Since your car isn't available until then anyway, he could probably sign up and get his test drive. Just a thought.

And I'm sorry I didn't quote what I was responding to. It was regarding this post:
My S60 isn't due for delivery until the second week of September, but I live in Prescott. If your friend would like to chat about the car, he can email me at [email protected], and we can connect. Obviously I can't give him a drive, but I've become fairly knowledgeable about the car, and can at least maybe answer some questions.

- - - Updated - - -

And I'm sorry I didn't quote what I was responding to. It was regarding this post:
My S60 isn't due for delivery until the second week of September, but I live in Prescott. If your friend would like to chat about the car, he can email me at [email protected], and we can connect. Obviously I can't give him a drive, but I've become fairly knowledgeable about the car, and can at least maybe answer some questions.

Thanks everyone, I had a couple offers over PM but we found out from the Scottsdale store they are having a drive event in Sept, like you said. He is signed up.

Take this with a big grain of salt... but I was told by someone at the Phoenix service center that they suspect the supercharger location is being changed from Buckeye to Gilbert, yet the Tesla map does not reflect that and a Gilbert location would not make much sense given the amount of traffic to and from California along the I-10. Wherever it is, they will need to break ground in the next couple of months if they are going to meet the end of year deadline.