Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Darwin, I have a follow up question in regard to how the averaging works on e-15, mostly becuase what the SRP rep told me when I went to change to the e-15 that didn't seem to match how the plan reads. If I have only, for instance four days where I show any demand usages in a 30 day month, as follows:

Day 1= 0.6
Day 2= 0.1
Day 3= 0.1
Day 4= 0.1
Day 5-30 = 0 demand

Will this be averaged with a calculation something like this: (0.6 + 0.1 + 0.1+ 0.1)/30 = 0.03kW average demand for the month?

Or is it simply (0.6 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1)/3 = 0.3kW average demand for the month?

The SRP rep on the phone indicated the latter, actually, she said I'd only be better off if I use up to 10kWrs in a demand period on this demand averaging plan, but the plan reads as if it's the first calculation. I kind of think she was confused.

I can't say I've tracked my bill closely as of late, but I'm pretty sure based on my first few bills that it's the former, with the caveat that your demand is averaged over the number of on-peak days for the billing month. Weekends and holidays don't count, so it's typically around ~21 days each month.

So for your example, your average demand would be something like: (0.6 + 0.1 + 0.1+ 0.1)/21 = 0.04kW. SRP appears to round demand to the nearest 0.1kW, but I'm not quite sure how exactly they do the rounding (I'm sure to their advantage). I believe at least that 0.040 kW and below would be rounded down to 0 kW.

The SRP rep's comment is a little funny - and troubling. That would mean you would often be better off demand-wise to try to have some negligible demand each day instead of 0.

• Informative
Reactions: JayClark
I can't say I've tracked my bill closely as of late, but I'm pretty sure based on my first few bills that it's the former, with the caveat that your demand is averaged over the number of on-peak days for the billing month. Weekends and holidays don't count, so it's typically around ~21 days each month.

So for your example, your average demand would be something like: (0.6 + 0.1 + 0.1+ 0.1)/21 = 0.04kW. SRP appears to round demand to the nearest 0.1kW, but I'm not quite sure how exactly they do the rounding (I'm sure to their advantage). I believe at least that 0.040 kW and below would be rounded down to 0 kW.

The SRP rep's comment is a little funny - and troubling. That would mean you would often be better off demand-wise to try to have some negligible demand each day instead of 0.

Okay, thanks, that's what I thought too. And dividing by 21 days does make sense. I should have thought to exclude the weekends in the calc.

Reactions: Darwin
Got PTO this morning from APS.

Install July 15
Inspections passed July 30
Took Tesla ~2 weeks after inspections passed to submit the panel layout revisions to APS for some reason
APS re-reviewed and approved revisions 8/13
Tesla submitted installer completion/certification 8/14
APS did final approval yesterday 8/17
APS installed meters and gave PTO this morning 8/18

Super impressed with APS speed. Tesla not so much, lol. But at least it's done and I'm online.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Successful first day. Made it through 5 hour peak period on battery/solar, ended with 32% battery remaining. A/C ran almost the entire 5 hours and we had some cloud cover most of the afternoon, which reduced solar output. Wasn't sure how well 2 PWs would support but I think this will work fine.

Screenshot_20200818-200154.png

Zero grid usage during demand period (not sure what that tiny blip is, but it's a 200 watt blip, insignificant). That was most of the point. Yay.

Screenshot_20200818-201514.png

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm glad to finally find people with tesla solar on Arizona. I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out if I'd end up saving money with solar or not.

I'm in East Mesa with srp. I don't really understand how the fees with srp work and I wouldn't be able to afford to pay on cash so I'd have to get a loan for solar.
I've used the calculator on the site but I seem to get vastly different results on various pages.
My average bill for this entire year was 160, however my bill got as high as 377 last month so obviously in the summertime it can get pretty bad.
What I'm trying to find out is someone who's similar to me and find if you're saving money or if you'd have been better off waiting for solar until you could pay in full on cash?

How much has your monthly bill been in the summertime including how much you're paying in whatever fees srp throws at you?
I'm not sure what size system I need, the tesla website flip-flops between recommending 2 power walls and 4 power walls.
It doesn't seem like tesla has an option to speak with any experts regarding this, however I'm not entirely sure I'd trust a salesman who probably makes commission as there's been issues with them lying to some customers about savings.

In August my daily average was 101kwh
July my daily average was 80kwh
I used 3,146 kw for my last bill (mid July - mid August)

Could someone who already knows what kinda fees there would be in Mesa with srp help me figure out if this would be beneficial or not?

Who are you all talking to in order to have sales tax removed? I was charged tax, just called in to the energy advisor team and they are telling me there is no exemption in AZ.
I literally emailed my rep this link: https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/2r/bills/sb1229p.pdf
Explained that Arizona does not charge tax on storage as well and directed here to Section 1, 15 or simply line 27 on the last page.

The next day I received a new loan agreement from Tesla and today I resubmitted my application to Mosaic for the new loan amount and was approved. (Monthly payment went down ~$5 with the tax removed.)

GOOD LUCK!

• Helpful
Reactions: destructure00
Hello,

I'm glad to finally find people with tesla solar on Arizona. I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out if I'd end up saving money with solar or not.

I'm in East Mesa with srp. I don't really understand how the fees with srp work and I wouldn't be able to afford to pay on cash so I'd have to get a loan for solar.
I've used the calculator on the site but I seem to get vastly different results on various pages.
My average bill for this entire year was 160, however my bill got as high as 377 last month so obviously in the summertime it can get pretty bad.
What I'm trying to find out is someone who's similar to me and find if you're saving money or if you'd have been better off waiting for solar until you could pay in full on cash?

How much has your monthly bill been in the summertime including how much you're paying in whatever fees srp throws at you?
I'm not sure what size system I need, the tesla website flip-flops between recommending 2 power walls and 4 power walls.
It doesn't seem like tesla has an option to speak with any experts regarding this, however I'm not entirely sure I'd trust a salesman who probably makes commission as there's been issues with them lying to some customers about savings.

In August my daily average was 101kwh
July my daily average was 80kwh
I used 3,146 kw for my last bill (mid July - mid August)

Could someone who already knows what kinda fees there would be in Mesa with srp help me figure out if this would be beneficial or not?
My criteria was to not pay anymore than my current electric bill. I’m on managed pay plan so $250 month. I orderEd X-Lg 16.32 Kw and 3 powerwalls. With the 20 yr loan, that’s about the same as my monthly electric bill once get all the tax incentives. I choose 3 powerwalls so I could have whole house with 2 AC units running if have grid outage. SRP will charge you a $32.44 grid fee each month so you would have to sell them back enough power to get rid of those dollars. On a TOU plan they pay you 2.81 cents per kWh.

Okay, thanks, that's what I thought too. And dividing by 21 days does make sense. I should have thought to exclude the weekends in the calc.

Hi Jay did you end up switching to the E-15 plan? I can’t seem to wrap my head around why it would be better. I have very small demand hits every so often, but nothing more than 1kw a month.

I guess I would need to see some higher demand charges for that plan to make an impact?

I will say this month has been tough on my powerwalls and I’m barely making it to 8pm. My bill is projected to be $140 this month when it’s usually $110ish. It’s has been a hot month!

Would this plan make more sense and “if” I took a demand hit not so much of a big deal?

i like a cool house

Thanks Kcarver,

You're at 250 a month so I'm guessing you pay somewhere around 150/month for your loan?
The extra 100 is your cost of using electric? Or am I mistaken?
What about winter time, are you still paying 250 a month or does it go down? (My water heater is gas, so my winter bills are usually fairly low whenever I don't need to run AC)

Hi Jay did you end up switching to the E-15 plan? I can’t seem to wrap my head around why it would be better. I have very small demand hits every so often, but nothing more than 1kw a month.

I guess I would need to see some higher demand charges for that plan to make an impact?

I will say this month has been tough on my powerwalls and I’m barely making it to 8pm. My bill is projected to be $140 this month when it’s usually $110ish. It’s has been a hot month!

Would this plan make more sense and “if” I took a demand hit not so much of a big deal?

i like a cool house

It has been a hot one! I am supposed to be switched to the e-15 next month after my current billing period ends, but that means I won't be able to compare the results of the e-27 to e-15 until around mid October as my current billing cycle doesn't close out until mid Sept.

After reading the plans carefully, and based on @Darwins feedback and the calculations we discussed in the posts above, it does seem like for those of us that on most week-days have zero peak usage because of the Powerwalls with only a few exceptions during the month, then we would be better off on e-15.

If I understand the plans correctly, here are some an examples I used to compare. My situation, having 4 PWs, is more like Example 1, but I've never actually seen a peak anywhere near 10kW, I've once had 1.5kW, and every other month it's been closer to 0.0-0.5 at most. So Example 1 should be worst case for folks that sized their PWs system to cover peak periods on most days of the month.

This is ignoring all off-peak charges and usage, which are the same on either plan. These examples & calculations are purely about comparing what happens with peak-demand usage charges in different situations, what additional charges would occur related to SRPs demand charges during Summer Peak on each plan.

Example 1 - Favors e-15:
Peak Day 1 = 10kW (so something crazy bad happened two days in a row, where peak demand hit 10kW demand peak)
Peak Day 2 = 10kW
Peak Days 3-20 = 0.5 ( 18 days, all with with small usage occurring every day)
(i.e. week-days, days with peaks, so days 3-20 the PW(s) covered most use, except just little grid draw blips, they rarely happen every day in my system like this example, so this is worst case, day 1 & day 2 had the 10kW surprise demands)​
Plan comparison calculations example looks like this, you can adjust the values above and then below depending on your situation:
e-15: Average Demand Plan:
((10+10 for for 2-days) + ((18-days*0.5)) /20 in month) = 1.45 "average" peak demand * $22 "average demand rate" = $31.9 demand charge for the month.

e-27: Customer Gen Plan:
10kW peak; first 3kW charged @ $9.43 = $28.29, next 7kW charged @ $17.41 = $121.87;
So $28.29 + $121.87 = $150.16 Total Demand charge for the month.
(even though two days hit 10, this plan only cares about the single highest, and then to breaks up for scaled demand rate application)​

Example 2 - Favors e-27:
If a home had 30 days in a row where they never saw anything even close to a 10kW peak, but rather saw lower 3kW, but consistently saw 3kW peak demand every single week-day (so more like homes without PWs), then the calculation Looks like this, more in favor of e-27:

e-15: Average Demand Plan: (3kW peak demand *20 days)/20 days (to average) *$22 = $66
e-27: Customer Gen Plan: (3kW peak demand for entire month) * $9.43 (first tier charge rate) = $28.29

Last edited:
update, my system will be installed on Wednesday in Anthem. 12.2 KW with 3 powerwalls. I am excited!!! I will be cleaning up the garage to give them more room to work this weekend. I will post pictures of the progress.

A great install by the Tesla team. They wired everything before coming back and doing the final rough in today. We only were without power for less than 3 hours this morning. On to the inspections

Attachments

• 1D1CB9F4-872F-49B0-A855-7552A1C9A9A7.jpeg
    1D1CB9F4-872F-49B0-A855-7552A1C9A9A7.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 74
Thanks Kcarver,

You're at 250 a month so I'm guessing you pay somewhere around 150/month for your loan?
The extra 100 is your cost of using electric? Or am I mistaken?
What about winter time, are you still paying 250 a month or does it go down? (My water heater is gas, so my winter bills are usually fairly low whenever I don't need to run AC)
No loan will be $250/month and I’m assuming my solar generation plus power wall storage covers all my electrical needs plus enough to sell back to SRP to cover $32.44 grid fee. On managed pay plan you pay a fixed amount each month. So actual bill is lower in winter so $ get banked and then used during summer when bill is closer to $400/month. My house is all electric.