Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Artax hits a Black Bear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, so many things don't work... so many s/w problems. If that is the definition of spoiled, then yes, spoiled. Guess it is expecting too much for tesla to deliver something that works.

tesla's promise is to deliver new features as they evolve; are you saying that if it wasn't part of the original spec you should not expect it to work? Interesting position; if I told my customer they shouldn't expect features to work if they were not part of the original spec, wouldn't be long before my employer declared Chapter 11.

The lane keep assist on my Volt never worked the day I got it and it still doesn’t work the day I returned it.

As long as you have your car, Tesla still is and will work to improve it. Tesla said it would evolve cars but it didn’t obligate itself to anything besides self driving.

It’s obvious that user dashcam was not planned from the start. Tesla could have used USB 3.0 in front and setup the UI to view videos right on the teslapad.

I’ve even advocated that Tesla should do a freemium model with the dash cam. They can easily charge a subscription service for the UI features I mentioned along with cloud upload/storage, etc.

Yes when something is offered you expect it to work. The amount that you expect it to “work” should be proportionately related to how much you spent for it. Dash cam is a freebie. I don’t even get it on my Model X. I’ll take the half broken free dash cam on that car with no complaints.

I doubt your employer would randomly offer features, not charge them and offer SLA and warranty for such features.

I’m waiting when you tell me Porsche or GM, Ford etc offers better and reliable software support on their cars.

Who else does that software dashcam better?

Your first post said:
As an aside, it is notable that there were absolutely NO evasive measure made by the car to avoid the collision. Pretty sure the T3 did NOT detect the animal (large as it was). The only collision avoidance was me slamming the brakes (all-be-it, too late). So, for all the tesla fanboys...
And now you say:
Actually, I was not 'expecting' the T3 to detect or evade... just noting that it didn't.
Really? Your first post in this thread seemed pretty clear that you expected the car to react to the bear, with your derisive reference to “Tesla fanboys” meaning that some people have claimed that Teslas can automatically avoid animals on the road.

Reactions: Runt8 and MXWing
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge only one automotive company has large animal detection. That company would be Volvo.

Everyone else has systems that might or might not detect large animals. Nothing I've seen suggests that the active safety systems Tesla are capable of detecting large animals let alone capable of evasive maneuvers.

As to dash cam corruption that has been an issue. Hopefully Tesla will get it straightened out with V10. It's also possible to get file system corruption if dashcam isn't stopped before pulling the drive out.

Does the OP have HW2.5 or HW3?

It's hard to tell since April 2019 was about the time of the switch.

Your first post said:
And now you say:
Really? Your first post in this thread seemed pretty clear that you expected the car to react to the bear, with your derisive reference to “Tesla fanboys” meaning that some people have claimed that Teslas can automatically avoid animals on the road.

My interpretation was that the OP was upset with Tesla S/W before the incident happened so that set the stage for the tone of their post.

The bit about the failure to detect didn't seem like the OP had a major expectation that it would. Instead it seemed like they were a bit surprised at the non-detection despite the size, and that it was obviously moving. Heck I'd be surprised as well to not have even a FCW. But, overall it seemed mostly informational. Where they were just pointing out that there was no detection. I don't think enough Tesla fanboys are left on TMC to really call them out. So I glanced over that bit.

My interpretation was that the OP was upset with Tesla S/W before the incident happened so that set the stage for the tone of their post.

The bit about the failure to detect didn't seem like the OP had a major expectation that it would. Instead it seemed like they were a bit surprised at the non-detection despite the size, and that it was obviously moving. Heck I'd be surprised as well to not have even a FCW. But, overall it seemed mostly informational. Where they were just pointing out that there was no detection. I don't think enough Tesla fanboys are left on TMC to really call them out. So I glanced over that bit.
Bang on... ;-)

There are herds of wild zebras in the Hearst Castle area (descended from the escapees when their zoo was destroyed). As you drive along Hwy 1 in that area, they can mostly be spotted along the hwy and in the fields. Sometimes they will be right next to the Hwy and strangely enough - people don't notice and drive right past.
Others are sometimes spotted in the wild even as far north as San Jose.
giphy.gif

I found all videos from today are corrupted (can't be read). Yesterdays videos are fine...

Unfortunately this viewer isn't available for Mac, but it has code in it to detect and fix corrupt TeslaCam files (usually manifests as black video or stuck video). Don't know if you have parallels or a buddy with a PC, but it might be worth giving it a shot.

NateMccomb/TeslaCamViewer

Reactions: RKBA and bigroo42