TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Artax hits a Black Bear

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Artax, Sep 16, 2019.

1. MXWing

MXWing Banned

The lane keep assist on my Volt never worked the day I got it and it still doesn’t work the day I returned it.

As long as you have your car, Tesla still is and will work to improve it. Tesla said it would evolve cars but it didn’t obligate itself to anything besides self driving.

It’s obvious that user dashcam was not planned from the start. Tesla could have used USB 3.0 in front and setup the UI to view videos right on the teslapad.

I’ve even advocated that Tesla should do a freemium model with the dash cam. They can easily charge a subscription service for the UI features I mentioned along with cloud upload/storage, etc.

Yes when something is offered you expect it to work. The amount that you expect it to “work” should be proportionately related to how much you spent for it. Dash cam is a freebie. I don’t even get it on my Model X. I’ll take the half broken free dash cam on that car with no complaints.

I doubt your employer would randomly offer features, not charge them and offer SLA and warranty for such features.

I’m waiting when you tell me Porsche or GM, Ford etc offers better and reliable software support on their cars.

Who else does that software dashcam better?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Your first post said:
    And now you say:
    Really? Your first post in this thread seemed pretty clear that you expected the car to react to the bear, with your derisive reference to “Tesla fanboys” meaning that some people have claimed that Teslas can automatically avoid animals on the road.

• Like x 2
  3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge only one automotive company has large animal detection. That company would be Volvo.

Everyone else has systems that might or might not detect large animals. Nothing I've seen suggests that the active safety systems Tesla are capable of detecting large animals let alone capable of evasive maneuvers.

As to dash cam corruption that has been an issue. Hopefully Tesla will get it straightened out with V10. It's also possible to get file system corruption if dashcam isn't stopped before pulling the drive out.

Does the OP have HW2.5 or HW3?

It's hard to tell since April 2019 was about the time of the switch.

4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

My interpretation was that the OP was upset with Tesla S/W before the incident happened so that set the stage for the tone of their post.

The bit about the failure to detect didn't seem like the OP had a major expectation that it would. Instead it seemed like they were a bit surprised at the non-detection despite the size, and that it was obviously moving. Heck I'd be surprised as well to not have even a FCW. But, overall it seemed mostly informational. Where they were just pointing out that there was no detection. I don't think enough Tesla fanboys are left on TMC to really call them out. So I glanced over that bit.

5. Artax

Artax Member

Bang on... ;-)

6. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

[​IMG]

7. RKBA

RKBA Member

Give up on the thumb drives and buy a USB3->SATA adapter along with an SSD. I bought a $7 adapter from Newegg and a 240GB SSD for $30 from Fry's. I initially tried a couple USB3 thumb drives but they were only intermittently successful. No problems since I made this switch.

8. bigroo42

bigroo42 Member

Samesies. What he said!

9. eXntrc

eXntrc Member

Unfortunately this viewer isn't available for Mac, but it has code in it to detect and fix corrupt TeslaCam files (usually manifests as black video or stuck video). Don't know if you have parallels or a buddy with a PC, but it might be worth giving it a shot.

NateMccomb/TeslaCamViewer

• Like x 2