Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aside from Pedal Control (Normal to Sport) - how else to tell if the car has Accel Boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was referring to only 60' times. The Model 3 LR is about 2 seconds, and Model 3 LRAB is something like 1.9 seconds and Model 3 Performance is 1.7-1.8 seconds

My tune-only SHO would do 1.8 seconds all day long on worn out street tires, same with my tune-only Fusion Sport. The SHO's with drag radials could cut 1.7 on the track. The one thing I never liked on my Model 3 LR and LRAB is there's a noticeable delay when you punch the accelerator from a stop. At least on the EcoBoost cars I could brakeboost at the light to get a really good launch. The first few times I tried it on the Model 3 I got a power reduced warning message, lol.

That said, those tune-only cars are doing 0-60 in the low 4 second range and the 1/4 mile was in the 12.3-12.4 range. Kind of similar to the Model 3 Long Range actually, but with faster 60' times.

The MKZ 3.0 AWD with tune could run the 1/4 in the high 11s because of the bigger turbos on the 3.0 EcoBoost (which is a 2.7 EcoBoost with more displacement)
Roush supercharged mustangs, GT 500 Shelby, dodge hell cat, etc. Many high line hot rods have seen nothing but my rear tail lights as they go up in smoke. Old rule with racing, if your spinning you’re not winning.

This matches my experience with my K04 tuned A4. It really picked up on boost, but by that time an insurmountable deficit compared to my LR+AB. Plus, eventually I blew up the motor running it hard. The only thing to really wear out on the EV is the tires.

I don't need much boost at all on EcoBoost. The secret to tuning it (and I wrote a guide BTW) is not to increase the boost but rather to increase the torque limiters to levels that the drivetrain can handle, massage the max spark advance with the right fueling, etc... The factory speed density modeling takes into account the limits of the stock turbos (twin K03s on 2.7/3.0 and twin Garrett's on 3.5 transverse) and engine. The "tooners" are jacking up the torque tables and turbo settings to try and force "moar boost" and blowing up engines.

Like I said before, the 60' times for my tuned SHO and Fusion Sport are comparable to the stock Model 3 Performance 60' times. I'm talking real time slips from drag strips.

My Model 3 Long Range and Longe Range w/ Accel Boost have a NOTICEABLE hesitation off the line resulting in the 2-2.1 / 1.9 60' times respectively. Beyond that the Model 3 LR / LRAB have noticeably more torque. However my tuned SHO and Fusion Sport will still run 12.4 @ 111 mph in the 1/4 mile and I recall that is pretty much what the Model 3 LR is doing. The difference is that the Model 3 LR / LRAB has a lot more usable torque at any given time.

Roush supercharged mustangs, GT 500 Shelby, dodge hell cat, etc. Many high line hot rods have seen nothing but my rear tail lights as they go up in smoke. Old rule with racing, if your spinning you’re not winning.

I have no spin off the line with my tuned SHO / Fusion Sport because they are AWD like the Model 3 LR / LRAB. And I am ONLY talking 60' times and the hesitation I feel from the Model 3 LR / LRAB. I can cut 1.8 60' times with the SHO or Fusion Sport all day long with worn out street tires. The Model 3 LR / LRAB were what, 2-2.1 / 1.9 respectively. Only the Model 3 Performance comes close at about 1.8 seconds.