Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aside from Pedal Control (Normal to Sport) - how else to tell if the car has Accel Boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to buy the Accel Boost upgrade again, and this time around it does show up under the Software Tab. My guess is that the first time around, had I waited until the refund period was over it may show up. Probably a hard code that shows Accel Boost as a package once you can't refund it.

The Boost in acceleration is subtle. After driving it several weeks I noticed that because power consumption is higher if you hold the throttle too open for too long or if you do a lot of launching. Sounds logical and common sense but it's something to be aware of. In real gentle stop and go driving or cruising it is the same as stock. I was averaging 170 to 185 Wh per mile in normal driving.

A few times I really needed all the power, and my consumption level was like 900 Wh per mile which I have never seen before before Accel Boost. But it felt like a subtle increase in power, nothing night or day. There's less lag off the line as well.

I appreciate everyone's help and input. Hopefully if someone else had the same questions I had will stumble on this thread in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I have never ridden in a 3 LR with Acceleration boost. My own Model 3 is a 2018 Model 3 Performance. When Acceleration boost came out and became a thing people could buy from Tesla, the original threads were basically like " When vtech kicked in, yo!" talking about it, lol.

Actual measured differences from real-world user data (doubtless there's individuals who've gotten slightly better or worse times since I compiled these, but the overall variance should be similar vehicle to vehicle)

LRAWD2.png

Actual measured differences from real-world user data (doubtless there's individuals who've gotten slightly better or worse times since I compiled these, but the overall variance should be similar vehicle to vehicle)

View attachment 980381
That pretty much goes along with what I feel. Just going by 0-60 it seems LR+AB should be right in the middle between LR and P. But it’s still much closer to LR than it is to P. The difference in feel between LR+AB to P is much greater than LR to AB.

Up to about 40 mph the AB shaves ~0.07 from LR times. P shaves ~0.18 from LR and another ~0.10 from LR+AB.

Reactions: metroplex
but honestly it's just a subtle difference to me. Maybe it's because I'm used to fast acceleration. I have gas cars that do the 60' faster than the Model 3 Performance.
Just curious: what gas cars are you referring to, and how does their 0-60 and 1/4 mi. compare to the LR+AB?

I previously owned a v8 Jag and a K04 APR tuned Audi, and my LR+AB is on another plane of existence for departing traffic lights and even 40mph rolling races…

Just curious: what gas cars are you referring to, and how does their 0-60 and 1/4 mi. compare to the LR+AB?

I previously owned a v8 Jag and a K04 APR tuned Audi, and my LR+AB is on another plane of existence for departing traffic lights and even 40mph rolling races…

I was referring to only 60' times. The Model 3 LR is about 2 seconds, and Model 3 LRAB is something like 1.9 seconds and Model 3 Performance is 1.7-1.8 seconds

My tune-only SHO would do 1.8 seconds all day long on worn out street tires, same with my tune-only Fusion Sport. The SHO's with drag radials could cut 1.7 on the track. The one thing I never liked on my Model 3 LR and LRAB is there's a noticeable delay when you punch the accelerator from a stop. At least on the EcoBoost cars I could brakeboost at the light to get a really good launch. The first few times I tried it on the Model 3 I got a power reduced warning message, lol.

That said, those tune-only cars are doing 0-60 in the low 4 second range and the 1/4 mile was in the 12.3-12.4 range. Kind of similar to the Model 3 Long Range actually, but with faster 60' times.

The MKZ 3.0 AWD with tune could run the 1/4 in the high 11s because of the bigger turbos on the 3.0 EcoBoost (which is a 2.7 EcoBoost with more displacement)

Reactions: Longrangeboost
That said, those tune-only cars are doing 0-60 in the low 4 second range and the 1/4 mile was in the 12.3-12.4 range. Kind of similar to the Model 3 Long Range actually, but with faster 60' times.

The MKZ 3.0 AWD with tune could run the 1/4 in the high 11s because of the bigger turbos on the 3.0 EcoBoost (which is a 2.7 EcoBoost with more displacement)
For others reading (as I assume you already know this), LR AWD+AB is rated 3.9 to 60, tested to as low as 3.7. Performance rated 3.1. 1/4mi of 11.9 and 11.5, respectively. These might be with 1’ rollouts(?), but mighty respectable for any car with no wrenching off the lot.

For others reading (as I assume you already know this), LR AWD+AB is rated 3.9 to 60, tested to as low as 3.7. Performance rated 3.1. 1/4mi of 11.9 and 11.5, respectively. These might be with 1’ rollouts(?), but mighty respectable for any car with no wrenching off the lot.

I was talking about 60' times in your original question. No one is questioning the performance of the Model 3 LR/AB/Perf in general.

The 60' times I mention are taken from the timeslips at dragstrips. I'll say it again, that split second delay in the Model 3 LR and LRAB is rather annoying when punching the accelerator from a stop and the tuned EcoBoost V6 cars could at least be brake boosted.

Not much wrenching was needed. I made the tunes myself for both the SHO (3.5 EcoBoost) and Fusion Sport (2.7 EcoBoost).

The Model 3 LR/AB is faster overall though, the instant torque when the car is moving is unmistakably faster than the tuned EcoBoost cars. With those ICE cars, the transmission has to unlock the converter, downshift a few times, get the turbos spooled up, etc... Or if you're already in the right gear with manual downshifting in sport mode, the turbos still need a bit of time to spool up. And if the weather is hot and humid, the stock intercoolers are tiny so you get heatsoaked a bit. Not an issue with the Model 3 LR/AB or Performance!

The Model 3 LR/AB is faster overall though, the instant torque when the car is moving is unmistakably faster than the tuned EcoBoost cars. With those ICE cars, the transmission has to unlock the converter, downshift a few times, get the turbos spooled up, etc... Or if you're already in the right gear with manual downshifting in sport mode, the turbos still need a bit of time to spool up. And if the weather is hot and humid, the stock intercoolers are tiny so you get heatsoaked a bit. Not an issue with the Model 3 LR/AB or Performance!
This matches my experience with my K04 tuned A4. It really picked up on boost, but by that time an insurmountable deficit compared to my LR+AB. Plus, eventually I blew up the motor running it hard. The only thing to really wear out on the EV is the tires.

The issue is ONE of those is with rollout and the other is not.

Tesla has been doing that dishonest practice since at least the old P85 Model S and continues it today where they try and made the non-P cars look worse than they really are compared to the performance trim to encourage more folks to upgrade.

Apples to apples the gap is smaller than Tesla wants you to think. See below for actual times from actual owners with measurement methods listed for apples to apples.

LRAWD2.png