Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ATT 3G Service Planned Shutdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car all but needs connectivity to function properly. It’s their responsibility.
The car will function as a car just fine.

That proves they knew 3G would be shuttered. Use that as leverage at your own peril.

They "knew" because a 3G shutdown had been rumored and discussed for a while. However, they only added the "retrofits and upgrades" text more recently. Now, I suppose someone could try to argue that Tesla never told them (at time of purchase) that they would be responsible for retrofits or upgrades to keep receiving "lifetime" premium connectivity.

This is a risk companies take when they say a technology related part or feature is "included" or "lifetime." It sounds good at the time and helps sell product but technology changes and evolves which means it could cost the company $$ down the road if they have to upgrade or replace parts in order to continue to satisfy an initial claim/promise. It could also create customer dissatisfaction issues if the owner is the one forced to pay for upgrades or replacements as seems to be the case here.

A somewhat similar situation occurred with FSD when Tesla was stating cars had the "hardware needed for full self-driving capability." That turned out not being the case for those cars (and even today may end up not being the case) and in that circumstance, Tesla provided free hardware upgrades for those cars with FSD or when owners purchased FSD. FSD subscriptions were excluded from the free upgrade, however.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
They "knew" because a 3G shutdown had been rumored and discussed for a while. However, they only added the "retrofits and upgrades" text more recently. Now, I suppose someone could try to argue that Tesla never told them (at time of purchase) that they would be responsible for retrofits or upgrades to keep receiving "lifetime" premium connectivity.

This is a risk companies take when they say a technology related part or feature is "included" or "lifetime." It sounds good at the time and helps sell product but technology changes and evolves which means it could cost the company $$ down the road if they have to upgrade or replace parts in order to continue to satisfy an initial claim/promise. It could also create customer dissatisfaction issues if the owner is the one forced to pay for upgrades or replacements as seems to be the case here.

A somewhat similar situation occurred with FSD when Tesla was stating cars had the "hardware needed for full self-driving capability." That turned out not being the case for those cars (and even today may end up not being the case) and in that circumstance, Tesla provided free hardware upgrades for those cars with FSD or when owners purchased FSD. FSD subscriptions were excluded from the free upgrade, however.
“Lifetime” connectivity for early cars was conferred as a benefit many years after said cars were delivered. Guidance at the time was to expect free connectivity for 4 years, at which point there may be a fee. Nobody who bought a car with a 3G radio bought it with the assumption that they were entitled to free connectivity and radio upgrades to support it forever.

• Funny
“Lifetime” connectivity for early cars was conferred as a benefit many years after said cars were delivered. Guidance at the time was to expect free connectivity for 4 years, at which point there may be a fee. Nobody who bought a car with a 3G radio bought it with the assumption that they were entitled to free connectivity and radio upgrades to support it forever.
They can afford it. And on that note, they can also afford to replace poor performing battery packs over nerfing them just enough to push them over warranty period.

Anything else is in bad faith and should be met with a class action.

This situation clearly seems to have irritated some but my main point was that when tech is involved, companies claiming at any time that hardware or features are included, lifetime, etc. run the risk that the tech/feature/hardware will eventually no longer be able to function as promised. It can therefore end up requiring replacement or upgrade at the company's (as Tesla handles the FSD situation) or owner's (as Tesla handles the 3G situation) expense, if it's even possible.

Given that we had already seen 1G (and then 2G) networks shut down, I'm kind of surprised Tesla didn't have the forethought to recognize that 3G was next and would've put the “excluding retrofits or upgrades…” text out there before this year. Perhaps Tesla had initially planned to cover the cost? I don't know.

$200 (retail) isn't that much and we're not talking about a lot of potentially impacted cars here as far as 3G. Tesla doesn't get high marks for customer service and this would seem to be a fairly inexpensive way to get some needed positive customer service PR for the brand.

They have agreed to put the $200 unit so I'm getting that. Wow, I haven't been on this forum in years and just a chance visit got me this great information.

Now ...... I need to find a thread on this recall and what is happening with my car. They are having trouble with the software - rather firmware, they said on the phone. I was on my bike (my other transportation) so I couldn't carry on a detailed conversation about what the problem is. If there's a thread on this please do share - I will also search.

• Informative
That is what I remember when I bought in 2014. They said connectivity was 'free for now' but might cost/ have fee in the future.

Tesla covering the $200 would be a nice-to-have, certainly not an expectation, due to carriers dropping support for 3G. The goodwill here is that it used to cost $500 if you wanted LTE. Now that hand is being forced, they reduced it way down. Tesla owners will be fine.
The real/truly impactful issue I read about is with all the senior citizens with Life Alert units around their necks. Apparently they run on 3G and getting the word out and having replacement h/w with LTE has been quite a challenge. That may delay 3G shutdown by a bit because no carrier wants the potential negative PR as you might imagine. “Florida man wasn’t able to call for help because his Life Alert unit was no longer supported by XXX carrier.”

Lots of other connected car services have had similar transitions as a result of 2G and 3G network retirements. Can you cite one example of an automaker covering the upgrade for free?

Are there any automakers that had offered lifetime connectivity? This is not just about offering a feature or service at one point or another, Tesla offered premium connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.

This is not just about offering a feature or service at one point or another, Tesla offered premium connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.
No, they didn't. When they originally sold the car they said it included 4 years of connectivity. They later decided to not charge the early adopters after the 4 years that were included.

No, they didn't. When they originally sold the car they said it included 4 years of connectivity. They later decided to not charge the early adopters after the 4 years that were included.
Well. Then that’s their fault and to that end they’d be on the hook for a free upgrade even if they made it a paid service rather than extend the benefit in perpetuity — Only difference there is they would be upgrading you in order to keep you as a subscriber.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and ucmndd
Are there any automakers that had offered lifetime connectivity? This is not just about offering a feature or service at one point or another, Tesla offered premium connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.
Nerp, they didn’t.

And even if they did, I fail to see how that obligates them to provide radio upgrades for free. A free service in no way implies free hardware.

I didn't say it was necessarily when the car was originally sold. I was speaking to the fact that certain Teslas (ordered before June 30, 2018) have premium connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.

I didn't say it was necessarily when the car was originally sold. I was speaking to the fact that certain Teslas (ordered before June 30, 2018) have premium connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.
No. Nobody bought a Tesla with the expectation that they would receive free premium connectivity forever, including any necessary hardware updates.

Nobody.