Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ATTN Y owners: easy Qs I’ve never seen answers for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who has their Ys, just some simple questions:

1. What UMC did your Y come with? Nema 5-15 or 14-50?
  2. How many amps or kw is it?
  3. Can you exchange the ends or is it hard wired for whatever plug it came with? (Is it adaptable?)
  4. Can you post the Monroney Sticker (appropriately censored, if you wish).
  5. How many MPGe city and hwy?
Thank you for your support.

1. 5-15, for a normal 15A household circuit
2. 15A circuit @120V, maximum continuous draw = 80% = 12A, so power from the wall is 1.44 kW, charges around 1.15 - 1.2 kW/hr
3. Yes, unplug the 5-15 and plug in the end you buy
4. ???
5. Google it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilot1226
For decades, that used to be glued to the side window at gasmobile dealerships.

Can you post it or PM it to me? Googling just gets me Model 3 stickers.

Also, has anyone tried mounting their 18” model 3 Aeros to the Y? I’m considering them for winter wheels where we get snow not just cold rain.

Consider the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) to be a "jack of all trades" EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) safety device. Depending on the "pigtail" you buy and the outlet you are plugging into the UMC can charge from about 4 MPH to about 28 MPH charging speed. That's the sweet spot for cost vs charging speed and utility. But you do need a dedicated 240V 40 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet installed to get that 28 MPH.

And remember the "charger" is built into the car, it's not that box plugged into the outlet.

Last edited:
1 Comes with 5-15. Easily interchangeable.
2 Usually 15/20 A but I believe the internal charger sense the 120V and probably assumes 15/20 A and then cuts that down by 20%, so you can charge 3-4 miles per hour.
3 I bought a 14-50 plug from tesla website and am using that with the 240V 50A circuit I had a friendly electrician install. Works great.
4 No idea
5 will take others info and guess ~120 MPGe

But you do need a dedicated 240V 40 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet installed to get that 28 MPH.

And remember the "charger" is built into the car, it's not that box plugged into the outlet.

Important to remember.

Batteries are DC, your home power system is AC. To charge your Tesla at home using AC, the charger unit built into the car will take that AC power and create the DC inside the car that it needs to charge the battery. The size/capacity of that unit to convert AC into DC is limited to 11.5 kW, which means the speed you can charge by AC power at home is limited to 11.5kW/hr when it maxes out. 11.5 kW when driven by 240V AC is 48A, and that 48A is 80 percent of capacity of outlet, so that means you are connected to a 240V 60A circuit in your garage.

Tesla Superchargers bypass the AC/DC charger built into the car by providing DC power to the car so the battery can be charged much quicker, only limited to the power the supercharger can supply and how much the battery can safely take. Tesla Supercharger - Wikipedia

Edit: Onboard Charger
and Wall Connector

Last edited:

Attachments

• F890D705-E209-4009-8DBA-EEB191FC4BF9.jpeg
    F890D705-E209-4009-8DBA-EEB191FC4BF9.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 89