Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi e-tron SB commercial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get it, as one of the previous owners of a "clean diesel" I felt a little better about driving that car until the news came out, VW was punished financially for this but one of their punishments will likely give them an advantage in the EV space going forward, ironic isn't it?

True. The punishment should be for it to promote EV in general not only for the benefit of its own products which they needed to do anyway. And keep using the word electrified for cars still have an ICE in them is dishonest to say the least. I know companies like Toyota do that too but they at least did not do things in the past that need genuine redemption.

Last edited:
What's wrong with that term now? It would be dishonest if they claimed they were exclusively BEVs, but they specifically aren't saying that. The term electrified car is technically correct and commonly understood to include BEVs and hybrids.

Most lay people would not be able to tell, or notice, the difference between the two. What's the problem with making it clear and just say combined BEV and hybrid, or even better tell us how many BEV it will be making? I don't think making it clear was ever the intention. Only a VERY SMALL fraction of that 1/3 "electrified" vehicles would be BEV. They are doing everything possible to not let people to know that.

Deceptive advertisement is not even close to what worse things VWG has ever done. Not going to trust a company with that kind of culture anymore. Just need to mention that so you know where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
Most lay people would not be able to tell, or notice, the difference between the two.
If they don't know the difference anyway, what's the problem?

Generally, I don't really understand what your issue with Audi making hybrids in addition to BEVs is. Hybrids will have their place for many years to come. Pure EVs aren't suitable for all use cases yet and are still too expensive for many customers.
What's the problem with making it clear and just say combined BEV and hybrid
I'd say the problem is that nobody has time to read long explanations in the 2 seconds the text appears on the screen.
or even better tell us how many BEV it will be making? I don't think making it clear was ever the intention. Only a VERY SMALL fraction of that 1/3 "electrified" vehicles would be BEV. They are doing everything possible to not let people to know that.
Actually they have already said that "most" of the electrified vehicles will be all-electric:

Audi reveals plan to sell ‘800,000 electrified cars in 2025’ – ‘most of them all-electric’

If they don't know the difference anyway, what's the problem?

Generally, I don't really understand what your issue with Audi making hybrids in addition to BEVs is. Hybrids will have their place for many years to come. Pure EVs aren't suitable for all use cases yet and are still too expensive for many customers.
I'd say the problem is that nobody has time to read long explanations in the 2 seconds the text appears on the screen.
Actually they have already said that "most" of the electrified vehicles will be all-electric:

Audi reveals plan to sell ‘800,000 electrified cars in 2025’ – ‘most of them all-electric’
They also said this five years ago
Volkswagen Will Be The Biggest Electric-Car Maker In 2018, It Says

9729FF44-E2B9-4BC8-8C1F-4BCBB2C8AB12.jpeg

I think if you want to argue about overly ambitious goals and missed targets you shouldn't be doing it on a Tesla forum. :p

It may very well be that Audi's announced plans don't pan out. We'll see. But I don't see anything deceptive in this ad.
While VW/Audi has been papering the world with press releases over the past 5 years, Tesla has been building cars... actual EVs... and selling them to the point where they are the dominant EV maker and the dominant luxury car maker in the world. Meanwhile, VW/Audi is still excelling in press releases... no so much in actual EVs that you might be able to buy.

Ouch! That's embarrassing! Especially since it's plainly clear that it wasn't an accidentally missed target but purposeful propoganda to slow the defectiion rate. I mean, seriously, if VW's goal was to be the market leaader in EV sales last year and you still don't have even a basic EV on offer, well, that's pretty telling about what is really going on here.

Reactions: byeLT4 and mspohr
I think if you want to argue about overly ambitious goals and missed targets you shouldn't be doing it on a Tesla forum. :p

It may very well be that Audi's announced plans don't pan out. We'll see. But I don't see anything deceptive in this ad.

C'mon. Tesla's products are 100% BEV since a decade ago. It sales more of them than the rest combined at this moment. No idea what "Audi's plan pan out means". It does not even want to tell people how many BEV it plans to produce in 2025 not to mention 2020.

Ouch! That's embarrassing! Especially since it's plainly clear that it wasn't an accidentally missed target but purposeful propoganda to slow the defectiion rate. I mean, seriously, if VW's goal was to be the market leaader in EV sales last year and you still don't have even a basic EV on offer, well, that's pretty telling about what is really going on here.
They have the e-Golf, which is one of the best-selling BEVs in Europe. But they never said they'd be market leaders for BEVs by 2018. What they actually said is that they aimed for a leading position in "Elektromobilitaet", which includes BEVs and hybrids. BTW, this goal was set in 2011.

C'mon. Tesla's products are 100% BEV since a decade ago. It sales more of them than the rest combined at this moment. No idea what "Audi's plan pan out means". It does not even want to tell people how many BEV it plans to produce in 2025 not to mention 2020.
How are they supposed to know exactly what the market for BEVs will look like in 2025? There are still a lot of question marks regarding the market acceptance. Producing millions of BEVs doesn't make sense if there aren't enough buyers.